The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Really not sure what your point is. What is the relevance of them being in the top division in 1897?

Perhaps you could Google how many of those seasons they finished 3rd In the league like they did last season, compared to how many times they’ve finished in a position equal to or below the position they were in when JR got sacked. 

Okay... your miffed I proved that they were an established top league side (except for 4 yrs) their 3rd last season showed where they believed they ought to be. J R never got sacked for being 3rd, it was the spiraling away from 3rd that killed him.

Results game for every club and JR wasn't getting them.

To be honest I cannot see JG being interested in Aberdeen job. They are hardly the most managerial secure club to be at whereas with us he is. They are still in the belief that they are a 'big' team. Sadly there is 2 and the other 10 all capable of beating each other and fighting it out for essentially 4 places. He knows the financial constraints of saints and can work with it. Also whoever take over at Aberdeen now will have to work with whats there. Not exactly ideal.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Clubs , or is that owners, have short memories. 

Owners, fans, results, behaviour and other things  determine the stay of execution in the management team... look at the Fakes. Will Davidson still be in post if they lose the next 2 or 3 ? It's the way it in - especially in football and some other businesses

6 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Okay... your miffed I proved that they were an established top league side (except for 4 yrs) their 3rd last season showed where they believed they ought to be. J R never got sacked for being 3rd, it was the spiraling away from 3rd that killed him.

Results game for every club and JR wasn't getting them.

Righty ho Sweeper. Whatever you say. Too busy to split any more hairs with you.

If you think Hibs having expectations above what JR delivered is justified based on their history, then I’ll leave you to those deluded thoughts 👍

I think they will consider Brown... its the cheap option and he looks as though hes about passed it on the playing side though he might try to do both.

A few months to plan and save for the next manager if it doesn't work out.

Edited by Sweeper07

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If you think Hibs having expectations above what JR delivered is justified based on their history, then I’ll leave you to those deluded thoughts 👍

We're only sharing very different opinions. What about Davidson - do you think he'll keep his job after 2 cup wins but likely stuck in relegation places?

6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

By the way, they are below us despite having something like 3 times the budget... if that continues Maloney will be away too

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Hibernian have competed in the top division of Scottish football in all but four seasons since they first gained entry to the top division in 1895.  

Seven seasons. You'd think you'd fact check stuff like that before posting it. I knew off the top of my head it was more than four as I remember them being in the 1st/championship for two spells totalling 4 years.

The four seasons I remember have come in the last 23 years. A relatively short period of time.

Hibs certainly are not immune from a shite spell taking them down. Practically unthinkable up until the turn of the century but since then? They've had their issues on occasion.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Seven seasons. You'd think you'd fact check stuff like that before posting it. I knew off the top of my head it was more than four as I remember them being in the 1st/championship for two spells totalling 4 years.

The four seasons I remember have come in the last 23 years. A relatively short period of time.

Hibs certainly are not immune from a shite spell taking them down. Practically unthinkable up until the turn of the century but since then? They've had their issues on occasion.

Ha ha. I thought that myself, but I genuinely couldn’t be arsed checking 🤣🤣

42 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Owners, fans, results, behaviour and other things  determine the stay of execution in the management team... look at the Fakes. Will Davidson still be in post if they lose the next 2 or 3 ? It's the way it in - especially in football and some other businesses

Ultimately the decision rests with the owners whoever they may be. The rest are important contributors. Bottom line is that results matter

12 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Eh? St. Johnstone are bottom of the league and Davidson is still in a job. What on earth are you on about? 

Will he be for much longer? Surely by your logic the fact he won the 2 big cups means he should not be sacked too hastily - hes at best a couple of defeats away despite results away and above expectations at the Fakes - last season...

You think JR should have got more time, but Boards make the decisions and often more informed ones than we can deduce as we don't often if ever get all the facts.

Edited by Sweeper07

Just now, Sweeper07 said:

Will he be for much longer? Surely by your logic the fact he won the 2 big cups means he should not be sacked too hastily - hes at best a couple of defeats away despite results away and above expectations at the Fakes...

You think JR should have got more time, but Boards make the decisions and often more informed ones than we can deduce as we don't often if ever get all the facts.

You’re making an arse of yourself here pal.

St. Johnstone are looking like they might get relegated. If they do, Davidson will probably lose his job yes. 
When Ross lost his job Hibs were exactly where they are most seasons at best.

Give it up.

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

You’re making an arse of yourself here pal.

St. Johnstone are looking like they might get relegated. If they do, Davidson will probably lose his job yes. 
When Ross lost his job Hibs were exactly where they are most seasons at best.

Give it up.

Let's agree to differ. On their budget they should be averaging 4th not mid table. They had fallen to 7th.

It was also pretty interesting he got sacked the week running up to that final don't you think

Edited by Sweeper07

3 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Goodwin keen on the Aberdeen job according to Scott Burns.

That is bad news.

Sometimes it really feels shite being a St. Mirren fan. 
It’s f**king annoying that teams like Aberdeen are regarded as a step up when in reality there’s no more chance of success than there is with us, despite greater resource.

Its not like the old days when Aberdeen actually won things. 

1 minute ago, JJ McG said:

Interesting couple of days ahead.

This could go two ways. Jim talks it up in the press, may even get his agent to talk to both parties, then he gets a contract improvement with Saints and decides to stay.

Remember when Hibs courted him as a player?

Think this situation is different though. Failure to take the Aberdeen job if offered may hinder his management career.

I think it’s too big to turn down. Obviously I’d prefer him to stay with us, but we need to be realistic.

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That is bad news.

Sometimes it really feels shite being a St. Mirren fan. 
It’s f**king annoying that teams like Aberdeen are regarded as a step up when in reality there’s no more chance of success than there is with us, despite greater resource.

Its not like the old days when Aberdeen actually won things. 

I’m not convinced he would have full control of transfers up there so wouldn’t suit Goodwin.

2 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

This could go two ways. Jim talks it up in the press, may even get his agent to talk to both parties, then he gets a contract improvement with Saints and decides to stay.

Think this situation is different though. Failure to take the Aberdeen job if offered may hinder his management career.

I think it’s too big to turn down. Obviously I’d prefer him to stay with us, but we need to be realistic.

You don’t get full control at Aberdeen over transfers etc so that won’t suit Goodwin, he may well get an improved contact from ourselves but it’s going to be an interesting few days.

5 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

If we lose to Livi and Dee the knickerwtters will be calling for his head anyway.

Ok hopefully that is very unlikely, but going up to Aberdeen right now is not a great option.

Get Shaunessey an extended deal cause that's one of their glaring needs