Livingston v St Mirren 31 August 2019

St.Ricky

4 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

How can you say the signings have been decent? Most u will never have heard of and the results don't back up your statement...up-front so far we look to have nobody who can put ball in the net...no decent deliveries into box from wingers and mistakes at back today from defenders....this is must win games against these sort of teams..so far pumped out cup and 3 points from 12 is a fecking god awful start to season...

Results dont back up the statement.  We have played hibs rangers and Aberdeen all top 5 teams consistently and livi ( who we perennially struggle against) are you saying you honestly expected anything more than 3 from 12 out of those 4 games if so thats deluded. Just out of interest do you ever post positively about our team. You slate players left right and centre given our standing who would you have rather we had in their place this team is still gelling they will get there and apparently its not just the players fault you believe its also goodys fault as well as he is no good but interviewed well. Again who would you have had take over the reins ? 

3 minutes ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

Results dont back up the statement.  We have played hibs rangers and Aberdeen all top 5 teams consistently and livi ( who we perennially struggle against) are you saying you honestly expected anything more than 3 from 12 out of those 4 games if so thats deluded. Just out of interest do you ever post positively about our team. You slate players left right and centre given our standing who would you have rather we had in their place this team is still gelling they will get there and apparently its not just the players fault you believe its also goodys fault as well as he is no good but interviewed well. Again who would you have had take over the reins ? 

Danny Lennon

Painful defeat today. Some of it self inflicted and some down to poor final ball and finishing.
Thought McAllister looked another level compared to everyone else on the park in the second half. Just didn’t fall for him, but some of his passing and movement was superb.
Felt sorry for McLoughlan, think he struggled with the ridiculous surface. Was getting the ball caught under his feet, causing a few mistakes, but he didn’t hide and kept offering for the ball.
Obika looked clumsy and was dominated by their defenders especially in the air, but hopefully he’ll improve with game time.
Our fullbacks got in some good attacking positions, but their delivery wasn’t great.
Magennis took his goal brilliantly, but the goals we lost were cheap.
Livvy bossed the midfield first half, but Saints had the better of the second half and Livvy couldn’t really have complained if we snatched a draw.
What about that ref??? He was absolutely honking. Lost control of the game and is the reason I’ve lost my voice tonight. Gave us nothing and constantly got conned by Livvy’s antics, especially the left back that came on and feigned the head injury.
Still early days, but already starting to see the same pattern of Livvy stretching away from us. Hopefully we can get a big result against County to turn thins around.
A wee thank you to Stephen McGinn. Made my son’s day when he posed for a photo with him outside after the game. Seems a real gent and ended our frustrating day on a real positive.

Livi are a settled well organised side and are ahead of us because of they havent had to build new team after new team. This was always going to be a difficult fixture for a number of reasons especially the pitch. We came up short today. What is obvious is our lack of instinctive or poaching striker. I would have pushed the boat out for Shankland or even Nelson of Raith. We need a goalscorer as our second half play was crying out for. 

Think I’m watching a different game at times when I read all the negativity and criticism of players. 

The team as a whole were honking in the 1st half but came out straight from the whistle in the 2nd half and played better, putting Livi under pressure from the off. 

The 2 goals were poor mistakes but it happens. 

We worked some great positions in the second half - especially down the right hand side. McAllister was excellent and McGinn worked well in tandem but just needs a better final ball at times. 

McLoughlin had a couple of mistakes and was slow on the ball at times but never hid. At least 2 or 3 times he hit 50-60 yard switches of play with absolute accuracy. Let’s not underestimate that! 

Some are also criticising the strikers. I know it’s a frustrating afternoon but nobody provided them with clear cut chances. I thought Obika did much better 2nd half when he started getting balls into feet with runners going off of him. Junior came on and always looked for the ball, showed strength and a few good runs in the final 3rd. Give them a chance to settle in and get going ffs! 

Ultimately not enough efforts on goal but on another day we could’ve had a point from the positions that we worked. 

Not all doom and gloom and we’ll be back! 

1 hour ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

Danny Lennon..Gus McPherson...both proven at premier level...

Edited by gstretchuk

9 hours ago, Ethan said:

Livi are a settled well organised side and are ahead of us because of they havent had to build new team after new team. This was always going to be a difficult fixture for a number of reasons especially the pitch. We came up short today. What is obvious is our lack of instinctive or poaching striker. I would have pushed the boat out for Shankland or even Nelson of Raith. We need a goalscorer as our second half play was crying out for. 

Livi did have to build a new team as they lost a few players in the summer

They just don't change their system and bring in players to suit this

Reminds me of Wimbledon of the 80s and 90s

Real game of two halves for us yesterday. Team was very poor in the first half. Looked like JG's tactic was the same one he used against Rangers - defend solidly and try to catch the other team on the break. Worryingly, that didn't seem to change after Livi's first goal when it was obvious we would need to attack more to get something from the game.

Complete turnaround in the second half when we attacked from the off and had some excellent moves. However we struggled to put the ball in the net and only scored thanks to a piece of magic from the captain.

I agree with the criticism of the pitch and the ref. In particular, the ref was very poor, missed a number of fouls by Livi in the first half and a decent shout for a penalty in the second half.

Also agree that our team needs time to settle. Maybe the strikers will find the target better when they're away from the artificial pitch. However, decent results in the Highlands next week and against Accies after that are now badly needed. Four points (or more) from those six would be good.

Just watched JG's post-match interview and it's the first time I've disagreed with his reading of a game. He says they started slowly in the first half. That's un understatement. It seemed to me that they weren't very interested in going forward, especially in the first 25 minutes. When they had the ball it seemed to go backward as often as forward. Even after Livi scored, that seemed to be the pattern.

Jim also said that fifty-fifty balls went against them. I saw it a bit differently. In the first half Livi players seemed more eager to get to the ball and our lads were beaten to it or muscled off it on many occasions. They also dithered on the ball when they had possession, seemingly unwilling to get into the final third and put it into the goalmouth.

Despite all that, it was a very different second half, so presumably JG sorted out the attitude at half-time, something that shows he can get a reaction from the side when it's needed. Let's hope they can start a bit livelier against Ross County and Accies and get some more points on the board.

10 hours ago, Tommy said:

That was more a rubber pitch rather than a plastic one emoji107.png We really need to be more street wise when we play teams like them, instead we just end up just losing our discipline and the game.

The pitch is poor and the bounce and run of the ball are both unpredictable. 

Having the other team lose their rythym by knocking them out of their stride is an old tactic and one I would hope we avoid falling for in future. 

Unpopular opinion but Kyle Mcallister is a shitebag, hides in games, can’t beat a man, doesn’t track back, and tries to shoot when it’s easier to pass. 

So much hype and not been one bit impressed (even last season)

Livi are livi, absolute brutal side, play to their strengths. We need to man up big time. Also referee was an absolute clown. 

12 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Danny Lennon..Gus McPherson...both proven at premier level...

Both were proven in their day not now.  And for the rest of the points given you continually berate our players who would you want in their positions. Did YOU expect to have more than 3 points from 12 given who we have played in our first 4 games?

Both were proven in their day not now.  And for the rest of the points given you continually berate our players who would you want in their positions. Did YOU expect to have more than 3 points from 12 given who we have played in our first 4 games?

Leave him alone he’s only wanting attention even though his excuse is that’s his opinion. He’s never got a good word to say about the team or management.

7 hours ago, pondsman said:

Just watched JG's post-match interview and it's the first time I've disagreed with his reading of a game. He says they started slowly in the first half. That's un understatement. It seemed to me that they weren't very interested in going forward, especially in the first 25 minutes. When they had the ball it seemed to go backward as often as forward. Even after Livi scored, that seemed to be the pattern.

Jim also said that fifty-fifty balls went against them. I saw it a bit differently. In the first half Livi players seemed more eager to get to the ball and our lads were beaten to it or muscled off it on many occasions. They also dithered on the ball when they had possession, seemingly unwilling to get into the final third and put it into the goalmouth.

Despite all that, it was a very different second half, so presumably JG sorted out the attitude at half-time, something that shows he can get a reaction from the side when it's needed. Let's hope they can start a bit livelier against Ross County and Accies and get some more points on the board.

1 point out of 6 is what i believe we will get as squad imo is poor..

Edited by gstretchuk

6 hours ago, mattman said:

Unpopular opinion but Kyle Mcallister is a shitebag, hides in games, can’t beat a man, doesn’t track back, and tries to shoot when it’s easier to pass. 

Livi are livi, absolute brutal side, play to their strengths. We need to man up big time. Also referee was an absolute clown. 

Yip..he was pish yesterday...most have blinkers on regarding him...sub at best...cant last a game and has far better impact as sub...

5 hours ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

Yes..i don't have a losers attitude or mentality...i would go into every game expecting to win it...to think 3 out of 12 is acceptable stinks of being a defeatist...i would expect 12 points from 12....

JG is only just in door but surely someone like Stephen Mcginn, Mackenzie or Langfield should have pre warned the gaffer Livingston have played the same style for 4 years and come up with a plan to deal with it.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

JG is only just in door but surely someone like Stephen Mcginn, Mackenzie or Langfield should have pre warned the gaffer Livingston have played the same style for 4 years and come up with a plan to deal with it.

Surely Goodwin knows how Livingston play, as every supporter in Scotland does? :blink:

Where do you think Goodwin was before he came in this door, Outer Mongolia? :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

7 hours ago, mattman said:

Game changer who commits players and creates space for others. 

Couldn’t disagree with you more.