Stadium today

Russian sacrifice was huge and somewhat overlooked by historians, probably due to the iron curtain falling so quickly after the fall of Berlin. However there is no argument that Stalin was on a par with Hitler when it came to murdering civilians.
on a lighter note, Death of Stalin is an excellent film.  

I’m quite enjoying this walk through history as opposed to the vast majority of pish on the forum [emoji4]

Closest link to St Mirren

Demenienko , Belanov & Blokhen being linked with us in the 80’s [emoji2]

I'm assuming you thought your reply so good you posted it twice, however having posted something which I had not bothered to research I find I must apologise as it seems Mr Hitler is believed to be responsible for around 11 million non combatants death whilst it appears that the Stalinist regime only managed around 6 million.
I was alluding to non combatants in my original reply and was basing what I said on various events in Stalinist Russia, such as the Great Terror, the deaths in the Gulags, and policy decisions made by Stalin such as killed around 3.5 million inhabitants of Soviet Ukraine in the 1930's (a genocide against a specific nation; who were basically starved to death. there were various other purges which were supposed to have dispatched around 20 million.  However as I said I find I am wrong and apologise although 6 million deaths is still ..................something, or do you disagree?
I realise that you were NOT referring to the past in the same sense that I was and my reply is perhaps slightly out of context BUT the same the Holocaust happened, so therefore did the incidents to which I refer. Numbers aside they are both truly horrendous..

I posted it twice as I type with a stammer (that was another poor joke)
Nope, I totally agree. Both Hitler and Stalin were a pair of bad bastards. Both nations have moved on significantly (though I’ve never been to Germany) since those dark days. I would say that anti semitism is still bubbling away under the surface since the aforementioned days of Hitler. That’s something I don’t understand.

Anyway, we do digress from the initial topic chap but always more than happy to discuss politics and history.

I’m quite enjoying this walk through history as opposed to the vast majority of pish on the forum [emoji4]

Demenienko , Belanov & Blokhen being linked with us in the 80’s [emoji2]

Well there’s a signed St Mirren top hanging proudly in the Mishka bar in city of Yuzhno, Sakhalin island. Donated by my good self.

1 hour ago, whydowebother said:

I’m quite enjoying this walk through history as opposed to the vast majority of pish on the forum emoji4.png

Demenienko , Belanov & Blokhen being linked with us in the 80’s emoji2.png

What about Gus? He is always Russian about Central Europe looking for talent.

I will get my coat 

It's quite a turnaround in that part of Paisley also a lot of good people come out of that part of the town. 

I lived there till I joined the army in 1980 & short time after before moving, nothing wrong with feegie good & bad like any scheme, [emoji4]
Def alright home to our team [emoji469][emoji469]

1 hour ago, ged62 said:

I lived there till I joined the army in 1980 & short time after before moving, nothing wrong with feegie good & bad like any scheme, emoji4.png
Def alright home to our team emoji469.pngemoji469.png

I lived there 62-74 and happiest days of my life. Lots of good people then and a lot doing community work and supporting the scheme today. 

Did it once murder. 

I was based in Yuzhno on a 7 (week) x 3 rotation. I thought the flights in and out of Yuzhno were bad enough without that added on train journey.
Some of the site based guys would be on a real downer before heading to Nogliki, you’d think they were taking the long walk to the gallows.

1 hour ago, Russian Saint said:

I was based in Yuzhno on a 7 (week) x 3 rotation. I thought the flights in and out of Yuzhno were bad enough without that added on train journey.
Some of the site based guys would be on a real downer before heading to Nogliki, you’d think they were taking the long walk to the gallows.

It's the most hellish journey I ever had and I have had a few. Cabbage soup anyone lol. 

44 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

I dropped into a totally random street in Yuzhno in Google Street View to have a look at it.

I like the contrast in imagery with the absolutely brutal looking block of flats, with half a tree missing, but when you zoom in on the crouching figure you see that she was scrawling 'I love you', in English on the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.9803765,142.7177156,3a,74.9y,144.77h,73.99t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOvSyJtiNh8Q1c62G_0mN3g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DOvSyJtiNh8Q1c62G_0mN3g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D340%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

image.thumb.png.1fc07bfe7ae82944f5aa143d85a60ffc.png

image.png.72bb4d3e483cbb377eaa832c96f062d6.png

I dropped into a totally random street in Yuzhno in Google Street View to have a look at it.
I like the contrast in imagery with the absolutely brutal looking block of flats, with half a tree missing, but when you zoom in on the crouching figure you see that she was scrawling 'I love you', in English on the road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.9803765,142.7177156,3a,74.9y,144.77h,73.99t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOvSyJtiNh8Q1c62G_0mN3g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DOvSyJtiNh8Q1c62G_0mN3g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D340%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
image.thumb.png.1fc07bfe7ae82944f5aa143d85a60ffc.png

image.png.72bb4d3e483cbb377eaa832c96f062d6.png

Yuzhno is more developed now by all accounts since my time there. They have a floodlit Ski resort which is exceptional which is used by hikers and mountain bikers alike in the summer.
Gagarin Park was our choice for Sunday libations and Shashlik in the day, but they now have a ban on drinking in public there so I imagine it won’t have the same atmosphere as it was during my stint. The winters can be brutal and I remember the eve of the LC Final against SEVCO (Glasgow Rangers back then) we all got a call to say not to leave our accommodation due to adverse weather warnings. 3 feet of snow fell over a 24 hour period but the local cooncil roads department worked tirelessly to get the roads cleared in jig time. Many good memories of my time there.

10 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

Yuzhno is more developed now by all accounts since my time there. They have a floodlit Ski resort which is exceptional which is used by hikers and mountain bikers alike in the summer.
Gagarin Park was our choice for Sunday libations and Shashlik in the day, but they now have a ban on drinking in public there so I imagine it won’t have the same atmosphere as it was during my stint. The winters can be brutal and I remember the eve of the LC Final against SEVCO (Glasgow Rangers back then) we all got a call to say not to leave our accommodation due to adverse weather warnings. 3 feet of snow fell over a 24 hour period but the local cooncil roads department worked tirelessly to get the roads cleared in jig time. Many good memories of my time there.

I had a wee look too.

I've posted some random links from West, North, South and East:-

North Yuzhno

West Yuzhno

East Yuzhno

South Yuzhno

Do you remember it looking like this?

Interestingly enough, for those who think Scotland has poverty, pick a random country on Google Earth and have a look around. It's quite sobering.

I had a wee look too.
I've posted some random links from West, North, South and East:-
North Yuzhno
West Yuzhno
East Yuzhno
South Yuzhno
Do you remember it looking like this?
Interestingly enough, for those who think Scotland has poverty, pick a random country on Google Earth and have a look around. It's quite sobering.

It wasn’t recommended that we went the other side of the railway line, that’s where a lot of the wooden houses were. I believe they’re all gone now. Another landmark I remember is the Japanese Museum, also a heavy Korean influence in Sakhalin.

https://www.rbth.com/arts/2015/05/23/japanese_legacy_lives_on_in_sakhalin_46291.html

Some of my colleagues started a Celtic SC and had a flag made. The logo on the flag was....... wait for it......”If Yuzhno The History”

On 8/15/2019 at 2:32 PM, HSS said:

It wasnt Outlander that was being filmed.Its an STV Drama called Elizabeth is Missing.

I knew I recognised that title...

Took a long time for the penny to drop (which is ironic considering what the original book is a lot about...) but I staggered over something that reminded me.

great book, lovely writing...

Elizabeth is Missing.   By Emma Healey

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/08/elizabeth-is-missing-review-emma-healey-impressive-debut-dementia

And Ross Lafferty posted today on twitter... the new high street shop...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ross_Lafferty/status/1163141203879243776/photo/1

Edited by antrin

7 hours ago, antrin said:

I knew I recognised that title...

Took a long time for the penny to drop (which is ironic considering what the original book is a lot about...) but I staggered over something that reminded me.

great book, lovely writing...

Elizabeth is Missing.   By Emma Healey

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/08/elizabeth-is-missing-review-emma-healey-impressive-debut-dementia

And Ross Lafferty posted today on twitter... the new high street shop...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ross_Lafferty/status/1163141203879243776/photo/1

Interesting. Any relation to ........?