Heaven & Hell Thread. Naw, Just Fecking Hell.

shull

54 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

does the fact that you are a former DJ tar you with the same brush as Jimmy Saville?

Prince Andrew and Jimmy Savile were they  acused ? As a young man spinning records that's what it was for me all about the music. As for sex only with females who wanted to be with me and I with them. Never paid for sex or be with someone I or they did not want to. It's more meaningful and enjoyable when two partners want each other. These days are long gone been with my wife for over 30 plus years.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think quite a few people have missed your sarcasm. :lol

For once I thought your post was pretty clear too. :P

Any reasonable person spotted right away that it was sarcasm, you didn't. The prosecution rests...

:)

On 8/22/2019 at 2:23 PM, antrin said:

Can’t agree with you about his solo career.  Most of his songs on Double Fantasy were pretty perfect, I thought.  Resounded with me, at any rate.

I really liked him as a Beatle, even more as JL.

his solo career was ended soon after the release of Double Fantasy by what people on another part of this forum call, “a total c**t”.

Dylan has  not had that kind of setback...

My post was questioning the judgment of John Lennon from the era he wrote the song "God" and more generally as a leader or trend setter. Most of the people and religions he lists in the song as not believing in were people and movements he promoted in the 60's at one point or other before changing his mind again and jumping on to his latest guru of the moment.

"I just believe in me.

Yoko and me.

That's reality".

He was a heroin addict during the time he was writing his first solo album, and then trying to kick that habit and did primal scream therapy. A year before writing God Lennon had convened a meeting at Apple and announced to everyone there that he was Jesus. Pete Doggett's book on the Beatles' break up and their financial wrangles which continued from the break up until his book was published in 2009, highlights the fact that Apple was set up as a 1960's tax evasion scam with Lennon (and the others) wanting to hide money offshore, Lennon brought in Allen Klein to sort out Apple's finances and then insisted on hiring him as the Beatles' manager (one of the central events leading to the break up of the band when McCartney refused to agree). The same guy who wrote "Imagine" and the lines about "Imagine no possessions" lived in a mansion (and recorded the song there in his home studio) and was hiding money offshore, later he would give money to the IRA at the same time as campaigning to give peace a chance and was violent towards both wives and negligent towards both his sons, Lennon and the other Beatles spent every year since the break up suing each other and Allen Klein and Capitol Records, EMI Records, Apple Computers... "Imagine no possessions I wonder If you can. No need for greed or hunger, a brotherhood of man". The Beatles were still fighting about money in the 80s and this delayed their catalogue going on CD, and again in the 90s before and after their Anthology CDs and DVDs and book, the 1 album, the Love project, and the 2009 remaster and legal wrangles delayed their catalogue being made available for digital downloads and streaming. The first part of Mark Lewisown's Beatles biography chronicles the bad business deals struck on the Beatles' behalf as well as how Lennon and McCartney shafted George and Ringo on the business side. Even after he had officially gone cold turkey Doggett points out that several political activists in the mid-late 70s who had hoped to get Lennon behind their causes dropped their interest in having him promote their causes because he was privately still addicted to hard drugs and was too unreliable or incapable to be of much practical help to them. It would seem that he let Yoko and her astrologers run his life for him for much of the 70s when he and Yoko were together.

If we return to the last few lines of the song: "I just believe in me. Yoko and me. That's reality". I genuinely pity anyone thinking that John Lennon hit the nail on the head with the song "God" and called it correctly. From 1966-80 John Lennon was mostly off his face on drugs and doesn't show many signs of believing much in himself. Nothing is real except him and Yoko. Brilliant! Of course John and Yoko weren't able to stay together peacefully and split and reunited after 'God' was written and released. Years later John Lennon phoned a TV evangelist and asked for prayer and made some sort of commitment before Yoko banned him from following things up... and then one of the last songs Lennon wrote was his dig at Dylan's conversion, "Serve Yourself".

You'd be hard pushed to find a bigger hypocrite or someone who changed their mind as wildy and as often as John Lennon did... and I say this as someone who has all the Beatles official releases and plenty of bootlegs and most of their solo work.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

8 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

My post was questioning the judgment of John Lennon from the era he wrote the song "God" and more generally as a leader. Most of the people and religions he lists in the song as not believing in were people and movements he promoted in the 60's at one point or other before changing his mind again.

"I just believe in me.

Yoko and me.

That's reality".

He was a heroin addict during the time he was writing his first solo album, and then trying to kick that habit and did primal scream therapy. A year before writing God Lennon had convened a meeting at Apple and announced to everyone there that he was Jesus. Pete Doggett's book on the Beatles' break up and their financial wrangles which continued from the break up until his book was published in 2009, highlights the fact that Apple was set up as a 1960's tax evasion scam with Lennon (and the others) wanting to hide money offshore, Lennon brought in Allen Klein to sort out Apple's finances and then insisted on hiring him as the Beatles' manager (one of the central events leading to the break up of the band when McCartney refused to agree). The same guy who wrote "Imagine" and the lines about "Imagine no possessions" lived in a mansion (and recorded the song there in his home studio) and was hiding money offshore, later he would give money to the IRA at the same time as campaigning to give peace a chance and was violent towards both wives and negligent towards both his sons. Even after he had officially gone cold turkey Doggett points out that several political activists in the mid-late 70s who had hoped to get Lennon behind their causes dropped their interest in having him promote their causes because he was privately still addicted to hard drugs and was too unreliable or incapable to be of much practical help to them. It would seem that he let Yoko and her astrologers run his life for him for much of the 70s when he and Yoko were together.

If we return to the last few lines of the song: "I just believe in me. Yoko and me. That's reality". I genuinely pity anyone thinking that John Lennon hit the nail on the head with the song "God" and called it correctly. Years later John Lennon phoned a TV evangelist and asked for prayer and made some sort of commitment before Yoko banned him from following things up... and then one of the last songs Lennon wrote was his dig at Dylan's conversion, "Serve Yourself".

You'd be hard pushed to find a bigger hypocrite or someone who changed their mind as wildy and as often as John Lennon did... and I say this as someone who has all the Beatles official releases and plenty of bootlegs and most of their solo work.

I'm a Beatles fan also with all their albums A Ringo album a good few McCartney and Lennon sadly no Harrison. Simple understandable lyrics to catchy tunes. Going off here on another direction luv the Beatles.  

Uhm.... I agree with your post that JL was a remarkably complicated and contradictory man with no fixed set of opinions and undoubtedly many human flaws.  I don't really see what point you are trying to make, though... Sorry.

I thought the list in the God song was a reasonable iteration of things that COULD be as worthy of believing in, if you wanted, other than believe in yourself and family.  I said that the Double Fantasy songs resounded with me  -  not just that in the god song he 'hit the nail on the head' as even for me that would be perhaps too crude a crucifixion reference.  It was a long enough list of things to potentially believe IN A SONG.  A song which incidentally I don't think was about god.  gods maybe...

Despite him mocking McCartney about Silly Love Songs, I think that was really all this song was about.  The god bit was as irrelevant as any other idea on his list, in comparison with his apparent love for her and she for him.  It is nice.  Sweet.  :)

Woman, Mother etc... all also strong songs.

PS Thank you for your Christian 'pity for me', if you really thought I was taking JL's song as... er… gospel...

Edited by antrin
remembering my manners

14 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm a Beatles fan also with all their albums A Ringo album a good few McCartney and Lennon sadly no Harrison. Simple understandable lyrics to catchy tunes. Going off here on another direction luv the Beatles.  

Try the Bootleg Beatles show IOBS. Very entertaining 

On 8/22/2019 at 4:34 PM, Slartibartfast said:

To be honest, I started one of them then got caught up with something else and forgot to get back to them.  IIRC though, from what i saw he was just asserting things, not providing any evidence.  I'll try and watch them over the weekend and get back to you. :thumbs2

One week later. Perhaps I should have checked which weekend you were going to watch them.

I was interested that you say Lennox doesn't provide "any evidence" for his viewpoint in the debates with Hitchens and Dawkins. I had posted the videos in response to you saying no sane person could give any good reasons for believing in God.

So far you haven't answered my questions about whether you judge John Lennox in these debates to be sane or not and whether he gives any good reasons along the way in these debates for his beliefs. You don't have to agree with Lennox's conclusions to accept that he can hold his own debating and dialoging with Hitchens and Dawkins and can make a reasonable job of explaining his reasoning for believing in God.

I don't agree with lots of Dawkins conclusions in lots of areas but he does have a memorable turn of phrase and speaks well on a popular level for people on his side of the argument which means despite lots of schoolboy errors and poor research (when he starts dealing with philosophy and theology in his later books) he's still worth a read.

7 minutes ago, antrin said:

Uhm.... I agree with your post that JL was a remarkably complicated and contradictory man with no fixed set of opinions and undoubtedly many human flaws.  I don't really see what point you are trying to make, though... Sorry.

I thought the list in the God song was a reasonable iteration of things that COULD be as worthy of believing in, if you wanted, other than believe in yourself and family.  I said that the Double Fantasy songs resounded with me  -  not just that in the god song he 'hit the nail on the head' as even for me that would be perhaps too crude a crucifixion reference.  It was a long enough list of things to potentially believe IN A SONG.  A song which incidentally I don't think was about god.  gods maybe...

Despite him mocking McCartney about Silly Love Songs, I think that was really all this song was about.  The god bit was as irrelevant as any other idea on his list, in comparison with his apparent love for her and she for him.  It is nice.  Sweet.  :)

Woman, Mother etc... all also strong songs.

PS Thank you for your Christian 'pity for me', if you really thought I was taking JL's song as... er… gospel...

I think you may have taken the pity reference more personally than I intended.

Imagine is often quoted as one of the most popular songs of the 20th century or as pointing the way to a new spirituality freed from religion. Lennon dabbled temporarily in the occult, buddhism, transcendental meditation, hare krishna, Christianity, astrology but most consistently in drugs. His own life as you say was remarkably complicated and contradictory and a long way from the ideal painted in Imagine and a lot more religious in practice than the lyrics for "God" might suggest.

For what it's worth... I quite like most of his songs on Double Fantasy as well (and quite liked the stripped down remixes from a few years ago), one or two from Milk and Honey (one of which was sung by a friend at my own wedding) and like most of his first couple of (proper) solo albums, but would only say he did a handful of good songs from 1972-75 when he took a break from recording for 5 years.

"The Beatles said 'all you need is love' and then they broke up".

Nope. You don't "choose" to believe something, you are either convinced or you aren't. If you think I'm wrong, try believing that grass is pink.
Disagree.
I reckon there is always a moment of choice... The decision is to be made.. you choose what to do about it depending on, as you say, whether you are convinced or not.