The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

4 hours ago, TediousTom said:

Oh Bazil, the mans a prick.  Don't dress it up, face it.

"try applying logic"  your being an arse.  Why?

Don't turn into an arsehole in order to defend a man who stabbed his chairman in the back at the earliest opportunity when he got a whiff on currency.  Behave yourself now.  

Oh and just tore-iterate, the mans a prick.  The man of course is Jack Ross, a pricks prick.

Notice you didn’t answer my question though on if you’d have taken the job in those circumstances? 

How exactly is it different from Jim Goodwin today as well or should we just hire managers that will not leave for bigger opportunities & more money? Good luck finding them. 😂

Hi, my name is Matthew Muir and I am studying journalism at City of Glasgow College. 

I have published an article about potential candidates for the St. Mirren job, if any Buddies would be interested in reading. 

https://www.cityliveglasgow.com/journalism/2022/2/18/next-manager-options-four-managerial-candidates-to-replace-jim-goodwin-at-st-mirren

9 minutes ago, MatthewM02 said:

Hi, my name is Matthew Muir and I am studying journalism at City of Glasgow College. 

I have published an article about potential candidates for the St. Mirren job, if any Buddies would be interested in reading. 

https://www.cityliveglasgow.com/journalism/2022/2/18/next-manager-options-four-managerial-candidates-to-replace-jim-goodwin-at-st-mirren

Danny Lennon and Kevin Thompson are non starters in this race. 

7 minutes ago, MatthewM02 said:

Don't think Danny Lennon nor Kevin Thomson would be in the frame.

Many fans believe Lennon underachieved with possibly the strongest squad we ever had. And since he left he has hardly set the heather on fire nor been considered for any other jobs above Clyde..

Kevin Thomson is inexperienced and has proven nothing yet. His team may be top of the League but has a budget greater than some Championship clubs.

The same could be considered against Scott Brown although for some weird reason this is gaining momentum. Nothing beats experience and Brown need two years at a lower level before being considered in my opinion.

I am surprised that the sheep have went for JG but they have so we move on. Now for the next chapter. Who's next? I don't know but I hope this rumour that's gathering pace about the animal Scott Brown getting a chance is well off the mark. He's a disruptive influence that I would never have wanted in our playing staff let alone dictating the character of the whole team.

I thank Jim for what he has done for the club and I’m very sad to see him go.

The one thing  don’t do is wish him well. Had he gone to England or somewhere else I would have. However, he has moved to one of our competitors so I hope he loses every single game and gets sacked before the start of next season. 

59 minutes ago, MatthewM02 said:

Well done getting published. The article is titled 4 managerial candidates to replace jim, then comes up with 5 names, is that because 4 wouldn’t be popular and only one would? 

33 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

Well done getting published. The article is titled 4 managerial candidates to replace jim, then comes up with 5 names, is that because 4 wouldn’t be popular and only one would? 

I originally had 4 names, and last minute added Scott Brown. I will get that changed to 5. Sorry for any confusion. 

That should be it changed now. 

Edited by MatthewM02

34 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I thank Jim for what he has done for the club and I’m very sad to see him go.

The one thing  don’t do is wish him well. Had he gone to England or somewhere else I would have. However, he has moved to one of our competitors so I hope he loses every single game and gets sacked before the start of next season. 

Personally, I hope we win every game and hope he wins every game except when playing us. In that sense, I wish him well

Sorry to lose him, particularly at this stage in season and during this run. Not ideal. Wish him well. We need to get this appointment right. Would Jack Ross consider returning? Despite what happened during and after his departure you can only be loyal to the team you play for or manage. Would be a good shout. Or McManus and Langfield till end of season? What you don’t want is massive upset. Scott Brown surely too much of a gamble

Having just read through the last 5 pages of this subject, it's a pretty interesting cross section of opinion.

To a large extent I can see the ambivalence about Scott Brown within the supporters, however I also think a number of comments have been pretty crass. To say he has more moving limbs than brain cells is an insult and I will give you my opinion as to why I believe that.

A couple of years ago I happened to pick up an interview he had done in the Celtic changing room as to his position in the club, his aspirations and his continuing drive as a footballer. To my complete surprise it was one of the most enlightening interviews I have heard from any footballer over many years. He was articulate, committed to his beliefs (to achieve the best he could at what he did), intelligent on many things related to football and also it lifted my estimation of him to a much higher level.

Now I'm not saying that it should make him a sure fire shoe in for JG, and maybe it has come too early, but mark my words, he will be successful as a coach come manager eventually. He has drive, commitment and focus and he takes few prisoners. Just because you didn't like him as an opponent against us, shouldn't necessarily colour your judgement of him as a person.

8 hours ago, TediousTom said:

Oh Bazil, the mans a prick.  Don't dress it up, face it.

"try applying logic"  your being an arse.  Why?

Don't turn into an arsehole in order to defend a man who stabbed his chairman in the back at the earliest opportunity when he got a whiff on currency.  Behave yourself now.  

Oh and just tore-iterate, the mans a prick.  The man of course is Jack Ross, a pricks prick.

your comments on Jack Ross are bitter and twisted nonsense

Edited by lenziebud

13 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Having just read through the last 5 pages of this subject, it's a pretty interesting cross section of opinion.

To a large extent I can see the ambivalence about Scott Brown within the supporters, however I also think a number of comments have been pretty crass. To say he has more moving limbs than brain cells is an insult and I will give you my opinion as to why I believe that.

A couple of years ago I happened to pick up an interview he had done in the Celtic changing room as to his position in the club, his aspirations and his continuing drive as a footballer. To my complete surprise it was one of the most enlightening interviews I have heard from any footballer over many years. He was articulate, committed to his beliefs (to achieve the best he could at what he did), intelligent on many things related to football and also it lifted my estimation of him to a much higher level.

Now I'm not saying that it should make him a sure fire shoe in for JG, and maybe it has come too early, but mark my words, he will be successful as a coach come manager eventually. He has drive, commitment and focus and he takes few prisoners. Just because you didn't like him as an opponent against us, shouldn't necessarily colour your judgement of him as a person.

100%, I happen to think, as he's bright and articulate, with a wealth of experience, he could be a success.

The personal shite that's getting thrown at him, while not a total surprise, is unnecessary.

9 hours ago, bazil85 said:

You can say it’s short on detail but for me the most important detail is this. Practically any St Mirren manager when waved a carrot such as the Sunderland (or Ipswich for that matter) job, is very likely to take it.

Try applying the logic to yourself, if you managed a promoted Scottish championship side (that you didn’t necessarily support) and was offered a role from an English club with EPL history & aspirations that could in theory financially secure your family in 3-5 seasons, would you not be tempted? 

As for not achieving much. Yes he struggled at Sunderland but so has every manager since & a few before. Poison chalice as they say. He got Hibs their first 3rd place finish in over a decade & to two cup finals. He lost his job on a poor run not dissimilar to what Goodwin had earlier this season, I personally think it was very harsh.

The signing St Mirren players. He has a duty of care at any club he manages to sign the players he think will do the job. In the past St Mirren have signed players from clubs previously managed by our at the time gaffers. It’s part of football.

When names like Scott Brown are being mentioned it really hits home for me just how much worse or more risky the next manger could be than Jack Ross.  

I have never questioned old Tom over his opinion, his wisdom is second to none on this forum, his knowledge of the beautiful game stretches back well over a 100 years, but on this occasion it pain's me to disagree,  as I stated before my only gripe with Jack was his constant raiding of our club at every opportunity but that goes with the job.

Jack is the obvious choice,  I don't see where he'll get a better gig than us in Scotland,  can't see Heart's,  Aberdeen and Hib's are gone, possible only Dundee United when it's available,  maybe a nobody in England's lower leagues like a Wigan,  if he decides it's not for him then and is waiting on a call from Joan Laporta or Abramovich 

Then I'm back with old Tom...  Fuk him he's a prick  

It may be a long shot but we could do worse than try to prise Derek McInnes   from Killie. Ready made, high flying Premier League club instead of a maybe one given the Arbroath run in their league. It wouldn't be wasted on him that he could end  up beating the dons to a European spot with the man they sacked. Almost ironic given our history.           

Edited by stlucifer

Scott Brown has no history as far as I know of being disrespectful to our club or any other apart from winding up arseholes from Rangers like Morelos Bartley and Diouf and they say he grew up as a Rangers fan,  no one ever got the better of him on the park, he's a winner for sure, he's a Celtic legend with a list of medals and honours.. 

I remember one of his early caps for Scotland he kicked the Italian superstars all over the park they were raging at him and he just laughed in their faces 

He wouldn't have been on my list as the next manager but i wouldn't rule him out either 

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

Like Jim Goodwin, Scott Brown is a completely  different  character  off the park

4 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Like Jim Goodwin, Scott Brown is a completely  different  character  off the park

Those type of players usually are. I remember watching Mark Hughes of Manchester United for a striker he was as tough as nails on the park off it he was so mild mannered you wouldn't think it was the same guy