Value For Money

BuddieinEK

47 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

No one is making anyone engage with me & BAWA is quiet enough these days that it doesn’t get in the way of anyone just reading the posts & the points they want to. Mine were absolutely reasonable & positive on this subject before a few of the usual turned it into a negative, a running theme against positivity regarding SMISA. 

People saying they’ve stayed away because of me... where’s my violin? 

Lord knows ( thats me) i like to stick to my guns on certain issues. But you come across (if yòu dont mind me saying) as a tit!

is your name Bazil or Brazil? Because you suck the oxygen out of anything just like a rampaging Amazon jungle wildfire.

39 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Lord knows ( thats me) i like to stick to my guns on certain issues. But you come across (if yòu dont mind me saying) as a tit!

is your name Bazil or Brazil? Because you suck the oxygen out of anything just like a rampaging Amazon jungle wildfire.

Your guns are more often than not wrong or miss-direction, this has been shown many times. I'm sure absolutely no one was surprised you were one of the first to come out with the negativity in a potential policy breach on this subject. 

... That wasn't one of your best, in fact it makes absolutely no sense. 

3 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Your guns are more often than not wrong or miss-direction, this has been shown many times. I'm sure absolutely no one was surprised you were one of the first to come out with the negativity in a potential policy breach on this subject. 

... That wasn't one of your best, in fact it makes absolutely no sense. 

There you go.

IMG_1849.JPG

On 8/21/2019 at 10:02 PM, oaksoft said:

Additional posts so far include the usual tactic of making up completely imaginary arguments up and then arguing against them to the death. Some crackers today already :-

1) He infers someone that alternatives would need to replicate the exact system SMISA have bought when that is not necessary and nobody argued for this.

2) That any "customised solution" would need to be hand-coded from scratch when nobody suggested this and all that would be required would be a little customisation of a free Content Management Systems with a few extensions installed.

3) That asking questions is "negative".

4) That if you don't have detailed knowledge of this specific hugely expensive software solution then you can't have a credible view.

He is trying to own the libs, yet another piece of information that he has found on the web, looked it up for 5 minutes and persuaded himself that he can pass himself off as an expert.  

Last year, he was arguing that "contract law" was an actual piece of legislation passed by parliament

On 8/22/2019 at 9:22 AM, bazil85 said:

Div put up a very well balanced comment and caveated his response with the system having much more capability than we’ll initially use it for & that he’s sure it’s been thought out. It’s always good practice to test a system & not go 0 to 60 reliance with its capability. 

Your last sentence in the third paragraph is where the main problem in that point sits. :lol:

correct not negative not moaning just an opinion & not a claim they haven’t followed process. very fair. 

Baz, I pay my SMISA subs in order to facilitate the purchase of the club, and make small positive contributions to the club and community through the 2 pound spend.

Thats it, nothing more.

What is the additional work we will be doing that requires this additional capability? Is the role of SMISA changing somehow?

I don't recall being consulted on it, as I don't recall being consulted on 7k being spent this year.

I do also wonder why in a global marketplace we are using some company from Glasgow for this.

It just looks like someone has had their ear bent by a salesman!

I am not entirely against an investment in something like this, but it needs to do a hell of a lot more than manage the database and run some polls!

15 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

He is trying to own the libs, yet another piece of information that he has found on the web, looked it up for 5 minutes and persuaded himself that he can pass himself off as an expert.  

Last year, he was arguing that "contract law" was an actual piece of legislation passed by parliament

Your simplistic comments about me just show your lack of understanding on subjects I'm afraid.

From memory you didn't think any legislation existed to tackle contract conflicts or different interpretation related to contract law whatsoever, this is simply wrong. I never once said 'contract law' was a legislatively passed law though, spin away. 

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Baz, I pay my SMISA subs in order to facilitate the purchase of the club, and make small positive contributions to the club and community through the 2 pound spend.

Thats it, nothing more.

What is the additional work we will be doing that requires this additional capability? Is the role of SMISA changing somehow?

I don't recall being consulted on it, as I don't recall being consulted on 7k being spent this year.

Probably best to ask someone on the committee. I don't imagine the money will come from the £12/£25 subs though, no indication of that in the communication anyway. SMISA do raise funds separately from BTB though, possibly through these means it's getting funded? 

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Thats it, nothing more.

Me neither, but if you comment on anything you are accused of being negative.

Think we've to just pay up and shut up.

Just now, bazil85 said:

Probably best to ask someone on the committee. I don't imagine the money will come from the £12/£25 subs though, no indication of that in the communication anyway. SMISA do raise funds separately from BTB though, possibly through these means it's getting funded? 

Right, you don't know.

Glad we are making some progress here! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Right, you don't know.

Glad we are making some progress here! :lol:

I never claimed I did. I'm not sure what people don't understand about this, I think my comments are very clear :lol:.

If someone wants to point out where I've made a fact claim on these subjects that I've missed, feel free. Opinions are what opinions are, based on all the information in the release it doesn't appear at all likely that they have 1. Used BTB funds 2. broken any governed rules. Is that 100% fact? We don't know & here for me lies the issue with some fans always assuming the negative. 

7 minutes ago, barrhead saint said:

Me neither, but if you comment on anything you are accused of being negative.

Think we've to just pay up and shut up.

https://www.smisa.net/news-archive/278-very-connect-an-introduction

Having read the above again the argument seems to be members can update their own contact details, rather than contact one of the smisa team who has to update email contacts on several systems. There is also the repeat argument that an organisation like SMISA can't be run of an Excel sheet.

Excel or Google Sheets are very powerful, and more than good enough to manage the smisa database. A programme like Zapier can connect the spreadsheet to whatever external apps we also need to use. Basically, there are workarounds that could have been put in place to overcome whatever admin challenges were in place.

It's a shame SMISA didn't reach out to their own membership regarding the challenges they were facing before bringing in an expensive external company.

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Having read the above again the argument seems to be members can update their own contact details, rather than contact one of the smisa team who has to update email contacts on several systems. There is also the repeat argument that an organisation like SMISA can't be run of an Excel sheet.

Excel or Google Sheets are very powerful, and more than good enough to manage the smisa database. A programme like Zapier can connect the spreadsheet to whatever external apps we also need to use. Basically, there are workarounds that could have been put in place to overcome whatever admin challenges were in place.

It's a shame SMISA didn't reach out to their own membership regarding the challenges they were facing before bringing in an expensive external company.

Do you know there are more cost effective & secure workarounds that could be used for fact? :rolleyes:

excel is far from suitable & productive for the activity they describe in the communication. I actually do know that for fact. 

21 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Do you know there are more cost effective & secure workarounds that could be used for fact? :rolleyes:

excel is far from suitable & productive for the activity they describe in the communication. I actually do know that for fact. 

You know hee haw.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

I can add to that. A Python script of less than 100 lines of code could have been written in about an hour to open those Excel databases and sent an email to everyone within seconds. I'm sitting with a skeleton version right now which I got from a book on the language.

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

To do what exactly?

1. Excel spreadsheets for the core membership data
  2. Mailchimp for sending the regular update and ballot emails,
  3. Election Runner for the director elections and £2 Spend ballots
  4. Eventbrite for registrations for things like Manager Q&A nights
  5. and of course Gocardless where members initially set up their direct debits

Each of these apart from Eventbrite have separate member email address lists which need to be individually updated for all changes to member data and status, and then reconciled frequently to ensure consistency.

All this background administration is a considerable workload for the SMISA committee.

Unless you think this is a lie? 

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I can add to that. A Python script of less than 100 lines of code could have been written in about an hour to open those Excel databases and sent an email to everyone within seconds. I'm sitting with a skeleton version right now which I got from a book on the language.

Can you name the kind of company format or usage that would get practical use out of VeryConnect or do you think there is absolutely no basis for anyone paying money for this kind of system? 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:
  1. Excel spreadsheets for the core membership data
  2. Mailchimp for sending the regular update and ballot emails,
  3. Election Runner for the director elections and £2 Spend ballots
  4. Eventbrite for registrations for things like Manager Q&A nights
  5. and of course Gocardless where members initially set up their direct debits

Each of these apart from Eventbrite have separate member email address lists which need to be individually updated for all changes to member data and status, and then reconciled frequently to ensure consistency.

All this background administration is a considerable workload for the SMISA committee.

Unless you think this is a lie? 

And how many hours are we typically talking about each week?

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Can you name the kind of company format or usage that would get practical use out of VeryConnect or do you think there is absolutely no basis for anyone paying money for this kind of system? 

I am not interested in discussing that. It's not relevant. Someone else might be up for it but I'd prefer to focus on the discussion at hand. Once you start de-focussing you end up all over the place and that seriously tests my patience.

Edited by oaksoft

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And how many hours are we typically talking about each week?

They didn't say anymore than considerable.

You say I miss points on why people get annoyed at me. Can you at least see my POV on people including yourself that scrutinise every single element of communications to try & find negativity? That expect us to be given all information no matter how minute, full evidence backing & a breakdown on the most trivial of points (highlighted very clearly on the honorary membership thread)?