Welcome back Kirk Broadfoot

Kirk was part of the first Saints team I started watching, and was one of my favourites to watch week in week out. His dedication to our survival after the PCA was signed was phenomenal, he never let us down.

I do worry though about giving a 35 year old a two year deal (if this is happening). Kirk is good but how soon will it be before he’s past it, or when the legs are gone? It could happen anytime now between him and GMack. Bairdy and McLoughlin will thrive from playing alongside either of those two, but if the two younger lads are out, then the lack of pace could be a major problem.

I loved the big lad, though my recollection of his play is as a left back...?  I know he did play CH for Saints and others.
a big, fit, committed defender is a good thing.
only mild concern now is... that I’ve heard he’s been lurking at Southwaite Services....
He played on the left of a back 3 group IIRC. We'd wingbacks on the outside of them for a number of games

14 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

Given McLoughlin's efforts on Saturday, this is reassuring. Loved big Kirkie the first time round and his song must be resurrected!

I remember him bursting onto the scene as a teenager scoring 2 excellent goals from outside the box at Somerset. I think he may have played midfield that day? Even after settling into being a centre-half he was partial to the odd marauding run through the midfield.

Gus talked him up as being one of the most committed players at the club. Would always stay behind after training when others were away home. No surprise he's had a good career, even managing a goal for Scotland.

I think he made his debut earlier than expected, which followed by him working his way into the first team in a more regular basis.

I remember that debut and thinking, this lads only 17/18, hes an absolute tank!

We were very fortunate that when he was at Hibs prior to us, the commute from Ayrshire was getting to much and he moved to us.

I had my doubts last night when i first heard the news due to his age, though if he has looked after himself, many pros have played to this age and beyond and done well.

18 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

Strikes me as a “meh” signing. Two year deal for a player who one of our rivals was happy to offload seems a bit generous. Would rather we had gone for Naismith. (Or Popescu, obviously).

It was Broadfoot who wanted to leave reading articles sounds like he could not play under him. He was still playing regular in the first team. 

21 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

Strikes me as a “meh” signing. Two year deal for a player who one of our rivals was happy to offload seems a bit generous. Would rather we had gone for Naismith. (Or Popescu, obviously).

Naismith is more of a full-back, something that we have cover on for that right side. He hasn't played centre half for some time. I'd also imagine his wages would have been a stumbling block. 

Popescu, well his agent ruined that one for him, by moving the goalposts on the contract. The club moved on quickly and that ship has probably sailed, unless an opportunity comes back in January, though it would command a fee at the end of the day.

Broadfoot knows the league, has bags of experience and he has been at the club before, working under Gus. Can also deputise at left back if required.

40 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

A player that played in 27 league games (would have likely been more if not for suspension) for a team that finished 3rd in the SP last season seems 'meh' to you? He's also likely been signed to challenge our center back pairing and won't be an automatic pick, great signing IMO.

He's done more at higher levels than any of the other three center backs. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Am I missing something or has this not actually been made official yet?
He hasn't been announced yet. No great rush though as he's a free agent so we can sign him outwith the transfer window.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:
Am I missing something or has this not actually been made official yet?

He hasn't been announced yet. No great rush though as he's a free agent so we can sign him outwith the transfer window.

Providing the contract is actually signed. 

21 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So Kirk is waiting for Killie to pay up his contract? How long has he got left on that?

Did you not read the news ? Both Kilmarnock and Kirk Broadfoot agreed the contract to be terminated. He is now a free agent to sign for whoever he likes.