The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

It is beginning to look like JG is on his way out.
Who should replace him?
Would JR be reluctant to return and would he be welcome by the majority of Saints fans?
Jack Ross would be the ideal choice to replace him but his previous departure left a bad taste for many that he might need to win over quite a few.

I wonder what the new signings take on managers who f**k off just weeks after selling their vision for the club to players to get them to sign not just JG but happens all the time.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Who should replace him?

Would JR be reluctant to return and would he be welcome by the majority of Saints fans?

I don't understand why any Saints fans wouldn't want him back (although I know there will be a few that wont).

I think JR would be a great appointment and I really hope we can get him. He hasn't done badly in the two jobs he's had since he left and he will have learned a lot in that time. He was still a rookie when we had him and look how well he done. 

IF Goody goes we’d have to be realistic about the managerial quality that’s out there and within our budget .

Should the club decide to approach JR and he accepted, I wouldn’t be anti that. I certainly don’t subscribe to the “snake” brigade. The man made a decision which he thought would benefit him, his family and his career and it didn’t work out as he would have hoped so if he is appointed, I wish him well. 

Players leave and sometimes return , why not a manager ? 

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

IF Goody goes we’d have to be realistic about the managerial quality that’s out there and within our budget .

Should the club decide to approach JR and he accepted, I wouldn’t be anti that. I certainly don’t subscribe to the “snake” brigade. The man made a decision which he thought would benefit him, his family and his career and it didn’t work out as he would have hoped so if he is appointed, I wish him well. 

I can’t see Jack wanting the job 

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Jack Ross would be the ideal choice to replace him but his previous departure left a bad taste for many that he might need to win over quite a few.

I wonder what the new signings take on managers who f**k off just weeks after selling their vision for the club to players to get them to sign not just JG but happens all the time.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

How could he have left without it leaving a bad taste?

Fans complained last time that he left at the end of the season and we didn't have time to build a new team over the summer. Those exact same fans will now complain that Goodwin is leaving mid-way through a season. So if end of the season isn't a good time to leave and mid-way through a season is bad timing then when is good timing?

1 minute ago, LargsBud said:

I don't understand why any Saints fans wouldn't want him back (although I know there will be a few that wont).

I think JR would be a great appointment and I really hope we can get him. He hasn't done badly in the two jobs he's had since he left and he will have learned a lot in that time. He was still a rookie when we had him and look how well he done. 

I think JR is probably the best option currently available to us.

On the other hand - a number of questions have to be asked.

• Does JR want to return to St Mirren?
  • If he does, how long would he stay for?
  • Would his pride allow him to return?
  • Can we afford him?
  • Would most of the fans welcome him back?

2 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

• Can we afford him?

You missed one... Is there a vacancy to fill 

1 minute ago, northstbuddie said:

• Does JR want to return to St Mirren?                     * we’ll only know that IF the need to ask arises
  • If he does, how long would he stay for?    * How long will any manager stay ? I’d say more get sacked than leave 
  • Would his pride allow him to return?      * I’d think His desire to get back into the game would salve his pride 
  • Can we afford him?      * $64000 question.  What’s he earning currently ? 
  • Would most of the fans welcome him back?       * I’d say most would , there will always be those who aren’t happy regardless of who takes the reins.

2 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Given that there are lots of sources saying either he was interested to talk  or has spoken with them,   I’d say the board need to be at least drawing up a shortlist of potential candidates if he does go. 

6 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

• Can we afford him?

I guess it would dent his pride a bit to come back but I think he would be smart about it and look at a manager he respects a lot in Derek McInness. He had to go down a division just to get back in the game. Jack would be joining a top 6 premier league club.

We are in a very different position to when he left us so it wouldn't be completely going backwards. 

5 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Point taken - I would certainly prefer JG to stay with us until at least the end of this season particularly in view of his recent signings.

However, it is is reasonable to surmise at this stage that this looks unlikely.

On the subject of Jack Ross returning as Manager if Jim Goodwin was to leave..  I'd say this..  Jack really got on my tits the way kept raiding the shelf's at our club like he was a contestant on Supermarket Sweep filling his trolley. 

Would I want him back.... Yes why not...  being ruthless is a good trait for a football manager,  There was no one more ruthless than Sir Alex Ferguson just ask Jim Leighton 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

It wasn't the departure itself, it was the manner in which he did it. The man then proceeded to raid the 'family jewels' as it were. I wouldn't let him near the place.

If you were an Aberdeen fan, would you prefer Goodie or Jack Ross? The Dons fans I’ve spoken to would prefer Jim, but they also like to wind me up about Saints.  Will the reported £250k release clause for Goodie be a significant factor? I hope so, but doubt it. 
The general consensus seems to be that Jim is going to Aberdeen. The thought of this happening is a real sore one for us all, especially with us starting to look very tasty and settled, looking up the league rather than worrying about teams below us getting beat every week (although I still do that anyway). 

We don’t know for sure if he will be away so can cling on to the fact that he’s not away..,yet. He won’t be in a rush to leave what he’s built here, the team and relationship with the fans. Still think the money and his ‘ambition’ will swing it if he’s offered it unfortunately. Could  also see him doing exactly what Jack Ross did and take some of our players next season, especially Alnwick. 

If he does go, I would be happy with a Jack Ross return. It wasn’t nice watching him come back to take our staff and players but he is a ruthless operator, so we would get that back on our corner. He did a brilliant job for St Mirren before earning his big moves to Sunderland and Hibs. He can only have developed as a manager too and knows our club already. I’m sure if he was successful at Paisley again, most doubters would come back onside with him pretty quickly.
Problem is, I don’t have a clue if he’d fancy it or not. He’d inherit a great squad in a good position for the rest of the season but would he see it is as a step backwards? Could we afford him, possibly with Goodie’s release money?
He could still end up being the Aberdeen manager after all of this torture…

Hopefully we know where we are before the Livvy game, in which a win would be massive for us. 

3 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

Who should replace him?

3 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

What have I missed  :blink: 

That’s what I was wondering as well.  

All I see is paper noise so far without even the confirmation that Aberdeen have agreed to pay the release clause which would be the pre-requisite for us granting permission to speak. Even then - nothing to suggest JG is first choice. 

Seems to be more than a few people thinking this is a done deal without anything to show for it yet. 

4 minutes ago, Maboza said:

That’s what I was wondering as well.  

All I see is paper noise so far without even the confirmation that Aberdeen have agreed to pay the release clause which would be the pre-requisite for us granting permission to speak. Even then - nothing to suggest JG is first choice. 

Seems to be more than a few people thinking this is a done deal without anything to show for it yet. 

Spotted Goodwin in TJ Maxx trying on a sub zero  polar expedition parka  - it's happening!

Edited by magnus