The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

20 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Looks like the Dons have just sacked Glass. Hope they don’t come sniffing around Goodie. One of the few downsides about the great run we are on is that our manager’s profile rises. 

That was my initial thoughts on reading that news bud! Jim is ambitious and has never hid the fact that he wants to progress in his career. Would this be a good move for him at this stage?…… I certainly hope not 

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Wasn’t Scott Brown signed with a longer term view to becoming the coach? 

Yes and no guarentee he did not undermine Glass.

But they have been woeful despite having the Ram to bang on goals for them.

Glad to see them humbled from their lofty arrogance...

16 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

If Jim was to decide he wants to go sheep shagging up north then good luck to him he'll need it..  

Then it will be a no brainer for me, Jack Ross with Stephen McGinn as his number two,  no man's bigger than our club, and were not stopping here it's onward's and upwards for our club  🏁 🏁 

Agree I’d have no qualms about bringing back JR (I think Hibs were very hasty in sacking him), but first and foremost I obviously hope JG goes nowhere. 

47 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agree I’d have no qualms about bringing back JR (I think Hibs were very hasty in sacking him), but first and foremost I obviously hope JG goes nowhere. 

JR would be the logical choice given the sheep are a bunch of tight barstewards and Ross would cost them nowt.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

JR was a great manager for us. I have to wonder why 2 clubs were keen to offload him. Perhaps there was nothing, but who knows?

15 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

JR was a great manager for us. I have to wonder why 2 clubs were keen to offload him. Perhaps there was nothing, but who knows?

One might say for much the same reason that Sean Malloney might well have been on an extremely 'shoogly peg' had Hibs not won today and for the self same reason that Stephen Glass just departed Aberdeen, both fairly 'big' clubs with a large fan-base who have even larger expectations and likewise;Sunderland fits within the same criteria. I personally I think both Ross and Glass were handed 'hospital passes' at Sunderland and Aberdeen respectively, I believe neither had the full commitment of the club behind them and were stop-gap managers who if they wqere succesfull would give kudos to those who hired them and if not.....well we can see that outcome.

15 minutes ago, jaybee said:

One might say for much the same reason that Sean Malloney might well have been on an extremely 'shoogly peg' had Hibs not won today and for the self same reason that Stephen Glass just departed Aberdeen, both fairly 'big' clubs with a large fan-base who have even larger expectations and likewise;Sunderland fits within the same criteria. I personally I think both Ross and Glass were handed 'hospital passes' at Sunderland and Aberdeen respectively, I believe neither had the full commitment of the club behind them and were stop-gap managers who if they wqere succesfull would give kudos to those who hired them and if not.....well we can see that outcome.

I agree on Sunderland.  They lost out on the last game of the season. Then struggled after he left, but it wasn't working at Hibs despite a good squad and getting to sign a good number of players. Magennis fitness won't have helped but they underperformed on the park... so the buck stops with JR and his coaching staff and they paid the price.

Jury's out on whether he will ever return to us. Personally I think progress is more likely going forwards than backwards - but i do truly value where JR rescued us from...

JG contract extension along with Greive and Shaunessey asap....

Jim has a young family so that may be a factor in any move at this time. His kids may be still in primary school so moving now may not be an issue.

He is certainly ambitious. He has targeted the Ireland job as one of his ambitions.

We would all agree the Aberdeen job brings a larger salary, larger budget, etc so he may well be tempted. 

It was a route that Fergie traveled many moons ago.

I really like Jim. Honest and hardworking. Really well spoken and respectful of staff and fans alike.

Whether we like it or not, we have one of the smallest budgets in the league. One bad season and we could be back in the championship.

If he goes, he can hold his head up high when he returns to Paisley. After he has waved to the crowd on his return then we can boo him.

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

I agree on Sunderland.  They lost out on the last game of the season. Then struggled after he left, but it wasn't working at Hibs despite a good squad and getting to sign a good number of players. Magennis fitness won't have helped but they underperformed on the park... so the buck stops with JR and his coaching staff and they paid the price.

Jury's out on whether he will ever return to us. Personally I think progress is more likely going forwards than backwards - but i do truly value where JR rescued us from...

JG contract extension along with Greive and Shaunessey asap....

Hibs underperformed on the park??

He got them 3rd place in the league and to the Scottish Cup Final.

I know this season wasn’t panning out quite so well, but they were hardly in the shit. They were still roughly where you might ordinarily expect a Hibs team to be in the league. They have no divine right to top 6 never mind 3rd.

They punted him way too early and no mistake. 

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Jim has a young family so that may be a factor in any move at this time. His kids may be still in primary school so moving now may not be an issue.

He is certainly ambitious. He has targeted the Ireland job as one of his ambitions.

We would all agree the Aberdeen job brings a larger salary, larger budget, etc so he may well be tempted. 

It was a route that Fergie traveled many moons ago.

I really like Jim. Honest and hardworking. Really well spoken and respectful of staff and fans alike.

Whether we like it or not, we have one of the smallest budgets in the league. One bad season and we could be back in the championship.

If he goes, he can hold his head up high when he returns to Paisley. After he has waved to the crowd on his return then we can boo him.

Spot on

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hibs underperformed on the park??

He got them 3rd place in the league and to the Scottish Cup Final.

I know this season wasn’t panning out quite so well, but they were hardly in the shit. They were still roughly where you might ordinarily expect a Hibs team to be in the league. They have no divine right to top 6 never mind 3rd.

They punted him way too early and no mistake. 

Club long established in top league, big budget and their rivals just get back and are doing much better

Expectations not being achieved... realistic... why not with the right manager etc.

Maybe they did jump too quick, but were there other factors? 

Edited by Sweeper07

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

Club long established in top league, big budget and their rivals just get back and are doing much better

Expectations not being achieved... realistic... why not with the right manager etc.

Maybe they did jump too quick, but we there other factors? 

Long established? 
They’ve only been up one season longer than us. 

28 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Hibernian have competed in the top division of Scottish football in all but four seasons since they first gained entry to the top division in 1895.  

Really not sure what your point is. What is the relevance of them being in the top division in 1897?

Perhaps you could Google how many of those seasons they finished 3rd In the league like they did last season, compared to how many times they’ve finished in a position equal to or below the position they were in when JR got sacked. 

43 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Maybe they did jump too quick, but were there other factors? 

Clubs , or is that owners, have short memories. 

I find the interest from some Dons fans and pundits in JG a bit lazy/bizarre. 

He is far from a standout manager - plenty of mistakes, long runs of rotten form, uninspiring tactics & performances.  Transfer dealings prob more good than bad but there’s still a number of duds.

He’s been talked up since the night we beat Rangers. I honestly can’t see how he would fit the bill for Aberdeen. 

Incidentally, I think he’s still at a good stage of cutting his teeth with us.  If he can deliver a top 6 finish with us and then enters the following season with us looking like a clear top 6 team then that really elevates his status for me. For now, he’s just another middle of the pack manager IMO. (BTW - I love the handsome man and wholly support him)