The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

I understand money talks , I just wish for once that we could keep building the momentum we have at present and see our the season. We can do something special this year and Jim is supposed to be St Mirren through and through. I know he’s a Celtic fan initially but his character and his status as cup winning captain and someone who’d run thro a brick wall makes me hope that he might stay and finish the job he has here. Can we offer him a better deal? 

is it wrong that whilst I know it doesn’t happen a lot that we might be able to compete at the right end and maybe get to Hampden ? Is it wrong to think saints could become a very stable middle table to top half side for a while?

Seems to be picking up momentum in the news stories according to the Daily Record.  

The papers love this feeding frenzy around a manager vacancy and gives them the opportunity to engage at least 2 sets of fans compared to the usual daily irrelevance of their newspapers. I’m keeping an open mind and not taking anything as gospel for now. 

I still struggle to see how Goodwin would be a standout 1st choice for Aberdeen. I do remember Willie Miller raving about how we played against them a couple of times up at Pittodrie. Pretty sure we lost 1 and drew 1 of those games. Funny old game if that’s what has stuck in their mind as a couple of games of high pressing, possession football (not exactly the norm over the extended course of Goodwin’s reign) with us ultimately not getting a result. 

I can imagine that they want to talk to Goodwin + others. I reckon that has led to this standoff to force Aberdeen to agree the money is available rather than us bend over. If Goodwin is showing interest then that’s only to be expected to play to his own strengths in this position. Whether he’s genuinely interested in moving now or not, he’d be daft not to play his cards to try and get a better deal out of this. 

4 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

I hope we can match whatever Aberdeen are going to offer him financially. 

In terms of playing budget he'd have at his disposal thats obviously impossible, but I'd like to think we could push the boat out and at least match the personal terms. 

Match the personal terms Aberdeen can offer him? You for real? 😅

They will triple his salary.

Irrespective of the final outcome of this fiasco, we can only hope this does not interrupt the current momentum of the team.

It is significant also that 3 of the front runners for the Aberdeen job have strong St Mirren connections.

We must be doing something right - other than holding on to our managers!

5 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

I hope we can match whatever Aberdeen are going to offer him financially. 

In terms of playing budget he'd have at his disposal thats obviously impossible, but I'd like to think we could push the boat out and at least match the personal terms. 

There’s absolutely no chance we can match what they will pay a manager. 

We should think smart on what bonuses we can offer.  If each league position is worth £80k from memory, why don’t we offer £8-10k for 6th place and the same again for every place above. That gives a realistic, achievable incentive of £24-30k to go after between now and the end of season. Chuck in another £10k for delivering European football. 

That would test his ambition.

If he could do achieve that then he would be the best performing Saints manager since the early 80’s. 

Incidentally, if (and I don’t expect it to happen) we win against Livi and Dundee in the next 2 games - Goodwin would have us going into the Hearts home game with an opportunity close the gap to 3rd to 5 points at most. Possibly less if Hearts don’t beat St.Johnstone at the weekend.

St. Mirren have backed him. He now has the opportunity to do something really special - and to rectify the disappointment of the 2 lost semi finals and missed top 6 last year. Question is will he back himself to do that. 

7 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

I read somewhere a while ago that Glass was on 500k (don't know if its true or not)

Goodwin is on around 350-400k so not a million miles off.

More like 400k over the length of the three and a half year deal he signed.

If he was on 400k a year we'd be looking at the ballpark of £1m in compensation from Aberdeen. 

£250k basically gives away what he's on with us. £250k over the next two and a bit years puts him squarely in the ballpark of being paid £2k a week as manager. He'll jump onto £6k per week at Aberdeen, several times what he ever made as a player, without even negotiating hard.

4 minutes ago, Maboza said:

There’s absolutely no chance we can match what they will pay a manager. 

We should think smart on what bonuses we can offer.  If each league position is worth £80k from memory, why don’t we offer £8-10k for 6th place and the same again for every place above. That gives a realistic, achievable incentive of £24-30k to go after between now and the end of season. Chuck in another £10k for delivering European football. 

That would test his ambition.

If he could do achieve that then he would be the best performing Saints manager since the early 80’s. 

Incidentally, if (and I don’t expect it to happen) we win against Livi and Dundee in the next 2 games - Goodwin would have us going into the Hearts home game with an opportunity close the gap to 3rd to 5 points at most. Possibly less if Hearts don’t beat St.Johnstone at the weekend.

St. Mirren have backed him. He now has the opportunity to do something really special - and to rectify the disappointment of the 2 lost semi finals and missed top 6 last year. Question is will he back himself to do that. 

Nope he will be off like a shot.and our season will go down the pan starting on Saturday.

It’s a funny old game fitba/fitba management.

In almost every other job that you or I might do, if you were going for another interview, your employer and your staff wouldn’t know about it until after you’d accepted the other job. That’s generally because you know you’d be tainted in the eyes of your employer if you didn’t get the other job and had to come back with your tail between your legs. 
For me if JG goes for the job, I hope for his sake he gets it because I reckon at least 50% of the support will have it in for him if he doesn’t. 
Fingers crossed he just comes out and says he’s not interested but I cannae see it. 

He will be off if offered the job
That's what annoys me. We are doing well.

Aberdeen are out the Scottish cup, we are not.

They have been f**king dire and their defence and their keeper are f**king terrible.

Though having like the 3rd highest budget in the league and looking to come at least 3rd and win cups, they are below us.

He would be best to wait. Get us to our highest finish in the premiership and become more of a club legend.

If you don't build an entertaining team there, they will be at you. If you don't progress in the cups, they will be at you. If you don't finish 3rd, they will be at you.

How long has McInnes been without a job? They pay that much that you can sit that long without a job when sacked in a year's time for not delivering all that for them.

Or is it best to let him go and destroy them from the inside as with a bigger and better budget, do you think he will try that 3 at the back pish for them to send them down ? [emoji1787]

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

That's what annoys me. We are doing well.

Aberdeen are out the Scottish cup, we are not.

They have been f**king dire and their defence and their keeper are f**king terrible.

Though having like the 3rd highest budget in the league and looking to come at least 3rd and win cups, they are below us.

He would be best to wait. Get us to our highest finish in the premiership and become more of a club legend.

If you don't build an entertaining team there, they will be at you. If you don't progress in the cups, they will be at you. If you don't finish 3rd, they will be at you.

How long has McInnes been without a job? They pay that much that you can sit that long without a job when sacked in a year's time for not delivering all that for them.

Or is it best to let him go and destroy them from the inside as with a bigger and better budget, do you think he will try that 3 at the back pish for them to send them down ? emoji1787.png

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Whoever takes on the Aberdeen job has a potential avoid relegation job on their hands this season. and build for next season if that's avoided (never went well for killie).
It's never an overnight job to turn a clubs fortunes.

Money does speak, though I'd like to think what you have referenced is enough for Jim to hold out for better success with us this season, raising his stock at the end of the season. A strong finish may even make him consider staying a little longer.

Jack Ross left early, though as the same with Jim, there was an opportunity to make life changing money. The difference from my opinion, is the size of a club Sunderland are, tripling his wages and with the potential to take the club to the English Championship. It really was too good an offer to turn down, considering they were an EPL team only 2-3 years previously.

Our clubs ambitions match Jims and at times, we may not be able to stretch further in our budget, I think he has been given great resources to build the squad he has ended up with this season.

9 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I read somewhere a while ago that Glass was on 500k (don't know if its true or not)

Goodwin is on around 350-400k so not a million miles off.

McInnes was certainly on that type of salary, though I'm sure (only my thoughts) that he would have been easier to negotiate a lesser contract, due to it being his first proper managerial position.

As mentioned elsewhere, the figures you have quoted are more that of his earnings throughout the length of his contract rather than per season.