Jack Baird joins Morton

mattman

I'm not really surprised, in one of the last games I saw Goody play for us the opposition midfielder ran through him and scored and he turned and berated the defence of whom I believe Bairdy was one, I had hoped that the talk of him being different as a manager than player was true but unless he is sending Bairdy out for game time I think ssdly that's the lad gone for good.

The only important negativity is from JG . He clearly thinks that Jacko is not the answer !
I'm not convinced.

Possibly with Broadfoot coming in (and most folks felt we needed cover at ch), and MacK / McLoughlin performing well to date, JG is looking forward to January when McLoughlin may return to his parent club.

At that point, he will have a match fit replacement ready to challenge rather than a rusty sub.

Maybe not, but I won't rule it out.

At 23 he's not young for a footballer, although I accept you could argue that CHs mature at a slightly older age. Unfortunately Baird seemed to need a calm head beside him, I guess JG was uncomfortable with the prospect of a Baird/McLoughlin central defensive pairing. .

On a different note the squad size seems small to me, on the OS it's 21 (discounting Baird who's still there) but Kellerman has to be considered as emergencies only and I'd still class Erhahon & MacPherson as being at development stage which only leaves 18 players I'd be happy to see start a game (7 one of those is currently injure) - never a dull moment supporting Saints.

Edited by Bud the Baker

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

At 23 he's not young for a footballer, although I accept you could argue that for CH mature at a slightly older age. Unfortunately Baird seemed to need a calm head beside him, I guess JG was uncomfortable with the prospect of a Baird/McLoughlin central defensive pairing. .

On a different note the squad size seems small to me, on the OS it's 21 (discounting Baird who's still there) but Kellerman has to be considered as emergencies only and I'd still class Erhahon & MacPherson as being at development stage which only leaves 18 players I'd be happy to see start a game (7 one of those is currently injure) - never a dull moment supporting Saints.

Correct me if I am wrong bud but is there not still in place a rule about 2 youngsters must be named in the match day squad? 

Guest TPAFKATS
Who knows?
Morton were on the verge of announcing him as a signing last night, no news since then... pehaps Kirk is wating for Killie to pay up his contract before he can go somewhere else.
Don't be such a tit man.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
Who knows?
Morton were on the verge of announcing him as a signing last night, no news since then... pehaps Kirk is wating for Killie to pay up his contract before he can go somewhere else.

Don't be such a tit man.

I'm afraid that ship sailed a long, long time ago.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

It's blatantly obvious from this move that JG doesn't think that Baird is good enough for the top league.

I agree and I'm 100% behind JG on this, JR thought the same.

Honest player and excellent professional but not good enough if we are going to climb the table. 

Tough decisions make good managers

I hope he goes out and proves himself still a young age still a lot to come from this lad. 

Get what you’re saying but can’t keep saying he’s only young, he’s had plenty games at St Mirren but had never really held down his position when other decent CB’s have came to the club. Good luck to him gives him games time & it’s only short a time loan. See how it goes after that.

It's not complicated, Jack Baird will need to learn basic passing skills to get a game. JG wants to play a fast counter attacking game. That would be difficult if every pass your centre back plays is directly back to the opposition. 

Best of luck to Jack and hopefully he comes back a better player.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

It's not complicated, Jack Baird will need to learn basic passing skills to get a game. JG wants to play a fast counter attacking game. That would be difficult if every pass your centre back plays is directly back to the opposition. 

Best of luck to Jack and hopefully he comes back a better player.

Yes because that has been evident during his spell as manager so far, not!

16 hours ago, lenziebud said:

I agree and I'm 100% behind JG on this, JR thought the same.

Honest player and excellent professional but not good enough if we are going to climb the table. 

Tough decisions make good managers

So why did Jack Ross hand Baird a contract extension once we were certainties for promotion (other than JR having a record for being frivolous with the St Mirren budget?)

7 hours ago, ged62 said:

Get what you’re saying but can’t keep saying he’s only young, he’s had plenty games at St Mirren but had never really held down his position when other decent CB’s have came to the club. Good luck to him gives him games time & it’s only short a time loan. See how it goes after that.

Jack Baird's league appearances for St Mirren:

2014-5 (The Tommy Craig / Gary Teale relegation season): 8

2015-6 (The Ian Murray / Alex Rae Championship season): 31

2016-7 (The Alex Rae / Jack Ross 'Great Escape I' season): 25

2017-8 (The Jack Ross Promotion Skoosh Season): 31

2018-9 (The Alan Stubbs / Oran Kearney 'Great Escape II' Season): 34

Jack's central defensive partners during the last 5 seasons: Ellis Plummer, Marc McAusland, Viktor Genev, Jim Goodwin, Andy Webster, Gary Irvine, Ben Gordon, Gary MacKenzie, Harry Davis, Gregor Buchanan, Jamie McCart, Cole Kpekawa, Josh Heaton, Alfie Jones, Mihai Popescu.

I make that around 15 other central defensive partners over 5 seasons - most of whom weren't good enough for the level required. Jack's appearance record suggests that apart from when Harry Davis and Gary MacKenzie were both fit he has been regarded as a starting XI defender for the last 4 seasons. He has played under 9 managers during his time with the 1st team.

20 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

At 23 he's not young for a footballer, although I accept you could argue that CHs mature at a slightly older age. Unfortunately Baird seemed to need a calm head beside him, I guess JG was uncomfortable with the prospect of a Baird/McLoughlin central defensive pairing. .

When your 60 trust me 23 is young. 

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Jack Baird's league appearances for St Mirren:

2014-5 (The Tommy Craig / Gary Teale relegation season): 8

2015-6 (The Ian Murray / Alex Rae Championship season): 31

2016-7 (The Alex Rae / Jack Ross 'Great Escape I' season): 25

2017-8 (The Jack Ross Promotion Skoosh Season): 31

2018-9 (The Alan Stubbs / Oran Kearney 'Great Escape II' Season): 34

Jack's central defensive partners during the last 5 seasons: Ellis Plummer, Marc McAusland, Viktor Genev, Jim Goodwin, Andy Webster, Gary Irvine, Ben Gordon, Gary MacKenzie, Harry Davis, Gregor Buchanan, Jamie McCart, Cole Kpekawa, Josh Heaton, Alfie Jones, Mihai Popescu.

I make that around 15 other central defensive partners over 5 seasons - most of whom weren't good enough for the level required. Jack's appearance record suggests that apart from when Harry Davis and Gary MacKenzie were both fit he has been regarded as a starting XI defender for the last 4 seasons. He has played under 9 managers during his time with the 1st team.

I am with you on this Dibbles.

MacK and Kirky are hardly the future - both good players though in the short term.

I watched McLoughlin be culpable for both our goals against Livi and find it hard to believe Bairdy is away..

I can only think it is about bringing in some money from his loan and to keep him playing every week... He will play again in the Premier League - whether it is with us or otherwise. I think the cover he got from our midfield earlier in the season was atrocious and he seems to have been hung out to dry or JG wants a different kind of player... I think McLoughlin is a temporary fix. So at the moment Baird is away until McLoughlin goes back...

30 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

MacK and Kirky are hardly the future - both good players though in the short term.

I watched McLoughlin be culpable for both our goals against Livi and find it hard to believe Bairdy is away..

I can only think it is about bringing in some money from his loan and to keep him playing every week... He will play again in the Premier League - whether it is with us or otherwise. I think the cover he got from our midfield earlier in the season was atrocious and he seems to have been hung out to dry or JG wants a different kind of player... I think McLoughlin is a temporary fix. So at the moment Baird is away until McLoughlin goes back...

He wasn't alone in that!!

6 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

So why did Jack Ross hand Baird a contract extension once we were certainties for promotion (other than JR having a record for being frivolous with the St Mirren budget?)

Because he was a good back up center back at the time and would probably have been fourth choice.  There is no way that JR was going with Jack Baird as his first choice pairing. 

For JG getting Broadfoot makes it an easy decision

If we are going to move forward as a club then Jack Baird is not the answer. Doubt any other Premiership club will employ him.

Edited by lenziebud

4 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Both will do for this season, I'd imagine JG will be planning ahead on this. 

McLoughlin is a better player than Baird. 

Doubt Baird will be back.

Edited by lenziebud