The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

Very strange comments going around social media about if jack comes they want reassurances that he won’t just leave.

he has every right to decide if he wants to move to a bigger club just like we have the right to punt him if he does a crap job.

I like everyone else got annoyed when he was signing our players but that’s him doing his job what he’s paid to do I wouldn’t want him coming here knowing he could get a player in from his ex club that would improve us but deciding it’s not fair on them il just leave him.

it’s pathetic from some fans imo.

if Jim leaves and jack is the best option out there that wants the job it’s a no brainer get him in.

11 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Very strange comments going around social media about if jack comes they want reassurances that he won’t just leave.

he has every right to decide if he wants to move to a bigger club just like we have the right to punt him if he does a crap job.

I like everyone else got annoyed when he was signing our players but that’s him doing his job what he’s paid to do I wouldn’t want him coming here knowing he could get a player in from his ex club that would improve us but deciding it’s not fair on them il just leave him.

it’s pathetic from some fans imo.

if Jim leaves and jack is the best option out there that wants the job it’s a no brainer get him in.

Also, if he leaves it will mean he has been successful and done a good job. Thats the goal here, to appoint a manager who will be successful and do a good job.

90%+ of managers we hire we end up sacking, so lets not pretend that a manager leaving for a bigger club is a bad thing.

I suspect I’m like many other contributors, in as much I would really prefer Jim Goodwin to stay, then move at a future date (which he will), however, I think there is a lot of “primacy and recency” being displayed here.  Currently we are sitting 6th (woo hoo), and actually capable of hitting the top 4 (sorry for sounding a bit Tony Fitzpatrick.)  However, we did have a fairly shocking run mid-season where we couldn’t win, or even score.  But what is impressive, is that JG wanted to play a 3-5-2, and persevered with that until Christmas.  Post the break, Jim analysed what had happened, and changed his tactics, went to a flat back 4 and we went on a phenomenal run, and now sit 6th.

The board stuck with him – and were rewarded.  JG wouldn’t necessarily have got that time elsewhere.  He also had a shocking run last season too.

If Jim is offered the Aberdeen Job, and decides to take it, we are a much better proposition to a potential new manager than we have been for a long time.  I just hope, if Jim leaves, the board don’t f**k it up and appoint an Alex Rae clone.

It's been widely reported that Aberdeen are intending to interview a shortlist of at least four potential candidates. This means there will be at least three, probably experienced, others who will cost nothing to get them in place. I don't understand why so many have taken the paper talk as gospel. I for one intend to wait and see and don't really expect JG to be heading north unless it's to take a team to play against the Dons etc.

41 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

It's been widely reported that Aberdeen are intending to interview a shortlist of at least four potential candidates. This means there will be at least three, probably experienced, others who will cost nothing to get them in place. I don't understand why so many have taken the paper talk as gospel. I for one intend to wait and see and don't really expect JG to be heading north unless it's to take a team to play against the Dons etc.

I wouldn’t conclude that because they are out of work that Aberdeen might have to pay out to terminate some contractual agreements they might have with their previous employer. The case of the guy Howe and Celtic comes to mind.

I might be in the minority here but if Goody goes I don’t want Jack back it was a great ride when he was here and the connection with the fans was second to none. However he left and moved in as we now have it never works when a manager comes back and I’m not convinced he wouldn’t be using it as a stepping stone just to put his name about again im not sure yet who I would like to see take over but for me just no. 

3 minutes ago, Clydebanksaint said:

I might be in the minority here but if Goody goes I don’t want Jack back it was a great ride when he was here and the connection with the fans was second to none. However he left and moved in as we now have it never works when a manager comes back and I’m not convinced he wouldn’t be using it as a stepping stone just to put his name about again im not sure yet who I would like to see take over but for me just no. 

If he was able to keep up our present progress so be it.  We have always been a stepping stone for players and mangers, no change there.  

5 minutes ago, Clydebanksaint said:

What's wrong with that? Would you rather we got someone shite that we would have to sack? 

39 minutes ago, elvis said:

Who's taking training if goodwins heads up his arse wondering when he's going there's no way he's doing it.we will get horsed on Saturday and in midweek this happened before funny enough against Livingston and got pumped 4-1

Even if he was working 24 hrs a day to plot Livi s downfall you would expect us to lose....how is 2022 going for you ?

Just now, DougJamie said:

Even if he was working 24 hrs a day to plot Livi s downfall you would expect us to lose....how is 2022 going for you ?

It's going great so far looking forward to my holiday to Dominican Republic with not a care in the world.

1 hour ago, RossCSmfc said:

What's wrong with that? Would you rather we got someone shite that we would have to sack? 

As I say it’s just my own personal opinion had his turn and it never works out when managers come back       I never said get someone that is shite when a club brings in a manager nobody knows how it will turn out. If he came back who is to say it would not turn out shite with Jack

23 minutes ago, Clydebanksaint said:

As I say it’s just my own personal opinion had his turn and it never works out when managers come back       I never said get someone that is shite when a club brings in a manager nobody knows how it will turn out. If he came back who is to say it would not turn out shite with Jack

What would the alternative be then? Do you expect managers to come here, exceed expectations and not leave us? Lock them in at Ralston?

IMO Jack Ross would be the best option available to us at the moment if Goodwin leaves and I would happily see him use us as a stepping stone if it meant him doing another good job. 

eta: I don’t think JR would even be interested in coming back FWIW. Best case scenario all round for me is if Goodwin stays.

Edited by RossCSmfc