The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Lol at how dead this forum is.
Quick question for the stattos on here though, asked it elsewhere but haven’t got an answer yet.
When was the last time we went nine competitive games unbeaten in a top flight season? Is it 1968?
Jim got something historic going here.
Is the fantastic St Mirren info site gone for good, or is has it just been down all weekend?

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Lol at how dead this forum is.
Quick question for the stattos on here though, asked it elsewhere but haven’t got an answer yet.
When was the last time we went nine competitive games unbeaten in a top flight season? Is it 1968?
Jim got something historic going here.
Is the fantastic St Mirren info site gone for good, or is has it just been down all weekend?

Season 76/77 we went 27 games unbeaten.

68/69 was 1 LC game followed by 11 League games.

This season's run of 9 games comprises 2 LC then 1 League then 2 LC followed by 4 League games (a total of 5 consecutive League games) although I see Soccerbase have put our two 3-0 defeats in their original dates spoiling both sequences. :boo:

Results for St Mirren for 1968-69 (londonhearts.com)

Sat Nov 16 1968   L1   St Mirren 1-0 Rangers   St Mirren Park (Love Street) 42653

My first ever game which was attended by 42653 - FFS

Edited by Bud the Baker

8 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

That was league games

Our run is made up with league cup games against lower league teams

Not the same

6 hours ago, TopCat said:

Is there a run that’s made up of league and cup games that surpasses it in the last 50 years?
If so, when?

In fairness I doubt there’s been another season ever when we’ve had 4 cup games in a 9 game sequence, all against lower league teams.
The run is excellent but really don’t think we can compare it to any other season. 

In fairness I doubt there’s been another season ever when we’ve had 4 cup games in a 9 game sequence, all against lower league teams.

The run is excellent but really don’t think we can compare it to any other season. 

Well there has. Last season was one of them 🤣

Going through the league cup group stage unbeaten itself was an achievement given our record in that competition since we won it.

The fact we have also went five unbeaten against top flight teams at the same time, and four of those games were against teams who finished in the top five last year, is quite something.

It’s a remarkable run of form and the management and players deserve full credit.

39 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well there has. Last season was one of them 🤣

Going through the league cup group stage unbeaten itself was an achievement given our record in that competition since we won it.

The fact we have also went five unbeaten against top flight teams at the same time, and four of those games were against teams who finished in the top five last year, is quite something.

It’s a remarkable run of form and the management and players deserve full credit.

Yipee.......................

image.png.1551e228a5bebe11217e76693ba6c337.png

29 minutes ago, TopCat said:

A quite remarkable position given our well documented off field issues.

I think it's down to determination which comes down to management team and making players believe they can do it.

We look more balanced albeit in the striker department. I agree with dipping back into the irish league or maybe a loan deal from say english championship club, most who are loaned out in January are going to be moved on so it's a good chance to put themselves in shop window either for another club or even a contract with us. 

8 hours ago, TopCat said:

A quite remarkable position given our well documented off field issues.

^^^^Easily pleased.

Top 6 Tony must be getting excited. :lol:

It's well noticed you were nowhere to be seen before Saturday.........................that wouldn't have been because we were bottom of the league would it? :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

^^^^Easily pleased.
Top 6 Tony must be getting excited. :lol:
It's well noticed you were nowhere to be seen before Saturday.........................that wouldn't have been because we were bottom of the league would it? :lol:

When you consider that we had a COVID afflicted squad, were signing keepers on the morning of matches and other similar madness and we’ve have had off field issues gift two of our rivals three nil wins against us... and we are STILL not in the bottom two, you are right I’m very pleased with that.
If you miss me that much you always reach out on Pie and Bovril and twitter. Came back here to get that question answered, which I did, thanks HSS... see the forum hasn’t changed at all in my absence. Will let you get back to it 🤣