The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

I suppose what we can hope for is that the others that are shortlisted give better interviews than JG. Alternatively I'm sure Mrs Goodwin may convince him for now a quite frankly a stable job far better that going to another club who want success yesterday, more than likely won't be given enough time to turn it round and end up sacked within 12 months.

On the subject of Jack Ross, when he left us to go to Sunderland, they offered him a contract 5x what he was offered with us. No brainer at the time. Imo Aberdeen very much another Sunderland, willing to throw silly money about in hope that it works. I shudder to think what ramirez and brown are creaming off them wage wise amongst others. 

36 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

I suppose what we can hope for is that the others that are shortlisted give better interviews than JG. Alternatively I'm sure Mrs Goodwin may convince him for now a quite frankly a stable job far better that going to another club who want success yesterday, more than likely won't be given enough time to turn it round and end up sacked within 12 months.

On the subject of Jack Ross, when he left us to go to Sunderland, they offered him a contract 5x what he was offered with us. No brainer at the time. Imo Aberdeen very much another Sunderland, willing to throw silly money about in hope that it works. I shudder to think what ramirez and brown are creaming off them wage wise amongst others. 

Decent points. But..if the offer is there and the money is right then I for one won’t blame him for taking it. Aberdeen have up to 18000 or 20000 at home games and have a larger corporate income I would guess although both have been affected recently I would think.

As far as an incoming manager is concerned , should we need one then, Ross or MacKay would fit the bill. Mackay would have the “unfortunate” side effect of knocking Ross County’s bid to break free from the relegation zone.

14 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Decent points. But..if the offer is there and the money is right then I for one won’t blame him for taking it. Aberdeen have up to 18000 or 20000 at home games and have a larger corporate income I would guess although both have been affected recently I would think.

As far as an incoming manager is concerned , should we need one then, Ross or MacKay would fit the bill. Mackay would have the “unfortunate” side effect of knocking Ross County’s bid to break free from the relegation zone.

Aberdeen struggle to get 10k these days for a lot of games 

3 hours ago, Clydebanksaint said:

I might be in the minority here but if Goody goes I don’t want Jack back it was a great ride when he was here and the connection with the fans was second to none. However he left and moved in as we now have it never works when a manager comes back and I’m not convinced he wouldn’t be using it as a stepping stone just to put his name about again im not sure yet who I would like to see take over but for me just no. 

I agree whole heartedly.

Jack Ross left us in the lurch at the earliest whiff of money.  Should James Goodwin depart then Jack Ross would be foolish appointment indeed.

Jim is a better human being though, Jim might stay, if he does not then we cross the bridge when we come to it.

23 minutes ago, Rascal said:

More important financially (and a major distraction to a manager and team trying to focus), is that this is a squad attempting to move house/stadium.

no matter how hard you may try, there are always distractions at such a time.

and JG moving his family’s house up there at the same time will be added distraction…. Or he could just slog up and down the motorways or depart for weeks up to a drab hotel.

JG strikes me as more sensible than that.

unless his wife WANTS to head up there for the sunshine…?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, TediousTom said:

I agree whole heartedly.

Jack Ross left us in the lurch at the earliest whiff of money.  Should James Goodwin depart then Jack Ross would be foolish appointment indeed.

Jim is a better human being though, Jim might stay, if he does not then we cross the bridge when we come to it.

Well said Sir spoken like a veteran who's seen it all before :)  

9 hours ago, TediousTom said:

I agree whole heartedly.

Sunderland on paper was an amazing opportunity. A club in the lower leagues with an EPL fanbase & big budget that could treble (at least) his wages. It’s highly unlikely any other St Mirren manager over the decades (including Jim Goodwin) would have turned that down. 

I get fans being hurt by this sort of thing but we should be applying some realism to managers of St Mirren.

Goodwin obviously has at least some interest in the Aberdeen role which isn’t nearly as big a job as Sunderland. If he does go, I don’t see why people wouldn’t take Ross back. We aren’t likely to hire someone else that if he does well, won’t have his head turned by bigger opportunities. 

18 hours ago, Balmullo Bud said:

The Dons fans I’ve spoken to would prefer Jim, but they also like to wind me up about Saints. 

Have they got much ammo for that at the moment? We've beaten them twice, are above them in the league, they're out both cups and they've won two trophies in 30 years. I hope you're giving it to them f**king tight!

Going by the amount of effort and airtime people on here are giving this, it's obvious to me that Aberdeen's misdirection and mischief making is working. The players are probably just as distracted by all this nonsense. We have, IMO, two season defining games coming up which may give us a good springboard to go for the heady heights of top four. I hope this is all concluded today and that I am proven right. Then, when Jim realizes he's been played as a patsy, he gees up the troops to push for that dream.

ETA:

This quote from the Daily Ranger sums it up:

"Former Buddies boss Jack Ross has also held talks about taking over at Pittodrie, with a number of other candidates under consideration too".

Edited by stlucifer

2 hours ago, fmckinn said:

I am more concerned what the impact will be on the players out of contract at the end of the season. How many would follow Goody if he leaves to Aberdeen

Are many out of contract? Off the top of my head it's just Alnwick who will be away regardless of who the manager is. and Tanser, who has an option of another year. The three loanees will be away regardless of who the manager is too. 

Yeah I’m a bit underwhelmed by that signing too. 
JG seems to see potential there. He certainly rates the lad. Can't say I see what the gaffer sees, but I support him all the way. His call.

Mind you... If he ties the player to Saints then leaves, I will be less than chuffed.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk