Holiday in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

whydowebother

Would appreciate a wee bit of help please

Obviously I will use ‘Twatnav’ but need some help please

Coming to Scotland twice on holiday for 8 days ( I only know Scotland by football grounds ) staying at Newton Stewart in a wee hot tub lodge with the family

Q) I don’t want to use twatnav until i get closer to destination - So can i get to Southwaite service station first without using it or is a turn for Newton Stewart before that ?

Q) My kids want to visit a Castle that you can actually walk inside to see - suggestions ?

Q) Probably daft question , but the want to go to loch ness/loch Lomond - with that being so large , is there somewhere i should head for specifically ( that has cafe/shop:toilets/car park ) ? As in a specific area ?

Cheers

1 minute ago, whydowebother said:

Coming to Scotland twice on holiday for 8 days ( I only know Scotland by football grounds ) staying at Newton Stewart in a wee hot tub lodge with the family

Q) I don’t want to use twatnav until i get closer to destination - So can i get to Southwaite service station first with using it or is a turn for Newton Stewart before that ?

Q) My kids want to visit a Castle that you can actually walk inside to see - suggestions ?

Q) Probably daft question , but the want to go to loch ness/loch Lomond - with that being so large , is there somewhere i should head for specifically ( that has cafe/shop:toilets/car park ) ? As in a specific area ?

Cheers

Southwaite is in England so the turn off for Newton Stewart is after that coming North.

It's the A75 to Dumfries you want and it's a straight road to Newton Stewart (quite a few miles).

The A75 turn off is at Gretna on the A74(M). It's the first junction after the Welcome to Scotland sign.

Southwaite is in England so the turn off for Newton Stewart is after that coming North.

It's the A75 to Dumfries you want and it's a straight road to Newton Stewart (quite a few miles).

The A75 turn off is at Gretna on the A74(M). It's the first junction after the Welcome to Scotland sign.

Oaky , thank you [emoji4]

After leaving Paisley when I was 17 - I’ve only ever been to all stadiums, never actually visited for a Holiday

We are going to the game on Sunday while up but leaving my Mrs & Daughter in Braehead

Cheers

23 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Q) I don’t want to use twatnav until i get closer to destination - So can i get to Southwaite service station first without using it or is a turn for Newton Stewart before that ?

Cheers

You can visit Edinburgh, Stirling, Blair Castle, Culzean or Inveraray, but for a bit of everything and sheer drama, Dunrobin Castle at Golspie in Sutherland is well worth the effort. The original central keep dates back to 1400, and has been added to throughout the centuries, and what you see now is a cross between a French chateau and a German fairy castle.

Dramatic tree-lined avenue entrance, stunning building both inside and out, with fantastic elevated vista out to the North Sea, amazing gardens, museum, falconry displays, etc.

About an hour north of Inverness on the A9 but has it all. Well worth the trek. 

You can visit Edinburgh, Stirling, Blair Castle, Culzean or Inveraray, but for a bit of everything and sheer drama, Dunrobin Castle at Golspie in Sutherland is well worth the effort. The original central keep dates back to 1400, and has been added to throughout the centuries, and what you see now is a cross between a French chateau and a German fairy castle.
Dramatic tree-lined avenue entrance, stunning building both inside and out, with fantastic elevated vista out to the North Sea, amazing gardens, museum, falconry displays, etc.
About an hour north of Inverness on the A9 but has it all. Well worth the trek. 

Wasn’t expecting such excellent responses

This is exactly what I was hoping for

Definitely will pick one or two from your suggestions

Thank you [emoji4]

I know it's not Scotland but, as you will be passing it anyway, Carlisle has a castle. Only been to it once, years ago, so can't really remember much about it. May be worth a wee stop off on your way back if you have time.

As I can't remember much about it, it might be shite though. default_smile.png

Will google all these suggestions tomorrow and choose which 2 we will visit

Need some help with the Loch Ness thing if anyone can help please

18 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Need some help with the Loch Ness thing if anyone can help please

A82 runs the length of its Northbank (see what I've done?). Fort Augustus is a quaint town at the West end of the loch from where you can take Loch Cruises. Urquhart Castle is halfway (15 miles) along the A82 between there and Inverness.

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

1 hour ago, whydowebother said:

Wasn’t expecting such excellent responses

This is exactly what I was hoping for

Definitely will pick one or two from your suggestions

Thank you emoji4.png

See this is the nice new improved forum. We all respect and love each other now:heart Have a good hol

1 hour ago, whydowebother said:

That’s stunning emoji4.png

We are using 4 days to travel while up in Scotland so not an issue how far

Thank you

If  your only spending 4 days travelling, take in Culzean Castle, Loch Lomond, Stirling Castle (+Wallace Monument close by) and there's Doune castle, also in Stirling area.

That way you'll not be stretching yourself.  Anything further North which have been suggested are great, but time consuming. Enjoy whatever you do and drive safely.   

8 hours ago, whydowebother said:

I don’t think any of us on here know anyone in Arbroath this week emoji3.png

He’ll be in Stirling having brunch with Fricky

I can guarantee you a warm welcome, smokies, lots of good pubs with excellent pool tables and a cracking big telly to watch as much sport as possible. :lol:

Oh, we have an auld abbey, something to do with signing something about something. :rolleyes:

Edited by faraway saint

9 hours ago, DougJamie said:

See this is the nice new improved forum. We all respect and love each other now:heart Have a good hol

It seems like only yesterday you were dumped in the sin bin for violating this principle.

So heart warming to see you fully reformed and mansplaining how other humans, who didn't find themselves in the sin bin, should behave towards each other. :P

One of the best holidays we have had was to Skye for a couple of day's then onto North Uist, South Uist then over to Eriskay, Barra from there ferry to Oban catching another ferry to Mull. Had been in Mull a few times but never drove round the island so did it this time which took a few good hours but well worth it the scenery is spectacular. Mull has everything castles, birds of pray, amazing sea life all easily available. The road trip Loch Lomond to Lochness is also spectacular. If you do this trip stop off at Lochleven Seafood restaurant its highly recommend down a single track road it sits looking onto the loch and mountains even if you dont like seafood there is none seafood menu.  

For a castle that wont take up a lot of time, Blackness Castle sits on the south side of the Firth of Forth about 5 miles west of South 

Queensferry. Easy to get to from the M9 and a good view up the river to the 3 bridges.   

Spoiler

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It seems like only yesterday you were dumped in the sin bin for violating this principle.

So heart warming to see you fully reformed and mansplaining how other humans, who didn't find themselves in the sin bin, should behave towards each other. :P

Not like you to be wrong but think you have mistaken identity. At no point was i binned bar one week in 2016. If that seems yesterday to you i will have some of what your having...But as i love you i forgive you:heart

Edited by DougJamie

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Not like you to be wrong but think you have mistaken identity. At no point was i binned bar one week in 2016. If that seems yesterday to you i will have some of what your having...But as i love you i forgive you:heart

:lol:

"I've never been convicted except that time"..........................a well used phrase by people that have been jailed. :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, whydowebother said:

Cheers

Dumfries and Galloway a lovely area to explore

Alnwick and Bamburgh near Berwick are great castles that they often get used for movies

LochLomond park at Balloch or Luss

Further up North feck that midgie seasonwith all this damp weather

Oaky , thank you [emoji4]

After leaving Paisley when I was 17 - I’ve only ever been to all stadiums, never actually visited for a Holiday

We are going to the game on Sunday while up but leaving my Mrs & Daughter in Braehead
Cheers
Just mind NOT to leave your credit card with them [emoji16] Looked like the weather will be kind to yous as well [emoji106]