Ross County v Saints, Sat 14th September

20 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I anticipated it being tight and one goal either way, but usually predict us to lose on these things, last thing I need is a defeat and loss of points 😂

I rarely bet on us but took a wee bit at 3/1 yesterday as I thought it was generous.

Turned out the bookies knew better. :thumbsdown

As has been posted elsewhere sub standard recruitment in the summer has left us struggling.

Goodwin is a good manager and I trust he will get the best out of what we have.

I hope to see Broadfoot, McGinn and Mullen start next week as a stronger spine of the team. A few players in the current line up are not up to the task.

8 minutes ago, Kemp said:

As has been posted elsewhere sub standard recruitment in the summer has left us struggling.

Goodwin is a good manager and I trust he will get the best out of what we have.

I hope to see Broadfoot, McGinn and Mullen start next week as a stronger spine of the team. A few players in the current line up are not up to the task.

Doubt any of them will start next week and rightly so !

Broadfoot only if McKenzie isn't fit

Edited by lenziebud

3 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I hope Goodwin tells Kirk Broadfoot to watch where the ball is instead of staring at whoever he is marking at corners or set pieces , it didn't work yesterday.

Defending in the last two matches is a complete joke. Lack of goal threat and chance taking is also poor. Just listened to Goodwin's summary of the match and couldn't agree more. I thought for large parts of the match yesterday we were the better side but not converting it into goals and giving away ridiculous goals at the other end. The second goal yesterday was criminal with seconds to play.

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

You are happy with what we have up front at present?

If Mullen is the option then yes. No I'm not happy with what we have up front at the moment either. New stikers and may take time to bed in etc but at the moment not good enough and needs to improve

Edited by lenziebud

2 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

If Mullen is the option then yes. No I'm not happy with what we have up front at the moment either. New stikers and may take time to bed in etc but at the moment not good enough and needs to improve

Mullen puts the ball in the net. These guys don't.

It's pretty clear who to start if we want to start picking up points.

4 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Defending in the last two matches is a complete joke. Lack of goal threat and chance taking is also poor. Just listened to Goodwin's summary of the match and couldn't agree more. I thought for large parts of the match yesterday we were the better side but not converting it into goals and giving away ridiculous goals at the other end. The second goal yesterday was criminal with seconds to play.

I agreed with his assessment too, we gave their players  too long to swing dangerous crosses in, the full back or midfielder on that side should have been better at stopping these crosses coming in, we really need to work on that. 

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

2 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

This part is utter nonsense by the way. I keep seeing it repeated around the forum.

Can someone point me in the direction of some statistical analysis that proves this theory that "new strikers need time to bed in"?

4 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:
20 minutes ago, Kemp said:
This part is utter nonsense by the way. I keep seeing it repeated around the forum.
Can someone point me in the direction of some statistical analysis that proves this theory that "new strikers need time to bed in"?

Billy Mehmet?

It took him about half a decade!

32 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:
48 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Billy Mehmet?

McCoist took 20 league games to score his first St Johnstone goal and 8 to score his first rangers goal.  

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I rarely bet on us but took a wee bit at 3/1 yesterday as I thought it was generous.

Turned out the bookies knew better. :thumbsdown

The last St Mirren related bet I had was against East Kilbride.

I had East Kilbride at 1.5 handicap on evens, a good choice 😂

52 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Mullen puts the ball in the net. These guys don't.

It's pretty clear who to start if we want to start picking up points.

Mullen is hardly prolific. 2 goals in over half a season in the Championship, while having the likes of Lewis Morgan and a high flying Cammy Smith for support. 6 league goals was as good as things got for us last season, and I know he spent time injured, but he still isn’t a frequent goal scorer.

If people are calling for Mullen to return over Obika and Morais, then f**k me these two must be shite. Ideally we need better than any of these guys including Mullen.

50 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Jamie Vardy. 4 goals in 26 Championship games for Leicester City. He was hardly profilic in his debut Prem season either.

If we are going this deep with the statistical analysis....
...Mark Yardley scored within a minute on his debut. Good strikers know the way to goal.
YOU asked for an example.
I didn't "dig deep", he sprung to mind!

Why ask for something then act all high and mighty if you get a direct answer to a direct question?

[emoji50][emoji850]

While I thank the above posters for the examples, I don't think just saying "Billy Mehmet" or "Ally McCoist" quite meets the criteria of a statistical analysis.

"Strikers take time to bed in" just seems such a glib and pointless phrase.

I agreed with his assessment too, we gave their players  too long to swing dangerous crosses in, the full back or midfielder on that side should have been better at stopping these crosses coming in, we really need to work on that. 

Can’t disagree with your point, however. I’m sure the management team also see this. Maybe it’s the way Goodwin sets up the team to play against the so called bigger teams against the so called lesser teams. We defended well against Hibs, Aberdeen and SEVCO but not against Livi and Ross County.
I agree that we have a problem scoring goals. I’ve watched all but yesterday’s league game on TV and I don’t believe the strikers are getting good service. Against the lesser teams I’d have McAllister and Durmus on from the start to give us width and pace and hopefully more of an attacking threat. When you have players like that running from the wings and beating opposition players, it then pulls their players out of position to cover, thus creating more space in the box for strikers. We seem to be happy to pass the ball around from the halfway line to the opponents 18 yard line thus congesting the final third. It’s just my thoughts and probably why I’m not a football manager 🤷🏼‍♂️

While I thank the above posters for the examples, I don't think just saying "Billy Mehmet" or "Ally McCoist" quite meets the criteria of a statistical analysis.
Lamhammer gave you stats!

Time of the month?
[emoji850][emoji12]

Guest TPAFKATS
Not sure that there is statistical analysis to prove that strikers do or don't need time to bed in. With this in mind, how many examples would you like?

I'm also not sure Mehmet counts as a striker either [emoji3]

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Not sure that there is statistical analysis to prove that strikers do or don't need time to bed in. With this in mind, how many examples would you like?

I'm also not sure Mehmet counts as a striker either emoji3.png

Mehmet was really a midfielder who was played up front because of his size.  All Gus ever seemed to want from him was to play with defenders on his back and hold the ball up (for no apparent reason as we rarely had anyone capable of arriving late and taking advantage).  He took an awful lot of stick from some quarters because he was willing to play however the manager asked.

2 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

Can’t disagree with your point, however. I’m sure the management team also see this. Maybe it’s the way Goodwin sets up the team to play against the so called bigger teams against the so called lesser teams. We defended well against Hibs, Aberdeen and SEVCO but not against Livi and Ross County.
I agree that we have a problem scoring goals. I’ve watched all but yesterday’s league game on TV and I don’t believe the strikers are getting good service. Against the lesser teams I’d have McAllister and Durmus on from the start to give us width and pace and hopefully more of an attacking threat. When you have players like that running from the wings and beating opposition players, it then pulls their players out of position to cover, thus creating more space in the box for strikers. We seem to be happy to pass the ball around from the halfway line to the opponents 18 yard line thus congesting the final third. It’s just my thoughts and probably why I’m not a football manager 🤷🏼‍♂️

Russian. I agree on the lack of service provided. Who is threading the ball through, curling it over or cutting it back from the byline?