Appropriate language in sport - anything goes?

antrin

I'm watching the British  Athletic Championships in Birmingham.

I've just seen a series of High Jumpers clearing the bar - mostly to their own surprise and satisfaction, with accompanying roars of delight!

The final one was extra exuberant, with a yell which resounded round the quite empty stadium and into the mics...

I thought, "Hmmm.  That one's Scots." as he bellowed, "Come f**kin oooon!"

Alan Smith, Champion last year, and I think British champion again.  And yes, a Scot.

From Paisley.  :)

54 minutes ago, antrin said:

I've just seen a series of High Jumpers clearing the bar - mostly to their own surprise and satisfaction, with accompanying roars of delight!

The final one was extra exuberant, with a yell which resounded round the quite empty stadium and into the mics...

Alan Smith, Champion last year, and I think British champion again.  And yes, a Scot.

Ouch. 

No need for agricultural language. 

But understandable. 

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Ouch. 

No need for agricultural language. 

But understandable. 

Here we go, he's starting up the Grandpa Walton act again.

4 hours ago, antrin said:

St Mirren TV feel the need to apologise about 3 times per game with the whole "Oh my. Oh my. Well we do apologise if you heard some rather unsavoury words there." routine. f**king pointless. Someone needs to tell the game isnt going out on the BBC and anyone watching will be able to handle hearing Willie Collumn being called a useless f**king prick.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Here we go, he's starting up the Grandpa Walton act again.

St Mirren TV feel the need to apologise about 3 times per game with the whole "Oh my. Oh my. Well we do apologise if you heard some rather unsavoury words there." routine. f**king pointless. Someone needs to tell the game isnt going out on the BBC and anyone watching will be able to handle hearing Willie Collumn being called a useless f**king prick.

Wonder if they’ll be apologising every 5 minutes tomorrow for the unsavoury nonsense we are likely to hear from the zombies 🙄

6 hours ago, antrin said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel we are entering an age where swear words are just commonplace, and it’s only a select few of the older generation who still find it all “offensive”.

Who exactly decided they were “bad words” anyway? 

11 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel we are entering an age where swear words are just commonplace, and it’s only a select few of the older generation who still find it all “offensive”.

Who exactly decided they were “bad words” anyway? 

You may have a point CS. 

16 minutes ago, antrin said:

Try saying that in brief, Curt Anglo Saxon without the multisyllabic latin shite.

:)

I've noted that you are no slouch with vocabulary and am confident that you understand the point perfectly. 

More simply, there are occasions when the odd sweary word ensures that the full meaning and strength of feeling. Too often and it reduces it. Fine balance imo

Edited by St.Ricky

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I've noted that you are no slouch with vocabulary and am confident that you understand the point perfectly. 

More simply, there are occasions when the odd sweaty word ensures that the full meaning and strength of feeling. Too often and it reduces it. Fine balance imo

Do you mean...

PERSPIRATION.!??,  :o

jings!

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Monika El said:

Yes it's true. Moreover, if you do a manual translation of the text into any languages of the world, then the abusive words can be replaced with simple words of daily use, because not all languages have abusive words. As a translator who has been working for more than 5 years on the service https://thewordpoint.com/services/translation-service/legal already experienced in this. I specialize in legal translations, and I often have to read the original text from a client using words that are not in dictionaries.

I'm beginning to suspect you might not be a real St Mirren fan Monika.

I just can't put my finger on it......