The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

31 minutes ago, BanburyBud said:

I’m neither here nor there if, or when, he goes. I also don’t want all the usual nonsense of “thanks to the club and the fans”. Not interested in all that! 
What does stick in my throat is timing of it all. 
How ironic that our club and fans suffer because of another club’s mistakes. That’s football I suppose 🤷‍♂️
He has also been conspicuous by his absence in the media this week as he usually has plenty to say. Funny that……

lets see what the next chapter has in store for us 

Jack Ross left at the end of the season and got crucified for it. So when would be good timing?

Just admit it, we are unhappy he is leaving at all. Nothing to do with timing.

Never dull supporting the Buds …………….. what’s annoying is that it is another case of us building some momentum only to get the rug pulled from under us again !
Good luck to Jim but don’t think he will get away with winless runs of 11 games up there - more of a concern if the back room team goes with him 

3 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Jack Ross left at the end of the season and got crucified for it. So when would be good timing?

Just admit it, we are unhappy he is leaving at all. Nothing to do with timing.

I appreciate, and agree, with your point about Ross bud. 
But, in all honesty, mate I’m not unhappy about him leaving for me it’s about the situation that we picked up a wee bit of form and momentum coupled with the fact it is a day before quite an important game for us. 

I’ve had 55 years of players and managers leaving our club It’s what happens and will never change Onwards and upwards to our next manager whoever he may be 🏁🏁🏁

Good luck to Jim in the future but not the near future Hope he walks out on the Dons for the ROI job soon

15 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Does that statement not seem a bit late?

They could’ve said that a couple of days ago.

I thought the interviews were concluded yesterday so it’s stating the obvious a bit now is it not. 

Approached but did they give permission  ,is there ,was there an interview???

I just want this done now.

He wants to explore the vacancy. I get they have a bigger fan base and have bigger budget, but if he doesn't get the control he likes, he might not go.

If we have ambition we are the same as Aberdeen, but without the budget. Surely every club, other than the OF are the same? In an Ideal world you want to finish highest at 3rd, Want to progress/win cups, want European football? So the control and budget are then the selling points, no?

Currently we are are 6th. They are 8th. League cup we both got knocked out 2nd round I think. Scottish cup we are into the 6th round and Aberdeen are out. We look totally in a better position, all is just money, which is a shame, but understandable. I just hate how Aberdeen are up their own arse with their famous Aberdeen bull shit.

Sorry ranting. I know managers come and go, but we have finally got good vibe, good momentum, potential to finish top 6 and those pricks come in and unsettle it all.

I just want it sorted quickly.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Sensible move for Goodwin and probably for the club.

All it would take is fo us to lose two or three games, slip down the league a few places and Goodwin would be worth nothing.

This way the club get 250K. None of the players can leave before summer. And Goodwin can easily be replaced with someone just as effective.

It's rotten timing for us but a good time to take the reigns at the Dons. 

Even a mediocre manager should be able to improve on their league position and offload their overpaid mediocre players for better.

It's all about us though... have we got a good plan on place to utilise the compensation money and install a new management team that can get us 4th place... high goal but is very possible if we keep clicking and don't end up with loads of draws, or defeats 

I’ll throw this into the mix, apologies if it’s been mentioned before .

Perhaps Fitzys departure might have had a bearing on Goody’s thinking. ? 🤷‍♂️

I know Fitz thinks the world of Goody and from what I could see the feeling was mutual . Could the dons move simply have come at a time where Goody was pondering what the future might hold at Buddies ?

I really don’t know if this is the case and if it has had some influence on Jim’s thinking , was just wondering , perhaps ? 

11 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I just want this done now.

He wants to explore the vacancy. I get they have a bigger fan base and have bigger budget, but if he doesn't get the control he likes, he might not go.

If we have ambition we are the same as Aberdeen, but without the budget. Surely every club, other than the OF are the same? In an Ideal world you want to finish highest at 3rd, Want to progress/win cups, want European football? So the control and budget are then the selling points, no?

Currently we are are 6th. They are 8th. League cup we both got knocked out 2nd round I think. Scottish cup we are into the 6th round and Aberdeen are out. We look totally in a better position, all is just money, which is a shame, but understandable. I just hate how Aberdeen are up their own arse with their famous Aberdeen bull shit.

Sorry ranting. I know managers come and go, but we have finally got good vibe, good momentum, potential to finish top 6 and those pricks come in and unsettle it all.

I just want it sorted quickly.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Aberdeen are  a way bigger club than St Mirren and Jim Goodwin will take this job if offered it.

He will have a way bigger budget, stability of squad and can only go upwards.

Great stepping stone for him if he reaches the potential that is being attributed to him.

Wonder if he would have been in the running 7 games back ??

Was interested to see how we would perform over next 3 games before really getting exited about any prospects we have.

Personally if we can attract Jack Ross or Malky Mackay type to SMFC then I'm not overly fussed.

Plenty of decent managers out of work at the moment who would be good appointments and every bit as capable as JG in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I’ll throw this into the mix, apologies if it’s been mentioned before .

Perhaps Fitzys departure might have had a bearing on Goody’s thinking. ? 🤷‍♂️

I know Fitz thinks the world of Goody and from what I could see the feeling was mutual . Could the dons move simply have come at a time where Goody was pondering what the future might hold at Buddies ?

I really don’t know if this is the case and if it has had some influence on Jim’s thinking , was just wondering , perhaps ? 

Welcome back, that's funny.

Goodwin wouldn't be pondering anything if Aberdeen hadn't sacked Glass.

Bringing Tony into this is beyond the realms of reality.

Looks like I was wrong about this. I'm pretty certain the deal's been done before both clubs announced this. I am still surprised the dons want to pay a quarter of a million quid when they have a few candidates who are at least of similar quality. If the deal isn't done then they are still benefitting from our team being in turmoil over the next few days after which they could appoint someone else.

ETAA: Is it sensible to let JG pick the team and tactics for tomorrow given he might benefit from us losing?

Edited by stlucifer

8 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Looks like I was wrong about this. I'm pretty certain the deal's been done before both clubs announced this. I am still surprised the dons want to pay a quarter of a million quid when they have a few candidates who are at least of similar quality. If the deal isn't done then they are still benefitting from our team being in turmoil over the next few days after which they could appoint someone else.

ETAA: Is it sensible to let JG pick the team and tactics for tomorrow given he might benefit from us losing?

McManus picking the team. If JG is gone he will have NO influence