Heaven & Hell Thread. Naw, Just Fecking Hell.

shull

8 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Man made of dust, woman made of bone, magic tree, talking snake, centuries of incest, nae dinosaurs...and that's just the first chapter.
What a book!!!

EAB. I'm not an apologist for religion but why are non religionists so evangelical about their position? 

10 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

In numerous surveys, the majority of Americans believe that the sun orbits the earth, the earth is about 6000 years old and that dinosaurs lived with humans - yep, they think The Flintstones was a documentary. I could go on, but I won't - at least, not yet. :)

I have a mate at work who actually believes this. He goes on to say the dinosaurs were wiped out by Noah’s flood (one of the most ridiculous and least realistic story in the whole book) and even says the flood started the ice age.

The guy has been completely brainwashed by his parents unfortunately.

18 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Religions are wholly conceived and written by men. Unfortunately that means you can't take man out of religion and consider them on their own merit.

Sorry God how can i serve you  :notworthy   i can rid the forum of all your non believers, I will start with Ricky then Faraway who will not be faraway if you get ma drift  :rolleyes:  

5 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

EAB. I'm not an apologist for religion but why are non religionists so evangelical about their position? 

It’s perhaps a frivolous flippant attempt to counteract a couple of thousand years worth of misinformation?

Edited by antrin
I was slipshod...

1 minute ago, Slartibartfast said:

Maybe because it leads people to be science deniers, start/continue armed conflicts and generally take actions that have negative effects on others. It's bad enough when it's just Joe Bloggs spouting off to to those around him, it's even worse when these people are actually in positions of power - like US Vice President Mike Pence who is a YEC and Evolution denier - as these people have influence over many, many more people.

It's not so much about changing people's minds, it's about getting them to actually use their minds to critically evaluate the things that they believe, whether that be religious beliefs or some other belief. Get them to look at evidence and draw their own conclusions, rather than just believing authoritative figures who, in the main, have their own agenda to push.

Clearly, I get what you are saying. Already said that belief, almost by definition, overrides logic. 

I like the approach Doakes has suggested earlier in the thread. A set of values and behaviours to live by are needed for societies to function and for individuals to know what is expected of them and of others. For some, Humanist approaches cover this, for others Religion does the job. As others have said, the essence of various religions is on causing no harm to others or yourself. That can't be bad. A different question, touched on by one or two including yourself, is that religion can be subverted or used to build political power. Those fighting wars declare them just, those building empires suggested (suggest) that they are spreading god's word. 

22 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

The funny thing is that, most if the time, those "subverting" the religions are the ones who are following it most accurately and not cherry picking their favourite parts.

Cherry picking is why people change religions or denominations within religions. They choose a religion/denomination that fits in with what they already believe, one that fits within their own moral compass. The moral compass comes first, the choice of religion/denomination comes as a result of it. If religion were true, there would only be one.

You do seem to be inordinately interested in the topic. 

Hard to disagree with what you write in that most people who are "religious" have been born into, raised and continue in that mould. 

Some don't. Some discontinue active involvement. Fewer perhaps seek to learn more about other religions and convert. 

As to one true religion... If there is or could be such a thing.. Then I think you are indirectly tying this to a monotheistic belief system with only one single methodology of worship. 

As to people in power using this lever... A whole new argument. 

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Aron Ra does a YouTube series entitled "How * disproves Noah's Flood", where * is one of many things like "Zoology", "Dendrochronology", " Mythology", ...

Give him this link. It might not make a difference, but at least it may get him to question his beliefs.

Unfortunately he’s one of those who point blank refuse to question anything about his religion, prefers to turn a blind eye to it all. We have another colleague who like him, used to be born-again Christian, but he’s now Jewish, and he continually throws out quotes from scriptures at him and never gets a response. Carbon dating isn’t an accurate method of measuring dates but a random book is, there’s really no point with him.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Why so much effort to disprove something?

Belief will continue to defy logic for many people.

Let each other be is my approach.

Religion is used to indoctrinate children from a young age. Being at Catholic school, I was indoctrinated at a young age and genuinely believed it all. It was only as I got older, noticed there many religions around the world, and the way science went against many religious claims that I snapped out of it. In countries like Pakistan you can’t even mention a different religion or atheism without being executed. Many wars are caused by religion (and political greed), many deaths “in the name of God”. People restrict their lives because of the belief if they do something it’ll send them to hell. Homosexuals are heavily oppressed in many religions.

Thats why some of us feel the need to make a stand against it. Generally I won’t debate until someone else fires their beliefs on me, but it’s a much bigger problem than people think.

2 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Unfortunately he’s one of those who point blank refuse to question anything about his religion, prefers to turn a blind eye to it all. We have another colleague who like him, used to be born-again Christian, but he’s now Jewish, and he continually throws out quotes from scriptures at him and never gets a response. Carbon dating isn’t an accurate method of measuring dates but a random book is, there’s really no point with him.

Religion is used to indoctrinate children from a young age. Being at Catholic school, I was indoctrinated at a young age and genuinely believed it all. It was only as I got older, noticed there many religions around the world, and the way science went against many religious claims that I snapped out of it. In countries like Pakistan you can’t even mention a different religion or atheism without being executed. Many wars are caused by religion (and political greed), many deaths “in the name of God”. People restrict their lives because of the belief if they do something it’ll send them to hell. Homosexuals are heavily oppressed in many religions.

Thats why some of us feel the need to make a stand against it. Generally I won’t debate until someone else fires their beliefs on me, but it’s a much bigger problem than people think.

If you read my previous post you will see that I am in agreement with a lot of what you write. The difference is that I am happy to accept a live and let live approach but I agree about the dangers of power, politics and religion together. 

On 8/13/2019 at 11:41 AM, Doakes said:

Not a religious type myself but there's definitely a benefit to having a set of principles/values to life your life by.  

Honesty and hard working gets me by,  haven't got a religions bone in my body.  

Edited by pod

23 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I've never discriminated for or against anyone I have met in the basis of religion or race. Strangely, I find my atheist friends to be the most voluble on both and relentingly evangelistic in their zeal to convert others to their beliefs. 

They don't belief. 

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
8 hours ago, Doakes said:
I didn’t say you need a religion to have a set of principles / values tbf.
Personally don’t have a problem with anyone who wants to practise a religion, as long as they don’t impose it on me, or others. 
I think there’s a lot of truth hidden in religious texts, some fascinating books and an insight into what life was like in the past. It’s almost like a shortcut for some people to decide how they should live their life, I don’t have a problem with that.
I do agree that it shouldn’t be embedded into schools. The whole thing about tax exemption is pretty weird, recently learned that private schools are often tax exempt also due to being listed as “charities.” That says more about the system we live in than anything else though, organisations will always find loopholes to exploit. 

I didn't mean to imply that you did say it, I was just stating a fact. Sorry if it came across otherwise.

f**king hell. A genuinely civilised post on this forum. I almost cried real tears. :P

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I agree with this.

It's the indoctrination of kids which is particularly disturbing.

The other thing is the clear set of control techniques - "If you don't believe in this god and in this specific way you'll burn in hell" etc. This is just a bullshit control technique similar to used used against battered wives across the world ...... how intelligent people can't see this for what it is staggers me.

Then you have the obvious corruption and accumulation of huge wealth at the top of the organisations, the focus on targetting the less well educated, the poor and the desperate.

For me it's not so much believing in religion as organised religions which is the core issue.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

If you read my previous post you will see that I am in agreement with a lot of what you write. The difference is that I am happy to accept a live and let live approach but I agree about the dangers of power, politics and religion together. 

Are you saying that you adopt a "live and let live" approach to the mass indoctrination of children?

You think that is a reasonable stance to take?

Edited by oaksoft