The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

13 hours ago, magnus said:

True. Tony away in March from memory? Ross is on no wage just now and with a couple of likely lucrative pay offs under his belt he might be less cash driven.

Just wonder if a second shot ever works.

Tommy Wright till the end of the season if Jim jumps - hope he doesn't.

in recent years managers tended to continue on the payroll with a monthly salary rather than get a lump-sum to leave early.  

26 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

in recent years managers tended to continue on the payroll with a monthly salary rather than get a lump-sum to leave early.  

If you're talking about so called gardening leave, I don't think that would have been the case, re Sunderland, as it would have meant he'd have lost that lucrative salary by joining Hibs.

3 hours ago, magnus said:

Will it feel any different if Jim makes it public that he wants to (flirt) speak to them? He is under contract to us. How do you persuade players to commit to us if the manager's head is turned.

I think we need to be realistic though - only a few weeks ago some of our more moronic fan base were calling for him to be sacked. Jim will know that football management is very fickle, if he wants to make a career out of it there may be gambles he needs to take. Really hope he stays but wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

21 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think we need to be realistic though - only a few weeks ago some of our more moronic fan base were calling for him to be sacked. Jim will know that football management is very fickle, if he wants to make a career out of it there may be gambles he needs to take. Really hope he stays but wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

3 minutes ago, magnus said:

Totally agree. Potentially a real kick in the balls though. Jim has been given a lot of autonomy. We could lose the likess of Allan McManus who is excellent and all connection with the Irish player market which has given us some great players. If I was on the Board I would be sitting Jim down and giving the guy what he wants.

Edited by magnus

Jim allegedly advised McGrath not to go to Aberdeen and for similar reasons he shouldn't go. Aberdeen won't ever win the League, do well in Europe, and have a similar chance as any other premiership team to win a cup. Top six is their aim. If Jim wants success as well as money then England should be his target. He has a better chance of that by getting St Mirren into Europe or winning a cup than doing it with Aberdeen who have wasted a fortune this season.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Jim allegedly advised McGrath not to go to Aberdeen and for similar reasons he shouldn't go. Aberdeen won't ever win the League, do well in Europe, and have a similar chance as any other premiership team to win a cup. Top six is their aim. If Jim wants success as well as money then England should be his target. He has a better chance of that by getting St Mirren into Europe or winning a cup than doing it with Aberdeen who have wasted a fortune this season.

I hate to admit it but I think the Aberdeen job would be a good fit for him. If he is staying in Scotland the only step up from us is the Edinburgh teams and Aberdeen. Look at the way Ross was treated at Hibs after getting to 2 cup finals and finishing 3rd, I don't think he'd want to go there any time soon. Hearts job probably wont be available for a while so the only other option is Aberdeen.

I think the Aberdeen board are reasonable (even if the fans aren't) and will give a manager time and money. Aberdeen are far better than any other option in Scotland out with the OF IMO. 

I hope and think they will go for JR though. (Although I don't know if I am just trying to convince myself that or if its what I really think)

2 hours ago, magnus said:

Totally agree. Potentially a real kick in the balls though. Jim has been given a lot of autonomy. We could lose the likess of Allan McManus who is excellent and all connection with the Irish player market which has given us some great players. If I was on the Board I would be sitting Jim down and giving the guy what he wants.

Lee Erwin's wages on top of his own. :rolleyes:

I hate to admit it but I think the Aberdeen job would be a good fit for him. If he is staying in Scotland the only step up from us is the Edinburgh teams and Aberdeen. Look at the way Ross was treated at Hibs after getting to 2 cup finals and finishing 3rd, I don't think he'd want to go there any time soon. Hearts job probably wont be available for a while so the only other option is Aberdeen.
I think the Aberdeen board are reasonable (even if the fans aren't) and will give a manager time and money. Aberdeen are far better than any other option in Scotland out with the OF IMO. 
I hope and think they will go for JR though. (Although I don't know if I am just trying to convince myself that or if its what I really think)
I can get all that. I just think it's a dead end job albeit with an increased salary. The Board sacked their last manager after finishing 3rd for years on end. And I struggle to think of any Aberdeen manager move on to greater things over the last 25 years. If Jim wants, as he has said, to manage in the English premier league then England should be his next step. He cannot overachieve with Aberdeen as 3rd is their usual norm and anything else is failure.

14 minutes ago, elvis said:

A guy over 0n p/b Don's next manager thread saying in the know guys in Aberdeen saying Goodwin is there next manager oh well next.

Well if you believe it you can still get him at 6/1 at the bookies so stick you’re life savings on it shagger.

Three seasons under JG & LS, three Scottish Cup Quarter Finals in a row :clappingTo put that run into context, in the six years before he arrived we made the one national cup quarter final out of twelve.

On the Aberdeen link, it's obviously up to Jim and if he does get offered the job you can hardly begrudge him taking it and the big pay rise that will come with it. Many Saints fans have called for his head on here and other platforms at various points in his two and a half season in charge, and we are a bad run away from that happening again. It's the most precarious of jobs and maximising your earning while your stock is high has to be on his mind. He could turn this down, get sacked by us in October after a bad end to this/start to next season, and never get a similar sized opportunity again. 

If i was him i would look at McInnes and turn it down though. He went up there and was a success. Got them as high second and never finished outside the top four, won a cup and consistently got them into the business end of tournaments and got some decent results in Europe. He couldn't have done any more, and Jim won't do any more. Derek still got chased out the door, and then he had to go into The Scottish Championship to get back into football.  It's an absolute poison chalice up there and you're dealing with a deluded fan base that is stuck in the 80's, you could be a relative success and they'll still hate you and want you sacked. 

If i was Jim I'd hold out for a shot in England, which will surely come in the summer if he gets us top six. 

I'm both surprised and delighted with the current form of the Buddies.

My big worry is the impact the rumour mongering has on the team performances. Let's hope it has no influence. It would be great if JG was to come out and say it's not on the cards. Even if his mind changes when/if anyone comes a calling.

This is a fantastic position we find ourselves in due to team effort.

image.thumb.png.31b2694eebf83dc2a887bb7523b821a7.png