The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread

4 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

I don't buy all these statements i'm reading.. No Brainer, treble his wages, bigger budget,  the job centre is full of successful ambitious  ex Managers who have took that route, most lasting no more than a year at their new big club,  how did did it work out for Jack Ross, or Alan Stubbs who left Hibs a week after winning the holy grail for them. or Frank Lampard 

Very few Managers have success at more than one club only the elite do, no brainer I don't think so,

What is success for Aberdeen finishing 3rd getting to Cup finals a European place ? Derek McInnes got sacked for achieving that. 

Our last 3 managers have been successful and there's a good reason for that they've had a ambitious board behind them who want success too. we really don't need this crap, it need's to be sorted one way or the other and right now, 4th place is a possible finish for us so the club and Jim should tell them to Fuk off  but if he want's to speak to them let him go the last thing we need is a manager who wants to leave 

Did McInnes  actually get sacked?  I may be wrong but I think he completed his contracted term

anyhoo, any job move is far from a no brainier and the safety net will be in place for him if he goes

I wouldn’t want to live in Aberdeen but other than that all the signs would be positive and I’d likely take it if I was in his shoes 

it would be interesting for us as I think Goodwin has got it wrong slightly more than he has got it right for us in terms of tactics and selection 

id take a punt on Shaughnessy as player coach until the successor is in place

Edited by beyond our ken

Did McInnes  actually get sacked?  I may be wrong but I think he completed his contracted term
anyhoo, any job move is far from a no brainier and the safety net will be in place for him if he goes
I wouldn’t want to live in Aberdeen but other than that all the signs would be positive and I’d likely take it if I was in his shoes 
it would be interesting for us as I think Goodwin has got it wrong slightly more than he has got it right for us in terms of tactics and selection 

To be honest I'd be happy if big Joe was in goals, defence, midfield, striker, coach, sports scientist and chairman. He has been amazing. #mancrush

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Believe he had a year left on his contract 

35 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Going forward, this is what we're going to miss and is of interest to Aberdeen.

Pretty shocking decision to sack Mcpake as was Ross so why should managers be committed to clubs when they are so expendable...how much have we thrown away sacking then compensating.... i reckon/ hope Lennon will get Dundee job...  just as long as he never gets our gig.... so hope Dundee go down and Arbroath go up... 

Jim's reluctance to change things ,when for weeks on end it was clear to see that his system wasn't working surprises me that he is in the running for the Dons job. I like Jim a lot, he comes across well and always talks about the club and fans passionately. If he is even swaying in his thought process about another job, wages aside, come the end of the season the team he has now won't have Alnwick, Ronan, Jones, Gogic plus others , so in my opinion given the chance, unfortunately I think he would walk. (and I wouldn't hold it against him) . Wouldn't want Jack Ross as his replacement if he goes. Regardless of what happens, I hope it's over with quickly and we can all continue to move on.

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Pretty shocking decision to sack Mcpake as was Ross so why should managers be committed to clubs when they are so expendable...how much have we thrown away sacking then compensating.... i reckon/ hope Lennon will get Dundee job...  just as long as he never gets our gig.... so hope Dundee go down and Arbroath go up... 

Neil or Danny?

12 hours ago, DougJamie said:

I just can't see Lennon ever getting a gig in football management again. What club are going to hire a guy that's failed at every job he's had where he's been challenged? He's only ever had success (bar a single okay year at Hibs in the Premier) when his employers budget is far higher than the competition (first time at Celtic & Hibs in the Championship). When ever he's had any sort of rebuild job, his bottle has crashed. There will always be better candidates. 

Famous last words here, two weeks later. St Mirren appoint... 🤣

It would be Alex Rae/ Alan Stubbs all over again. 

The way people go on about the three at the back you'd think we were sitting cut adrift at the bottom of the league at Christmas, we weren't of course.  The lowest we went was 9th, which had we finished there would have been the third highest finish the club's had since the 80's. Not quite the 'shambles' some would have us believe. We also won three top flight games in a row using that system, something we hadn't managed since Gus and indeed haven't managed since. 

The main contributors to the winless run were injuries, yet more COVID issues and a bit of bad luck. There were several decent results and performances in there too, in fact i still think the best football we have played all season was the 2-2 draw at Fir Park in October.  The stats for that game were something else:

image.png.b60da644deefc66452d8c5fdf23d7999.png

With performances like that the wins would have came anyway, but no manager should be wedded to any system and Jim isn't. If/when we go on a bad run he will change the system again, which is what any good manager should do. 

Unless he's improved loads since his gig at Well, I'd be delighted if he gets the job at Dee.... 

Right now it's between them and the Fakes for the bottom 2 spots. I think RC are better than them both...

So his best chance is survival through the play offs.

The Fakes are a poorer team with plenty injuries but a number of new signings who might improve them....