Friday Evening Events in Govan

Russian Saint

At a time where sectarianism has been highlighted again in Scottish football, is it any wonder when sectarian marches are allowed on the streets of Scotland.

It may be said that the “Irish Unity” march wasn’t sectarian, but the authorities must have known this was a potential powder keg.

What that march has to do with Scotland I’ve no idea.

It’s time all of these marches are banned in Scotland, Irish loyalist (Orange Order, Apprentice Boys) and republican equivalents. They have no place in today’s society IMO.

6 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

At a time where sectarianism has been highlighted again in Scottish football, is it any wonder when sectarian marches are allowed on the streets of Scotland.

It may be said that the “Irish Unity” march wasn’t sectarian, but the authorities must have known this was a potential powder keg.

It’s time all of these marches are banned in Scotland, Irish loyalist (Orange Order, Apprentice Boys) and republican equivalents. They have no place in today’s society IMO.

I don't like sectarianism in any form. 

I do have a dilemma though when it comes to maintaining the right to free assembly which is important in a democracy and selectively withdrawing it from groups. 

The present divided Ireland was a construct brought about by years of emigration  to the North of Ireland by firstly, English land owners and later Scots joined by a common factor and that was that they were not Catholic. I find it not surprising in the least that the people of Ireland, and those in the wider diaspora, would advocate for reunification. On the other hand the export of Orangeism from the North of Ireland found fertile ground as a wave of Irish immigrants arrived to boost the workforce in Scotland. I agree that the tensions created have lasted long enough and are past their sell by date for most of us. 

People in the UK and Scotland have views on a number of political issues throughout the world, many caused by the division of other parts of the world by the UK and other big powers which overrode local realities to create states which would better suit our interests.

Its now bite us in the bum time in many of these. Brexit is again highlighting the Irish question. 

Whilst I agree in principle, how can you LEGALLY ban them but not Independence or Gay Pride marches?

8 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:
8 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

Whilst I agree in principle, how can you LEGALLY ban them but not Independence or Gay Pride marches?

Surely if there is a history of troubles at those matches or any other kind, that should be enough to ban them in the future. 

They could be told that they are allowed to have just one march per year, not multiple.

If you really want to piss them off, tell them they can have one march, in December (no, not a march in March), limit it to 20 people, 1/2 a mile, 20 minutes between 2am and 2:30am, no music (due to the time of day) etc.
Reminds me of the spitting image sketch...

F.W. de Klerk... Stating to the masses that the whites and the blacks will share the beaches 50-50!

He then adds...

"WE will have the beaches when the tide is OUT... "

26 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Very easy to find the ring leaders as they plastered all their intentions all over social media

Sat behind one on Shieldhall Road yesterday. His Private Reg number spells out his nickname. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Surely if there is a history of troubles at those matches or any other kind, that should be enough to ban them in the future. 

You would have to distinguish whether the trouble was caused by the marchers or those who want to deny them the right to march. A big can of worms. Quite simply. The law, quite correctly, allows for peaceful demonstrations. The Irish reunification march may have underlying religious traits but that is less clear than the orange walk. I suspect the authorities would never deny their walks so it would be wrong to deny those demonstrating their support for one Ireland the right to assemble.

From the little interest I have in this, it looks as though the march was a permitted, peaceful one and that all trouble was initiated by those blocking the road to prevent its progress.

I guess those troublemakers would be miffed if anyone tried to block a lawful orange walk?

Its easy to distinguish the trouble makers, in this case.  A minority used to freedom of expression for their point of view is suddenly, understandably, feeling they are under threat. Their freedoms for sectarian expression have been eroded.

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

You would have to distinguish whether the trouble was caused by the marchers or those who want to deny them the right to march. A big can of worms. Quite simply. The law, quite correctly, allows for peaceful demonstrations. The Irish reunification march may have underlying religious traits but that is less clear than the orange walk. I suspect the authorities would never deny their walks so it would be wrong to deny those demonstrating their support for one Ireland the right to assemble.

Surely if they are demonstrating their right for one Ireland, they would have a better chance of getting what they want if the walk was in Ireland. 

For what its worth, my view is nobody should be matching/walking on the public roads. Have the demo etc in places like public parks so the general public and business can go about their normal stuff without the hassle road closures bring. 

18 hours ago, Tommy said:

Surely if they are demonstrating their right for one Ireland, they would have a better chance of getting what they want if the walk was in Ireland. 

For what its worth, my view is nobody should be matching/walking on the public roads. Have the demo etc in places like public parks so the general public and business can go about their normal stuff without the hassle road closures bring. 

I think the  word "public" is the important part of your post.

Edited by stlucifer

45 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I think the  word "public" is the important part of your post.

Fair comment but being there is better than the roads i reckon.

Needless to say, who was the idiot who give the ok for this, an Irish walk, in Govan on a Friday night, 2 days before a bigot game  :wacko: