The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

Personally, I am slightly surprised with the Aberdeen interest. As others have stated 7 games ago, would he have been in the mix........ I really doubt it.

Yes, it's all about timing and in that respect another Saints manager (JG) has had a semi-reasonable run of results (not dissimilar to Ross at the time when he went to Sunderland) and is hyped up as being the next best thing since sliced bread.

As I said in a previous post, he will go if offered the post, if for no other reason his stock right now is pretty high in Scottish terms, but Aberdeen are taking another financial gamble and their patience may not be that long if it takes two to three years to sort out their basic problems.

As for the knicker wetters out there, there are quite a number of good people who would be interested in the Paisley job right now. Yes it's disruptive, but we certainly shouldn't be pessimistic, nor fatalistic that we still can make the top 6.

44 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I'm pretty certain the deal's been done before both clubs announced this.

If the deal isn't done then they are still benefitting from our team being in turmoil over the next few days after which they could appoint someone else.

If the deal had been done, then there would be no turmoil and we may have had new manager in place, if he was up for it(JR)

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

Wonder if he would have been in the running 7 games back ??

No, and that's kind of the reason he should be taking it. He might not be in the running in seven games time either. Managerial stocks fall and rise very quickly. It seemed to be a question of what bigger club Callum Davidson would be moving to in the summer, now he looks like he could be sacked by St Johnstone. None of our previous managers are currently managing at full time level and Jim is always a bad run away from being out a job. He may never get a chance to manage a bigger club like Aberdeen again, so no one can blame him for taking it. 

23 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

In the meantime if he leaves there's 2 obvious candidates for me Jack Ross and Derek Mcinnes I expect one to take charge immediately it's a no brainer 

Can't see us paying Killie compo for McInnes just a few weeks after he joined them. I'm hoping for Paul Lambert.

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I know Fitz thinks the world of Goody and from what I could see the feeling was mutual . Could the dons move simply have come at a time where Goody was pondering what the future might hold at Buddies ?

If Goody was pondering, then we should all be worrying. 

Disappointing to lose Goodie. As likeable and decent a manager that we’ll ever have and someone who really knows and loves the club.

Tough gig for him at Aberdeen but I genuinely wish him well and wouldn’t want him to fail. Got to respect his ambition to go to another level and earn a much higher salary for his family.

Just a shame that it’s coming about on such a good run of form. It would have been good to see if he could’ve delivered top 6 for us.

There’s a bit of this that is him leaving while his stock is high, rather than some of the long lows we’ve tolerated without being under any major pressure. 

Credit deserved where it’s due for stabilising and improving SMFC.  Football and tactics weren’t great for spells and was never the most open and expansive football, but his league position last year is the standout in our recent history. Slight disappointment that he didn’t land the top 6 from the position we were in and at least a cup final after getting SF’s against 2 non old-firm clubs.  It’s a shame that he’s not staying long enough to see what this season can deliver.  

I guess that’s the nature of it. Any of our players or managers going on to a bigger club will have done us a decent turn unlike plenty of wage thieves we’ve had over the years.

2 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Disappointing to lose Goodie. As likeable and decent a manager that we’ll ever have and someone who really knows and loves the club.

Tough gig for him at Aberdeen but I genuinely wish him well and wouldn’t want him to fail. Got to respect his ambition to go to another level and earn a much higher salary for his family.

Just a shame that it’s coming about on such a good run of form. It would have been good to see if he could’ve delivered top 6 for us.

There’s a bit of this that is him leaving while his stock is high, rather than some of the long lows we’ve tolerated without being under any major pressure. 

Credit deserved where it’s due for stabilising and improving SMFC.  Football and tactics weren’t great for spells and was never the most open and expansive football, but his league position last year is the standout in our recent history. Slight disappointment that he didn’t land the top 6 from the position we were in and at least a cup final after getting SF’s against 2 non old-firm clubs.  It’s a shame that he’s not staying long enough to see what this season can deliver.  

I guess that’s the nature of it. Any of our players or managers going on to a bigger club will have done us a decent turn unlike plenty of wage thieves we’ve had over the years.

He’s not gone yet? Is he?