Andy Murray - Decisions?

faraway saint

Murray loses overnight to, well, somebody called, wait for it, Tennys Sandgren, world number 80.

His first singles match, on his recent return, was against Gasquet, world number 56.

While last nights match was close, 7-6, 7-5, I'm not sure where he goes from here.

He's lost umpteen doubles matches and 2 from 2 singles matches.

He seems to be free from pain, the most important thing long term.

He, IMO, needs a half decent run in the singles soon or, surely, he must consider his future on the circuit. 

When he gets his first win he will be fine I remember when Nadal .Djokivic and Federer came back from a bad long term injury they all struggled at first getting beat from guys they wouldn't normally see in there way .Andy's going to play next week in Mallorca .

I've watched some of the doubles play and a bit of his match vs Gasquet. He's obviously still some way off but I still kinda think of this as almost the extension of the rehabilitation period given the severity of the surgery that he's had done.

It's great news that he's pain free but it looks like he's still physically lacking compared to his previous style. So whether that's physical, mental (not trusting his body), age,  or a combination of all of those things - who knows.

What is clear is that he's currently not getting around the court the same, has lost some of his power and struggling on serve. 

In fairness, world 56 (Gasquet - who was on good form last week) and 80 (Sandgren) is a pretty high standard considering where Murray is coming back from. 

I think he's going about it in exactly the right way. Starting with doubles and now testing himself with a couple of tough singles matches. He's now talking about playing some lower level tournies which will hopefully give him the opportunity to compete, play more matches and hopefully get winning again. 

It's all building towards next year starting with the Australian Open from what I can see. If he isn't anywhere close to being competitive there I suspect he'll plod through towards a farewell at Wimbledon. 

56 minutes ago, Maboza said:

I've watched some of the doubles play and a bit of his match vs Gasquet. He's obviously still some way off but I still kinda think of this as almost the extension of the rehabilitation period given the severity of the surgery that he's had done.

It's great news that he's pain free but it looks like he's still physically lacking compared to his previous style. So whether that's physical, mental (not trusting his body), age,  or a combination of all of those things - who knows.

What is clear is that he's currently not getting around the court the same, has lost some of his power and struggling on serve. 

In fairness, world 56 (Gasquet - who was on good form last week) and 80 (Sandgren) is a pretty high standard considering where Murray is coming back from. 

I think he's going about it in exactly the right way. Starting with doubles and now testing himself with a couple of tough singles matches. He's now talking about playing some lower level tournies which will hopefully give him the opportunity to compete, play more matches and hopefully get winning again. 

It's all building towards next year starting with the Australian Open from what I can see. If he isn't anywhere close to being competitive there I suspect he'll plod through towards a farewell at Wimbledon. 

As his physical state was such a major part of his game it is fairly "normal" that he's where he is.

Federer is a different animal, floats around the court whereas Murray & Nadal rely on their physicality to a fairly high degree.

I agree the Australian is probably his first attempt at a slam and we;ll get a better idea after that.