Jump to content

BuddieinEK

Value For Money

Recommended Posts

How does Bazil find the time to become an expert in so many subjects?

I use a pretty decent CRM tool, it includes an effective mass email system and can integrate with a reliable polling app. It would cost 25 quid per month for what SMISA needs.

This looks very nice with all the bells and whistles, but it hardly seems necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

How does Bazil find the time to become an expert in so many subjects?

I use a pretty decent CRM tool, it includes an effective mass email system and can integrate with a reliable polling app. It would cost 25 quid per month for what SMISA needs.

This looks very nice with all the bells and whistles, but it hardly seems necessary.

His reply will be along the lines of...........................

"Where did I say I was an expert" 

"Prove it"

Etc etc etc. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

I covered some of the benefits in buying off the shelf packages in page one. 

What people need to consider is there will be far bigger companies & organisations with larger numbers of people using this software. Why don’t they just do it the way you suggest? The reality is these companies exist because there is big marketplace for them. 

Issue/ event management, outage accountability & updates in line with advancements in cyber security are a few of the main reasons why companies choose to go down this path instead of custom made. 

‘Why buy off the shelf’ is a question that would have been considered & answered we have to assume. 

Edit: it’s also somewhat of a myth that this kind of software can be designed quickly with relative ease. We use similar in my work (also used this one on reviews) and it took 1,000s of hours & millions of dollars to develop & make secure & compliant. Maintaining it also costs the company a pretty penny. 

I didn't ask for a lecture on software development. I know exactly what I am talking about. There are plenty of free open source content management systems out there which come with good security features. You don't need to create one from scratch. Not a single person suggested that.

I asked a very specific question. Do you have an answer? If not kindly stop polluting the thread.

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kemp said:

How does Bazil find the time to become an expert in so many subjects?

I use a pretty decent CRM tool, it includes an effective mass email system and can integrate with a reliable polling app. It would cost 25 quid per month for what SMISA needs.

This looks very nice with all the bells and whistles, but it hardly seems necessary.

This Is similar to a system I use daily and part of my job involves assurance work on a number of other systems like this. I know the costs, I know the pros I know the limitations. But I’m no expert on ‘many subjects’ on here. Tbh I find a lot are more common sense. 

Let me ask you (and others) some questions then. Who are the target audience for these systems? Who should be buying them? Is it just a matter of fact there are cheaper options in paying someone to build a custom build system & the thousands of companies using these systems with likely many IT experts employed know less than a few guys on BAWA with I imagine little exposure to this specific system? 

Note I’m trying to be balanced here, have a conversation on it not a fight. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chalky1 said:

Totally agree and that was why I mentioned it, worked in places where new system comes onboard with the promise that it can do this and do that. System gets launched only to discover that the package you paid for only allows you to do certain things

Exactly.

I am not a SMISA member and this is the sort of thing which concerns me when you have people making decisions outside their area of expertise without asking for help.

A few of you know software well enough and one of you would be justified in asking whether they considered a Joomla based website with a freelancer setting it up. Total cost would have been £300 for the website, £1000 max for the development and a generous fan to provide a bit of minor maintenance from time to time.

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I didn't ask for a lecture on software development. I know exactly what I am talking about. There are plenty of free open source content management systems out there which come with good security features. You don't need to create one from scratch. Not a single person suggested that.

I asked a very specific question. Do you have an answer? If not kindly stop polluting the thread.

You asked ‘why buy an off the shelf package’ I gave several reasons why they might. Never a claim they were fact, just a potential answer to your question 

As I said, these software programs are aimed at a certain group of people, why not SMISA? 

I don’t know for fact that this is a better option than custom built & neither do you. I am merely speculating to why they went down this route like you’re speculating (as you often do) the negative regarding a SMISA decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

His reply will be along the lines of...........................

"Where did I say I was an expert" 

"Prove it"

Etc etc etc. :wink:

Actually on this subject I’d probably say I was an expert. 🤫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

 

I don’t know for fact that this is a better option than custom built & neither do you

Which is why I was ASKING questions.

Why you felt the need to answer if you genuinely didn't know is beyond me.

Just say you don't know and leave it at that.

 

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

T Is it just a matter of fact there are cheaper options in paying someone to build a custom build system & the thousands of companies using these systems with likely many IT experts employed know less than a few guys on BAWA with I imagine little exposure to this specific system

 

This sort of patronising nonsense is why people can't stand you on here.

I guarantee you that this forum has highly knowledgeable software development people, some of them running their own businesses. Working for an IT company does not make you more knowledgeable than those who work for themselves. What a stupid thing to say.

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Actually on this subject I’d probably say I was an expert. 🤫

If you don't know about customising things like Joomla CMS's then I say you were barely competent to comment let alone call yourself an expert.

Now if someone on here ACTUALLY knows whether using something like Joomla was considered and discarded then I'd be happy to hear about it.

 

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Which is why I was ASKING questions.

Why you felt the need to answer if you genuinely didn't know is beyond me.

Just say you don't know and leave it at that.

 

So you asked that question on a discussion forum, knowing all the reasons I quoted expecting someone to be able to give you an informed answer & that no one would come back with speculation? Behave. 

Again your go to. Ask a question then when you get a response ‘that’s not what I meant’ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This sort of patronising nonsense is why people can't stand you on here.

I guarantee you that this forum has highly knowledgeable software development people, some of them running their own businesses. Working for an IT company does not make you more knowledgeable than those who work for themselves.

Everyone with exposure to the system put your hands up.

Edit: that’s a bit like saying someone that owns 100 farms knows more about milking a cow than a diary farmer. Don’t be so ridiculous! 

Yet again I’ve tried to have a balanced conversation backing up a subject to do with BTB & get absolutely hounded by those that as sure as the sun will rise post a negative spin on absolutely anything to do with SMISA

Edited by bazil85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bazil85 said:

Everyone with exposure to the system put your hands up.

 

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

So you asked that question on a discussion forum, knowing all the reasons I quoted expecting someone to be able to give you an informed answer & that no one would come back with speculation? Behave. 

Again your go to. Ask a question then when you get a response ‘that’s not what I meant’ 

I am not arguing with you.

Period.

If anyone else has actual answers I'd be glad to hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If you don't know about customising things like Joomla CMS's then I say you were barely competent to comment.

So are custom build software solutions always the best option in this scenario & SMISA have made a mistake or are you just making a negative assumption based on our shared knowledge on this specific subject?

You’re one of the most negative, miserable contributors on here, it’s shocking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

 

I am not arguing with you.

Period.

If anyone else has actual answers I'd be glad to hear it.

That’s fine, we can wait till the next SMISA update for your negative POV. Let’s be honest, that’s absolutely the way it’ll go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

His reply will be along the lines of...........................

"Where did I say I was an expert" 

"Prove it"

Etc etc etc. :wink:

Additional posts so far include the usual tactic of making up completely imaginary arguments up and then arguing against them to the death. Some crackers today already :-

1) He infers someone that alternatives would need to replicate the exact system SMISA have bought when that is not necessary and nobody argued for this.

2) That any "customised solution" would need to be hand-coded from scratch when nobody suggested this and all that would be required would be a little customisation of a free Content Management Systems with a few extensions installed.

3) That asking questions is "negative".

4) That if you don't have detailed knowledge of this specific hugely expensive software solution then you can't have a credible view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the main question about whether the recurring expenditure of £300 every month is value for money...

The original SMISA email said...

"The system will be used initially just for membership administration purposes, but once we are sure that it has bedded in and members have registered on it, we will begin to explore the additional functionality that it offers (e.g. ballots and events), and gradually roll these out to members."

So initially just for membership admin services...

Then, having committed to spending the equivalent of twenty five membership fees, they will "explore" the additional functionality.

Now... Had I ever submitted a business plan or grant application like that... ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Additional posts so far include the usual tactic of making up completely imaginary arguments up and then arguing against them to the death. Some crackers today already :-

1) He infers someone that alternatives would need to replicate the exact system SMISA have bought when that is not necessary and nobody argued for this.

2) That any "customised solution" would need to be hand-coded from scratch when nobody suggested this and all that would be required would be a little customisation of a free Content Management Systems with a few extensions installed.

3) That asking questions is "negative".

4) That if you don't have detailed knowledge of this specific hugely expensive software solution then you can't have a credible view.

The reality is, this thread has followed the exact same pattern as previous communications from SMISA.

A handful of contributors put a negative spin on it, yourself included. Then get defensive at me for pointing out said negativity.

Up there with death & taxes. 

Your numbers above are your go to technique on obscure commenting, predictable. 

Edited by bazil85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Additional posts so far include the usual tactic of making up completely imaginary arguments up and then arguing against them to the death. Some crackers today already :-
1) He infers someone that alternatives would need to replicate the exact system SMISA have bought when that is not necessary and nobody argued for this.
2) That any "customised solution" would need to be hand-coded from scratch when nobody suggested this and all that would be required would be a little customisation of a free Content Management Systems with a few extensions installed.
3) That asking questions is "negative".
4) That if you don't have detailed knowledge of this specific hugely expensive software solution then you can't have a credible view.
The reality is, this thread has followed the exact same pattern as previous communications from SMISA.

A handful of contributors dare to simply ask questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the face of it, in the age of cloud based applications I would tend to agree that £300 a month to maintain and manage a database of just 1200 members seems on the expensive side.

Sure the platform does a lot more than just CRM though and I’m also sure it’s been well thought out so look forward to seeing it in action.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...