Holiday in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

whydowebother

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, sally02 said:

You can visit Edinburgh, Stirling, Blair Castle, Culzean or Inveraray, but for a bit of everything and sheer drama, Dunrobin Castle at Golspie in Sutherland is well worth the effort. The original central keep dates back to 1400, and has been added to throughout the centuries, and what you see now is a cross between a French chateau and a German fairy castle.

Dramatic tree-lined avenue entrance, stunning building both inside and out, with fantastic elevated vista out to the North Sea, amazing gardens, museum, falconry displays, etc.

About an hour north of Inverness on the A9 but has it all. Well worth the trek. 

There's a St Mirren Cemetery not too far from Dunrobin.

As you head north on the A19, turn left at The Mound onto the Lairg road. St Mirren' cemetery is at Rogart.

A bit too far for a day trip from Newton Stewart but if up that way, Dunrobin Castle at Golspie is well worth popping into.

1 hour ago, Kombibuddie said:

There's a St Mirren Cemetery not too far from Dunrobin.

As you head north on the A19, turn left at The Mound onto the Lairg road. St Mirren' cemetery is at Rogart.

A bit too far for a day trip from Newton Stewart but if up that way, Dunrobin Castle at Golspie is well worth popping into.

A fun day out for all the family. :rolleyes:

On 8/21/2019 at 11:22 PM, pod said:

If  your only spending 4 days travelling, take in Culzean Castle, Loch Lomond, Stirling Castle (+Wallace Monument close by) and there's Doune castle, also in Stirling area.

That way you'll not be stretching yourself.  Anything further North which have been suggested are great, but time consuming. Enjoy whatever you do and drive safely.   

South West Scotland is a lovely area., great scenery. There are castles in the area. From close to Stranraer you can take a ferry to Northern Ireland and visit the Titanic centre. Culzean Castle is closest. Eisenhower stayed there. Glen Trool is a beautiful area. Loch Lomond is doable in a couple of hours. Balloch has shops etc. Stirling has the Castle, Scene of the Battle of Bannockburn and the Wallace Monument. People also visit Doune Castle and nearby Deanston Distillery. A number of Outlander, Monty Python and other film locations around there. Enjoy your break. 

Southwaite is in England so the turn off for Newton Stewart is after that coming North.
It's the A75 to Dumfries you want and it's a straight road to Newton Stewart (quite a few miles).
The A75 turn off is at Gretna on the A74(M). It's the first junction after the Welcome to Scotland sign.

Is there an easier route ? Seriously, like you said one straight road & the view on coast road is stunning.

Started Newton Stewart , nice wee place , had a wee trip to a what seems a secret beach you pass on way in on A75 at Mossyard.

Next was a trip to our first castle at Caerlaverock , was a good wee trip aa we head away from starting point.

Sunday? Paisley via Braehead , really enjoyed the game ( truly not disappointed to of been involved in three 1-0 games winning 1 out of thos fixtures. Beaten? Yes, but looking harder to break down than last season against strong opposition.

Off to Loch Lomond tomorrow, not sure what to put in to sat nav ?

Want shortest journey from Paisley but hopefully a wee cafe/car park when we there. Any advice from anyone welcome as the following day going to track down another castle.

Oh, apart from the obvious, is there anywhere apart from Edinburgh where we can see pipers ?

Cheers to all who offered advice, it’s working out well [emoji4]

Loch Lomond Shores and Balloch for shortest. 

Another decent option to make a day of it is head to Luss and take a return boat trip to Balmaha on the other side of the loch. There's a couple of different boats that run about five times a day each way, and lets you see Balmaha without having to drive around the other side of the loch.

Loch Lomond Shores and Balloch for shortest. 
Another decent option to make a day of it is head to Luss and take a return boat trip to Balmaha on the other side of the loch. There's a couple of different boats that run about five times a day each way, and lets you see Balmaha without having to drive around the other side of the loch.

Going with your options tomorrow [emoji4]

Thank you

Currently based for work in Dumbarton, so if you see a building on the right hand side that looks like a post war Russian prison camp. Gies a wave. [emoji23]

Just back from Loch Lomond, we stopped in Paisley to get a bit to eat, we obviously went through Dumbarton ( seen the prison camp [emoji2] ) actually, I say ‘obviously’ I had no idea where it was / how to get there etc until you guys all helped out, so cheers

Sounds odd, but having left Paisley at 17 , I only know Scotland by football grounds, it’s simply stunning driving through it.

Oaky , FFS! , I’ve never had a cross word with you [emoji2] uncalled for recommendation

There was a piper a loch Lomond actually

We walked over to Balloch to chippy after being there.

Need another Castle to visit tomorrow

12 hours ago, whydowebother said:

Just back from Loch Lomond, we stopped in Paisley to get a bit to eat, we obviously went through Dumbarton ( seen the prison camp emoji2.png ) actually, I say ‘obviously’ I had no idea where it was / how to get there etc until you guys all helped out, so cheers

Sounds odd, but having left Paisley at 17 , I only know Scotland by football grounds, it’s simply stunning driving through it.

Oaky , FFS! , I’ve never had a cross word with you emoji2.png uncalled for recommendation

Most visited are Edinburgh and Stirling. I suggest Stirling and then you can visit the Wallace Monument and Doune Castle just 5 to 10 minutes away. 

Edited by St.Ricky

On 8/27/2019 at 9:21 PM, whydowebother said:

Just back from Loch Lomond, we stopped in Paisley to get a bit to eat, we obviously went through Dumbarton ( seen the prison camp emoji2.png ) actually, I say ‘obviously’ I had no idea where it was / how to get there etc until you guys all helped out, so cheers

Oaky , FFS! , I’ve never had a cross word with you emoji2.png uncalled for recommendation

A lot has changed in 50 years. :wink:

• 1 year later...

Seen this earlier, shame, we're got a week booked in lodges very close to this later this summer.

Totally gone, a big attraction in that area. :(

It'll be rebuilt soon. 

Firefighters at the scene of the fire at the Scottish Crannog Centre.

The Scottish Crannog Centre roundhouse near Kenmore appears to have been all but destroyed by fire.

The wooden building – created as a replica of an Iron Age water dwelling on Loch Tay – was consumed by flames late on Friday evening in what was described as a “devastating” blow to the local community.

• 1 year later...

I don’t know how many people are taking staycations in Scotland but the number of overseas visitors in Stirling appears to be back to pre pandemic levels going by the number of people using languages other than English. Mostly European.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:35 AM, Rascal said:

I don’t know how many people are taking staycations in Scotland but the number of overseas visitors in Stirling appears to be back to pre pandemic levels going by the number of people using languages other than English. Mostly European.

6 hours ago, Rascal said:

Going by how busy the city is. Lots are staycationing whilst the number of foreign tourists is rising quickly.

Well I never. :lol:

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Well I never. :lol:

Indeed. I’m sure the City might even welcome yourself one day. A big Castle and a big Tower you can visit. Lots of city centre pubs and eating places. English spoken and folks from Arbroath don’t need a visa. There might even be a job for you since you are obviously keen to mention and promote our fair city (not Perth).

Edited by Rascal

• 1 year later...