The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

Just to put a different outlook on the rumours/speculation concerning Jim and Aberdeen.

As he is under contract with us then Aberdeen would need permission from us to approach him. As we are very much in the up at the moment I would like to think the the board wouldn't give them that permission, well, that's if they are serious about pushing the club forward imo. 

The reason I have posted this is that years ago Carlisle found themselves in a situation where after years of struggle and even relegation into non league they had a manager by the name of Paul Simpson who on relegation assembled a squad which got back up then won lg2, able to attract the likes of Michael Bridges to name prob the best one. Anyway Preston enquired and the board negotiated compensation before permission granted so he was gone regardless, since then their form speaks for itself over the years afterwards.

I'm sure eventually Jim will go but would think a bigger gig that Aberdeen surely.

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

If i was him i would look at McInnes and turn it down though. He went up there and was a success. Got them as high second and never finished outside the top four, won a cup and consistently got them into the business end of tournaments and got some decent results in Europe. He couldn't have done any more, and Jim won't do any more. Derek still got chased out the door, and then he had to go into The Scottish Championship to get back into football.  It's an absolute poison chalice up there and you're dealing with a deluded fan base that is stuck in the 80's, you could be a relative success and they'll still hate you and want you sacked. 

He got offered the Sunderland and Rangers jobs while he was at Aberdeen. Both bigger jobs and he turned them down. It was a rare case of a manager showing loyalty and in the end it came back to bite him.

He just stuck around too long and it got stale. But the point is, the opportunities to progress were there, he just didn't take them. Jim will have the chance to get a big job from there if he does well.

27 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

He got offered the Sunderland and Rangers jobs while he was at Aberdeen. Both bigger jobs and he turned them down. It was a rare case of a manager showing loyalty and in the end it came back to bite him.

He just stuck around too long and it got stale. But the point is, the opportunities to progress were there, he just didn't take them. Jim will have the chance to get a big job from there if he does well.

Perhaps it was so much loyalty or whether he thought he would get found out in those bigger jobs. 

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

I think we need to be realistic though - only a few weeks ago some of our more moronic fan base were calling for him to be sacked. Jim will know that football management is very fickle, if he wants to make a career out of it there may be gambles he needs to take. Really hope he stays but wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

Only a few weeks ago Goodwin was still insisting on playing three at the back.

Several fans pointed out that this formation clearly wasn't working and that we were pretty shite. Many of us were of the opinion that this could lead potentially to him being sacked if he persisted with this formation.

He eventually changed his mind and look where we are. Crisis averted.:)

51 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Jim will have the chance to get a big job from there if he does well.

Why is he not capable enough to get a big job while with us, if we finish the season well.   Alex Neil moved from Hamilton.

Edited by pod

On 2/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, Sweeper07 said:

I agree on Sunderland.  They lost out on the last game of the season. Then struggled after he left, but it wasn't working at Hibs despite a good squad and getting to sign a good number of players. Magennis fitness won't have helped but they underperformed on the park... so the buck stops with JR and his coaching staff and they paid the price.

Jury's out on whether he will ever return to us. Personally I think progress is more likely going forwards than backwards - but i do truly value where JR rescued us from...

JG contract extension along with Greive and Shaunessey asap....

agree entirely with complete last sentence re contract extensions, however have to disagree (equally) entirely re Hibs, he got them to a semi and they were in a reasonable position when boot came down.............all quite naturally in my ever so humble opinion. :)

3 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Just to put a different outlook on the rumours/speculation concerning Jim and Aberdeen.

As he is under contract with us then Aberdeen would need permission from us to approach him. As we are very much in the up at the moment I would like to think the the board wouldn't give them that permission, well, that's if they are serious about pushing the club forward imo. 

I believe they have asked for permission to talk to JG , pretty sure we will ok it. Doesn't mean he'll take the job !

1 minute ago, billyg said:

I believe they have asked for permission to talk to JG , pretty sure we will ok it. Doesn't mean he'll take the job !

If push comes to shove we will ok the talks but you are correct. Doesn’t mean he would take it but adding a couple of hundred thousands to your income on say a 3 year contract has it’s appeal as I’m sure you would agree.

35 minutes ago, jaybee said:

agree entirely with complete last sentence re contract extensions, however have to disagree (equally) entirely re Hibs, he got them to a semi and they were in a reasonable position when boot came down.............all quite naturally in my ever so humble opinion. :)

So they were 7th when they sacked him and they were on a poor run . I also wondered if there was more to it than this but that's another story.

They had not been playing like the team that finished 3rd hence 7th place, and were on the wrong slope. Board makes the decisions - rightly or wrongly, they have power and influence and all the info to hand, the others are simply pawns..

10 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

So they were 7th when they sacked him and they were on a poor run . I also wondered if there was more to it than this but that's another story.

They had not been playing like the team that finished 3rd hence 7th place, and were on the wrong slope. Board makes the decisions - rightly or wrongly, they have power and influence and all the info to hand, the others are simply pawns..

You just ramble utter shite constantly.

10 hours ago, JJ McG said:

You just ramble utter shite constantly.

You are a total twat so thats life... what I said was FACT... and am I not allowed to wonder? There are always rumours - they might just be that, but sometimes there is no smoke without fire...

Direct quote

defeat at the Tony Macaroni Arena was Hibs' seventh loss in their last nine league games, and leaves them seventh in the Scottish Premiership table...

St. Mirren is no different to the other mid-table teams in the Premiership. Generally we pick our managers from clubs smaller than us and, if they are successful, we wave them goodbye and good luck when they move on to clubs bigger than us. Our latest example of that was JR moving to Sunderland.

All successful managers face the same question and JG will be no different. He'll be wondering 'Should I go now or wait for a better offer from down south?' His quandary is wondering whether his stock will be as high come the summer. If he waits till then, his chance might be gone.

Given that situation, what would any of us do? Would we really turn down the chance to double our wages, or more, knowing that the opportunity might never come again? Even if we fail with the new team, we will probably earn enough to make ourselves and our family comfortably off for a long time.

If JG gets the chance to go north and takes it, we should understand his situation, thank him for the good times he's given us, and wish him (not too) well in the Granite City. Then we start looking around the lower leagues again for the next JG. Sadly, that is football reality in 2022.

41 minutes ago, pondsman said:

St. Mirren is no different to the other mid-table teams in the Premiership. Generally we pick our managers from clubs smaller than us and, if they are successful, we wave them goodbye and good luck when they move on to clubs bigger than us. Our latest example of that was JR moving to Sunderland.

All successful managers face the same question and JG will be no different. He'll be wondering 'Should I go now or wait for a better offer from down south?' His quandary is wondering whether his stock will be as high come the summer. If he waits till then, his chance might be gone.

Given that situation, what would any of us do? Would we really turn down the chance to double our wages, or more, knowing that the opportunity might never come again? Even if we fail with the new team, we will probably earn enough to make ourselves and our family comfortably off for a long time.

If JG gets the chance to go north and takes it, we should understand his situation, thank him for the good times he's given us, and wish him (not too) well in the Granite City. Then we start looking around the lower leagues again for the next JG. Sadly, that is football reality in 2022.

We won’t be looking in the lower leagues for a manager, there will be a lot of decent managers interested in the st mirren job should Goodwin go.

2 hours ago, pondsman said:

I doubt JG would make enough to retire if he failed at the sheep. And we might back ourselves to keep getting better then we could get a gig down south for real money. You're assuming JG is worried we'll go backwards. He might trust his ability to keep moving up rather than down.