Welcome back Kirk Broadfoot

50 minutes ago, bungle_1981 said:

Genuinely one of the most committed players I've seen in a St. Mirren shirt.

Hopefully he can still do the business, but certainly confident he will lead by example and the young players will look up to him. 

VMotherwell33.jpg

VMotherwell35.jpg

12/05/07 , one of the best matches l have ever been to , a phenomenal comeback in the face of adversity and of course , the Paisley Saint Mirren travelling support were immense as usual , I remember a journalist accusing us of 'sucking the ball into the net' , it certainly looked like that with Suttons first that hit the sand and then went through Meldrums legs . .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

On 9/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, faraway saint said:

Super Steven Thompson played, cough cough, till he was almost 38, not too many thought he was past it at 35. 

The Hawk's final two seasons were awful... the Tommy Craig / Gary Teale season where he was injured and in the huff and the Ian Murray / Alex Rae season. 5 league goals in his final two seasons.

While defenders can sometimes use their experience to overcome their advancing years I'm not sure signing Broadfoot on a 2 year deal is a great move for us. I thought Broadfoot had a few rushes of blood to the head in his time at Killie instead of using his experience he got caught out and lost his discipline. Given doubts about MacKenzie's injury record turning to a 35/ 36 year old Broadfoot might not be the best solution. I'd actually have been happier with Jack Baird as an option at centre half - he has some pace that Broadfoot and MacKenzie don't possess and has shown that with the right partner alongside him that he can be a decent bottom 6 defender.

I suspect Gus reckons that Kirk can still do a job at our level and might also be a good character around the dressing room.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The Hawk's final two seasons were awful... the Tommy Craig / Gary Teale season where he was injured and in the huff and the Ian Murray / Alex Rae season. 5 league goals in his final two seasons.

While defenders can sometimes use their experience to overcome their advancing years I'm not sure signing Broadfoot on a 2 year deal is a great move for us. I thought Broadfoot had a few rushes of blood to the head in his time at Killie instead of using his experience he got caught out and lost his discipline. Given doubts about MacKenzie's injury record turning to a 35/ 36 year old Broadfoot might not be the best solution. I'd actually have been happier with Jack Baird as an option at centre half - he has some pace that Broadfoot and MacKenzie don't possess and has shown that with the right partner alongside him that he can be a decent bottom 6 defender.

I suspect Gus reckons that Kirk can still do a job at our level and might also be a good character around the dressing room.

I was subtly indicating that as there were plenty who wouldn't hear of it, blinded by his previous seasons.

A wage thief was a term used, and one I wouldn't disagree with.

As for Broadfoot, time will tell but there's plenty players who, if there are in decent condition, both physically and mentally, can manage to play till 37.

Broadfoot never was blessed with mental prowess so one off the list FS. He is however a very strong committed defender who has been blessed so far in terms of fitness for an athlete for his age. He will add grit and determination across the back line and make us less likely to be bullied which I'd assume fits well with the JG philosophy. He has also stated his desire to finish his career "where it all began". I think he's a great addition for we are now.

17 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Well Anxious made him skipper , which KB was very good at . Wee Anxious' skipper appointmets afterwards were not so good. .

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I was subtly indicating that as there were plenty who wouldn't hear of it, blinded by his previous seasons.

A wage thief was a term used, and one I wouldn't disagree with.

As for Broadfoot, time will tell but there's plenty players who, if there are in decent condition, both physically and mentally, can manage to play till 37.

Agreed. It might be that Goodwin favours Broadfoot's experience and wants to add that to the mix. I don't think it's a particularly progressive signing. Gus probably knows what he is getting with Broadfoot so fair enough. 

12 minutes ago, scam75 said:
18 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:
We signed him from Hibs.

Yes correct but he never played first team for them I dont think, and was in bother with plod, and we took a chance, so in his eyes it's where it all began!

Aye according to wiki he never played any senior games for Hips. .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Broadfoot

Broadfoot, is a very good signing. Folk in general give him a hard time and label him a donkey for his time at Rangers before they died but he was never a full back in a million years and he suffered big time for that. He was always a very talented, ball playing centre half with a bit of skill about him and itvsurprised me that Rangers never even really gave him a shot there. 

He's kept himself in good condition and he's just turned 35 a few weeks ago so I don't think a two year deal poses a massive risk to be honest. He'd still be a strong contender to walk into the starting XI of any of the other teams you'd expect to end up in the bottom six.

2 hours ago, bungle_1981 said:

Genuinely one of the most committed players I've seen in a St. Mirren shirt.

Hopefully he can still do the business, but certainly confident he will lead by example and the young players will look up to him. 

VMotherwell33.jpg

VMotherwell35.jpg

Bus6.jpg

Celebration17.jpg

Celebration16.jpg

Notice something about the first picture at fir park. Not 1 person in that whole crowd has their mobile phone out to take a picture or video. Everyone is just in the moment of euphoria. Those were the days...........

I'm in it and on my phone!! I'd phoned my brother to tell him what was unfolding in front of me and couldn't get the words out. Was crying like a baby [emoji1787]

Notice something about the first picture at fir park. Not 1 person in that whole crowd has their mobile phone out to take a picture or video. Everyone is just in the moment of euphoria. Those were the days...........