The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

5 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

This could go two ways. Jim talks it up in the press, may even get his agent to talk to both parties, then he gets a contract improvement with Saints and decides to stay.

Remember when Hibs courted him as a player?

Think this situation is different though. Failure to take the Aberdeen job if offered may hinder his management career.

I think it’s too big to turn down. Obviously I’d prefer him to stay with us, but we need to be realistic.

So do you think we should be calling Jack Ross? And who makes the call now that Tony is away?

4 minutes ago, magnus said:

So do you think we should be calling Jack Ross? And who makes the call now that Tony is away?

Fitzpatrick has not left yet.

Jack Ross would likely cost more than Jim Goodwin in wages as he will be used to higher wages at Dunderland and Hibs.

Edited by SuperSaints1877

4 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Fitzpatrick has not left yet.

Jack Ross would likely cost more than Jim Goodwin in wages as he will be used to higher wages at Dunderland and Hibs.

True. Tony away in March from memory? Ross is on no wage just now and with a couple of likely lucrative pay offs under his belt he might be less cash driven.

Just wonder if a second shot ever works.

Tommy Wright till the end of the season if Jim jumps - hope he doesn't.

Edited by magnus

5 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Aberdeen will be looking at a number of options.

What about Graham Alexander or  Neilson.

It's the wrong gig right now. End of the season a different kettle of fish though 

Problem with that is how it hits our recruitment. Apart from the cash prize, the best thing about finishing top 6 or 7 is that we can recruit early and get extended contracts worked out.

59 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

And yet they are below us in the league. 

Sevco were 3 divisions lower with the second highest budget in Scotland in 2012.
They have only won one major trophy since the auld club died. 😂

A vastly bigger budget should in theory allow teams to achieve greater success, but as we can see it doesn’t always work that way.

Both Aberdeen and Rangers are massively underachieving. Long may that continue. Aberdeen have won 1 trophy in 20 years yet are arguably the third largest in Scotland.

It happens in England too. That’s what makes the success of Leicester and St Johnstone all the more remarkable.

8 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Goodwin keen on the Aberdeen job according to Scott Burns.

Not surprising, but still depressing to read. We are on the best run I can remember and the club/players are buzzing.

My worry is the speculation about Goodie’s future will unsettle the squad, even if nothing comes of it all. He’s obviously highly thought of and an excellent man manager.

If you think the Saints fans are fickle, you should experience the Dons fans. Lived up there for 5 years and still in touch with  quite a few of them. They have very high expectations and some still live off the distant achievements of the Fergie phenomenon. Not quite Old Firm arrogance, but definitely see themselves as failing if they don’t finish 3rd. Tough gig for whoever takes on the job. 

It’s just bad timing that Glass has been canned when we are on this run, but unfortunately if we have a manager or players that do the business it’s impossible to hang on to them. 

Fingers crossed Jim doesn’t head up there because after a steep learning curve, he’s developing into a very good young manager (and he’s a Saints legend).

9 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Goodwin keen on the Aberdeen job according to Scott Burns.

Who is Scott Burns and how woud he know if JG was interested or not so quickly after Glass got punted?

Anyways, when JG leaves St Mirren,  if it's not to Celtic, I reckon it'll be a stepping stone to the Celtic job.

If he is interested, hopefully he thinks about JR finding the grass is not greener & decides "f### that"

9 hours ago, magnus said:

Problem with that is how it hits our recruitment. Apart from the cash prize, the best thing about finishing top 6 or 7 is that we can recruit early and get extended contracts worked out.

We're already safe barring absolute colapse by us and loads of points for those below us. So we can plan for next season already. Only issue is what place we finish. 

No reason we don't extend JJ option, if its there etc.

We know already much of what we will need i.e. Erwin,  out etc... recruitment planning will continue to be carried out..and that's not only down to JG

Edited by Sweeper07

6 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

We're already safe barring absolute colapse by us and loads of points for those below us. So we can plan for next season already. Only issue is what place we finish. 

No reason we don't extend JJ option, if its there etc.

We know already much of what we will need i.e. Erwin,  out etc... recruitment planning will continue to be carried out..and that's not only down to JG

Goodwin is the main reason Jones signed and he will be the main reason if he decides to stay so let’s hope Goodwin is still here.

59 minutes ago, Kombibuddie said:

Who is Scott Burns and how woud he know if JG was interested or not so quickly after Glass got punted?

Anyways, when JG leaves St Mirren,  if it's not to Celtic, I reckon it'll be a stepping stone to the Celtic job.

If he is interested, hopefully he thinks about JR finding the grass is not greener & decides "f### that"

It would be a bit of a gamble for him. Expectations are unreasonably high there, even McInnes was sacked despite keeping them in the top 4 for most of a decade. However he would have a greater chance of winning things with them and raising his profile given the increased budget.

Hope he stays, but if not I'd be OK with Ross as his replacement. Hopefully he'll have learnt from his experiences at Sunderland and Hibs and not flirt with anyone who shows any interest in him. It would be like taking back your cheating ex after they've been dumped and hope they've learnt their lesson though.

28 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Goodwin is the main reason Jones signed and he will be the main reason if he decides to stay so let’s hope Goodwin is still here.

That would be my worry if JG goes north, JJ would likely follow. He's one of the type of players they need.

Wrong job at the wrong time I think but if he went now he gets time to assess who to offload and plan for summer recruitment. 

They need a clear out 

32 minutes ago, Hendo said:

It would be a bit of a gamble for him. Expectations are unreasonably high there, even McInnes was sacked despite keeping them in the top 4 for most of a decade. However he would have a greater chance of winning things with them and raising his profile given the increased budget.

Hope he stays, but if not I'd be OK with Ross as his replacement. Hopefully he'll have learnt from his experiences at Sunderland and Hibs and not flirt with anyone who shows any interest in him. It would be like taking back your cheating ex after they've been dumped and hope they've learnt their lesson though.

Will it feel any different if Jim makes it public that he wants to (flirt) speak to them? He is under contract to us. How do you persuade players to commit to us if the manager's head is turned.

40 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

See Craig Samson has just started to work for the Dons.

Safe money on a reunion with JR. 

No pay off needed and a bit more experience at bigger clubs. No brainer.

JG a fall back candidate

Not sure. I think Samson was an emergency goal keeper only measure prior to Glass getting the sack. 

I don't think JG will be poached by Aberdeen. He's under contract so would cost the cheap bassas money. There are quite a few experienced guys out of work. If, and it's a big IF, he was approached, I'm afraid this would be the best time to take the job as, given he would only have free agents to look to, any failure would laid at Glass' door.