The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

29 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Six points and two clean sheets from our first three games. What a start! Two of those games against two of last seasons top five aswell.

What a job Jim has done. That’s us won three of our last four games one nil, you don’t do that at this level unless you’re a seriously well organised and well coached team.

Question for the stattos... when did we last have six or more points after three games of a top flight campaign?

We started the 2006/2007 season with two wins if I remember correctly. We beat ICT 2-1 Away and then beat Motherwell 2-0 at Home. Going to Parkhead for Game Three we were Top of the League. 

1 hour ago, Caldy_87 said:

We started the 2006/2007 season with two wins if I remember correctly. We beat ICT 2-1 Away and then beat Motherwell 2-0 at Home. Going to Parkhead for Game Three we were Top of the League. 

f**ks sake, I cannot believe that was 14 years ago!

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Six points and two clean sheets from our first three games. What a start! Two of those games against two of last seasons top five aswell.

What a job Jim has done. That’s us won three of our last four games one nil, you don’t do that at this level unless you’re a seriously well organised and well coached team.

Question for the stattos... when did we last have six or more points after three games of a top flight campaign?

As others have have mentioned, we won our first 2 games in 06/07 and had 6 pts and were top of the league

god bless gus 

2 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

As others have have mentioned, we won our first 2 games in 06/07 and had 6 pts and were top of the league

god bless gus 

I'm trying to forget what happened during the rest of that season.

We shit-fested our way to 2 wins in about 5 months before turning it around right at the death.

5-1 defeats to Celtic and Hibs were particularly memorable as well as that gut churning 1-0 home defeat to Dunfermline with a few games to go.

Mind you, we had the 1-0 Tynecastle win, the 2-0 win away at Falkirk and then the Motherwell win which will never be forgotten.

57 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm trying to forget what happened during the rest of that season.

We shit-fested our way to 2 wins in about 5 months before turning it around right at the death.

5-1 defeats to Celtic and Hibs were particularly memorable as well as that gut churning 1-0 home defeat to Dunfermline with a few games to go.

Mind you, we had the 1-0 Tynecastle win, the 2-0 win away at Falkirk and then the Motherwell win which will never be forgotten.

I remember a memorable win at Tannadice near the end of the season. Sunday Mail awarded Kirk B.roadfoot 10/10, probably the best game of his career 

Edited by Sue Denim

10 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

god bless gus 

He was a good manager for us but he had become stale & predictable by the end of his tenure.

IIRC after a good "first quarter" in 06/07 the knives started to appear for GM in Autumn 2006 when results started to falter - staying up that season with the obvious disparity in budgets was probably his greatest achievement for us.

Edited by Bud the Baker

He was a good manager for us but he had become stale & predictable by the end of his tenure.
IIRC after a good "first quarter" in 06/07 the knives started to appear for GM in Autumn 2006 when results started to falter - staying up that season with the obvious disparity in budgets was probably his greatest achievement for us.

What about the double winning promotion in 2006? Keeping us up in 2004? Our first cup final in 33 years?

Gus turned us from a club who spent most of its time in the second tier - one top flight season in the 15 years prior to us winning the league in 2006 - to a club who now spends most of its time in the top flight. Just three second tier campaigns in the last 14 years.

What an improvement.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

What about the double winning promotion in 2006? Keeping us up in 2004? Our first cup final in 33 years?

Gus turned us from a club who spent most of its time in the second tier - one top flight season in the 15 years prior to us winning the league in 2006 - to a club who now spends most of its time in the top flight. Just three second tier campaigns in the last 14 years.

What an improvement.

23 years! I'm old enough as it is without folk slipping an extra decade in there!

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

What an improvement.

My opinion is staying up in 2006/07 in a division where we clearly had the smallest budget (remember Carl Finnegan?) and the dogfight against Dunfermline who essentially bankrupted themselves in an attempt to stay up (remember Stephen Kenny & Adam Hammill?) as GMs greatest task. 

PS - Your memory of 2003/04 is unreliable we were in 7th position - 9 pts ahead of Ayr when GM was appointed we were never in any danger of relegation. Coughlin was just keeping the seat warm for GM after the latter was brought to the club.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

My opinion is staying up in 2006/07 in a division where we clearly had the smallest budget (remember Carl Finnegan?) and the dogfight against Dunfermline who essentially bankrupted themselves in an attempt to stay up (remember Stephen Kenny & Adam Hammill?) as GMs greatest task. 

PS - Your memory of 2003/04 is unreliable we were in 7th position - 9 pts ahead of Ayr when GM was appointed we were never in any danger of relegation. Coughlin was just keeping the seat warm for GM after the latter was brought to the club.

Carl Finnegan ?   :unsure:

Edited by pod

22 minutes ago, pod said:

Carl Finnegan ?   :unsure:

A Newcastle reserve forward that Falkirk snatched under our noses at the end of the Jan 2007 transfer window, he went on to have an underwhelming career - my point is that we were the financial minnows of the division that season and staying up was more impressive than promotion the season before.

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2003–2007 Newcastle United 0 (0)
2007–2011 Falkirk 113 (25)
2011–2012 St Johnstone 11 (0)
2012  Dundee (loan) 5 (3)
2012–2013 Dundee 8 (1)
2013–2014 Chippa United 9 (4)
2014–2015 Gateshead 22 (7)
2015–2016 Township Rollers 21 (9)
2016–2019 South Shields 115 (72)
2019– Whickham 19 (11)
2019–  Morpeth Town (loan)

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

A Newcastle reserve forward that Falkirk snatched under our noses at the end of the Jan 2007 transfer window, he went on to have an underwhelming career - my point is that we were the financial minnows of the division that season and staying up was more impressive than promotion the season before.

Thanks, no loss then.  

• 4 weeks later...

Far from a bad start points wise, but performances haven't been a good standard,  especially the last 2 and half games. 

With Shaughnessy coming back in this week,  defensively we should in improve. For me its still midfield that needs the biggest improvement.

Far from a bad start points wise, but performances haven't been a good standard,  especially the last 2 and half games. 
With Shaughnessy coming back in this week,  defensively we should in improve. For me its still midfield that needs the biggest improvement.
Maybe if we had a player of the quality of Sam Foley playing in midfield, flanked by the youthful energy of Erhahon and MacPherson, that might help?

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if Goodwin stopped doing post match interviews?
His interviews used to be put up on YouTube, but I haven’t seen anything since the Livingston game.

I think they only post them when we win bud, so you’ll get one tomorrow.

This forum still a thing?