Jump to content

cockles1987

St Mirren v Hamilton Accies, Saturday 21st September.

Recommended Posts

Here's what BBC are saying about our start to the season and the Accies game.

Quote

Must-win clash on the horizon for St Mirren

St Mirren fans can make a reasonable case for suggesting they've had a tough start to the season. Their first three league matches came against Hibernian, Aberdeen and Rangers. Then they travelled to two tough away venues in Livingston and Ross County. So far, Jim Goodwin's side have picked up just three points from a possible 15.

However, next weekend the Paisley side finally have a fixture that they really should be looking to take advantage of - Hamilton in Paisley. Although Brian Rice's side are no slouches, these home ties are where Goodwin's side need to start racking up points. If they can't, then they may really be in trouble.

Must win might be stretching it but we would've regarded draws against Livi & County as "decent to good" a draw against Accies would be acceptable but still only 1/9 points, a defeat would be 0/9 from the teams I expect to be our nearest rivals over the course of the season would be poor with games against middling clubs like Killie & Well etc. & Celtic to finish the first quarter.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, faraway saint said:

Yippee, another must win game.

 

 

16 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I honestly think we can win it, like you say, we really NEED to win these games, as we've lost the last two which we really should be taking something from if we are to stay up. 

Ah feck it, 6-0. :lol:

 

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Here's what BBC are saying about our start to the season and the Accies game.

Must win might be stretching it but we would've regarded draws against Livi & County as "decent to good" a draw against Accies would be acceptable but still only 1/9 points, a defeat would be 0/9 from the teams I expect to be our nearest rivals over the course of the season would be poor with games against middling clubs like Killie & Well etc. & Celtic to finish the first quarter.

Hardly startling reporting TBH. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Here's what BBC are saying about our start to the season and the Accies game.

Must win might be stretching it but we would've regarded draws against Livi & County as "decent to good" a draw against Accies would be acceptable but still only 1/9 points, a defeat would be 0/9 from the teams I expect to be our nearest rivals over the course of the season would be poor with games against middling clubs like Killie & Well etc. & Celtic to finish the first quarter.

Pretty fair summary. So far it is a season of what might have been. 

Against HIbs, Livvy (on our second half performance) and Ross County we were worth a draw..Not a win. 

The league up to 7th place is so tight that this is where these draws would have taken us. 

Obviously, we are where we are. So far we have one of the better goal differences in the bottom 6 so our much maligned defence haven't been doing a terrible job. We do need to average more goals For however. Maybe starting this Saturday? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last season I though the bottom teams were quite easily spotted, I hate to say we look like being the most obvious team that will be battling for survival.

Who we will be fighting doesn't seem very obvious.

I doubt Hearts and St Johnstone will be where they are at the moment.

Saturdays game against Hamilton could be a nervous affair. 

Again, work makes it unlikely I can make many, if any games, but the radio will be my source of information.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I thats right i support the old firm...fecking hate them...Saints v Hamilton, low crowd, no atmosphere, hoofball, no talent on show..absolute bore-fest!

Don’t go then, you really need to find something else to do on a Saturday coz obviously footballs not your thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Could i possibly be so bold as to ask you, who do you think will score for the Saints? We appear to have a non-scoring strike force, apart from K Macgennis can't really see goals coming from anywhere else on the park.

I think that both the new strikers will improve,they are still bonding with their team mates. Everyone wants/expects the new guys to be an instant success and unfortunately that doesn’t always happen, I think they’ll start scoring soon. Apart from that both Macgennis and MacAllister are capable. I hope one or both strikers get on the score sheet this Saturday, I think both are good players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think that both the new strikers will improve,they are still bonding with their team mates. Everyone wants/expects the new guys to be an instant success and unfortunately that doesn’t always happen, I think they’ll start scoring soon. Apart from that both Macgennis and MacAllister are capable. I hope one or both strikers get on the score sheet this Saturday, I think both are good players.

I also believe the new strikers, along with the other new faces, are good players and will prove to be great signings but obviously it’s taking longer than hoped for the new team to gel properly.

We must beat Accies this weekend, so I’d like to see Mullen start up front with Junior.
Durmus to start with McAlister to come off the bench.

Love to see Junior score and also see Obika come on as a sub to put the icing on the cake of a 4-0 victory.

(Please don’t wake me up yet!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4, really, 4 goals? :blink:

Amazingly, I also think that’s possible !

Need Danny Mullen to start though and Andreu to score (off the bench?) in the same way that Imrie always seems to score against us.

Accies will not be as defensive as they were against Celtic nor will they be as lucky. Still need us getting a few breaks from the officials too though.

It could happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 2:53 PM, faraway saint said:

I honestly think we can win it, like you say, we really NEED to win these games, as we've lost the last two which we really should be taking something from if we are to stay up. 

Ah feck it, 6-0. :lol:

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

4, really, 4 goals? :blink:

You said 6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:


Amazingly, I also think that’s possible !

Need Danny Mullen to start though and Andreu to score (off the bench?) in the same way that Imrie always seems to score against us.

Accies will not be as defensive as they were against Celtic nor will they be as lucky. Still need us getting a few breaks from the officials too though.

It could happen...

Keep believing. 

These are not always the prettiest of games to watch but are up there amongst those that are closely contested. Will be there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 1:52 PM, Long John Baldy said:

Last season I though the bottom teams were quite easily spotted, I hate to say we look like being the most obvious team that will be battling for survival.

Who we will be fighting doesn't seem very obvious.

I doubt Hearts and St Johnstone will be where they are at the moment.

Saturdays game against Hamilton could be a nervous affair. 

Again, work makes it unlikely I can make many, if any games, but the radio will be my source of information.

 

Roas County got lucky at home it should have been a draw. Will know better what Hamilton are all about on Saturday.  For me Goodwin has still to fine tune his best 11. Also feel the two new strikers will come good  hopefully this Saturday. We are at home on Saturday against a team we should easily compete with. As such I would like us to go the old fashioned way . right winger and a left winger. Kyle M move into the middle and Stephen McGinn brought back in with two strikers up front. Go for it an attacking formation. Goodwin said he wants us to play making the fans stand up out of their seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isnt it a bit funny posters calling for Mullen or S McGinn as our saviours, when both have been below average at this level in most games so far. Indeed the manager seems to not want them in the starting eleven, or even the bench in one case.

Rice will have his spoiling tactics well honed for this one. It will be a tight, turgid affair ending in a draw, or a one goal difference, with 2-1 the highest score.

that said i fully expect us ti put six past the manky accie bastards...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Roas County got lucky at home it should have been a draw. Will know better what Hamilton are all about on Saturday.  For me Goodwin has still to fine tune his best 11. Also feel the two new strikers will come good  hopefully this Saturday. We are at home on Saturday against a team we should easily compete with. As such I would like us to go the old fashioned way . right winger and a left winger. Kyle M move into the middle and Stephen McGinn brought back in with two strikers up front. Go for it an attacking formation. Goodwin said he wants us to play making the fans stand up out of their seats

Re the bit in bold... Stubbs achieved that last season, albeit with a lot of hatred being expressed, and queues to get out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...