The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

5 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

While Jims good the jurys still out on whether he is the best young manager in the league, I'd say one of the best.

However you have to laugh at the muppets going on about how Gerrard is so good, I agree he is good but he has been given no challenge as he has had almost limitless funds (compared to his competitors) and his only real competitor imploding this year. If Gerrard had started at a lower club and done as well as Goody or JR then I could agree but for me again the jury's out.

At least when you compare to Joey Barton (whose an arse) Fleetwood they punched well above their weight in that league and have been in freefall since they sacked him.

SS

That's a lot of juries in there Swiss Saint. 😁

It's a bit early for that level of praise but the media have always done this sort of thing. The country is littered with people they have declared as "superstar" managers who are no longer in the game.

Like anyone else in the game, Jim is only ever 3 or 4 games away from entitled brats among the support, who have paid their money and feel that entitles them to say what the hell they want, jumping down his throat.

I always like to see a manager get an entire season and then judging. We could easily have seen Jim sacked before November and now look at us.

If he gets us to 5th place and a European slot I reckon he'll be in with the crook at Livi and Davidson at St Johnstone for manager of the year. No OF manager should be anywhere near that award.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's a bit early for that level of praise but the media have always done this sort of thing. The country is littered with people they have declared as "superstar" managers who are no longer in the game.

Like anyone else in the game, Jim is only ever 3 or 4 games away from entitled brats among the support, who have paid their money and feel that entitles them to say what the hell they want, jumping down his throat.

I always like to see a manager get an entire season and then judging. We could easily have seen Jim sacked before November and now look at us.

If he gets us to 5th place and a European slot I reckon he'll be in with the crook at Livi and Davidson at St Johnstone for manager of the year. No OF manager should be anywhere near that award.

Gerrard will get manager of the year without any shadow of a doubt.

They’ll make out that it’s some big achievement. Phoenix from the flames and all that shite. 

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Irony? 

So you're allowed to say what you want when you DON'T pay anything toward his wages but those who do are "entitled brats" just because you pick a different time to do so?

Calling you a fool is an insult.... to a fool.

Edited by stlucifer

2 hours ago, Swiss_Saint said:

While Jims good the jurys still out on whether he is the best young manager in the league, I'd say one of the best.

Dunno the age difference between JG and Martindale, but Martindale has set a lot more heather alight than JG this season, with similarly tight financial constraints.

ETA

Martindale seems to be 7 years older.

Edited by antrin

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Dunno the age difference between JG and Martindale, but Martindale has set a lot more heather alight than JG this season, with similarly tight financial constraints.

Never said he wasnt, in fact I said one of the best for JG.

Martindale has done wonders, JR at Hibs, Goodie, although older Mcinnes is a very good manager even if they have a rough spell right now.

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Gerrard will get manager of the year without any shadow of a doubt.

They’ll make out that it’s some big achievement. Phoenix from the flames and all that shite. 

Don't like saying it but he had also done well in Europe so that will help his cause for MOTY

On 2/8/2021 at 3:23 PM, oaksoft said:

I think the media is becoming worse than ever for blowing hot and cold with teams/managers. Same in England, if not worse: the likes of Arteta and Lampard have been variously hailed as the next big thing/slammed depending on their last result. Same with Solskjaer - obviously they're doing ok at the minute but he's been great then shit then great then shit and now great again. A couple months back and I'd read Mourinho was bringing the title to Spurs finally. The guy at Southampton whose name I can't spell was the latest in the Southampton manager factory line, but now they can't buy a win and got horsed 9-0 for the second time in two years.

As you say, it's important to judge actual success over a season. 

ETA
Martindale seems to be 7 years older.
They have something in common.

Both were involved in the sales of sweeties.

Where TC?

I have no idea, I know that a few Aberdeen fans are keen on him. Think there will be English Championship clubs sniffing about too.
Hope I’m wrong and he sees out his contract of course, but if he does take us into the top six then he will turn a lot of heads.