Jack Baird joins Morton

mattman

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

Because he was a good back up center back at the time and would probably have been fourth choice.  There is no way that JR was going with Jack Baird as his first choice pairing. 

For JG getting Broadfoot makes it an easy decision

If we are going to move forward as a club then Jack Baird is not the answer. Doubt any other Premiership club will employ him.

Perhaps it says more about Jack Ross dishing out contract extensions to players he didn't rate than it says about Jack Baird?

Going forward, Broadfoot has just turned 35, and Gary MacKenzie is 34 next month (and has had injury problems in recent seasons).

Jack Baird was given contract extensions by Gary Teale (May 2015), Jack Ross (May 2017), Jack Ross again  (January 2018 - when we were looking certainties for promotion giving Baird a deal until the end of our 1st season back in the premiership), and Oran Kearney (January 2019 - tying Baird to the club until summer 2021).

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Perhaps it says more about Jack Ross dishing out contract extensions to players he didn't rate than it says about Jack Baird?

Going forward, Broadfoot has just turned 35, and Gary MacKenzie is 34 next month (and has had injury problems in recent seasons).

Jack Baird was given contract extensions by Gary Teale (May 2015), Jack Ross (May 2017), Jack Ross again  (January 2018 - when we were looking certainties for promotion giving Baird a deal until the end of our 1st season back in the premiership), and Oran Kearney (January 2019 - tying Baird to the club until summer 2021).

Correct and JG wants to build a better team than all those managers had, hence no Baird ! 

We were in play off's last year which is where you get if you have center backs of Jack Baird's level in the Premiership.

Jack Baird IMO won't be back in the Premiership again with any club. At 23 if he was good enough there would be plenty of takers, he isn't.

Broadfoot and McKenzie are far better players than Baird and so is McLoughlin, so Baird needs to go on loan to get game time. I expect at the end of the season and in Jan also we will bring in other center backs. Baird won't be back unless we get a bad run of injuries.

Personally I think Goodwin is a better judge of a player than Kearney as well as a better overall manager but time will tell on that.

Edited by lenziebud

For me Baird is an alright old fashioned centre half. He puts his body on the line, is tough in the tackle and not great with the ball at his feet. I do think he has a career above Mortons level. I think he can do a job for us in the future.

Do I think he will achieve what Kirk Broadfoot has? probably not.

Could he do what Jason Naismith and Sean Kelly have done? Yes I think he could.

Jack Baird's league appearances for St Mirren:
2014-5 (The Tommy Craig / Gary Teale relegation season): 8
2015-6 (The Ian Murray / Alex Rae Championship season): 31
2016-7 (The Alex Rae / Jack Ross 'Great Escape I' season): 25
2017-8 (The Jack Ross Promotion Skoosh Season): 31
2018-9 (The Alan Stubbs / Oran Kearney 'Great Escape II' Season): 34
Jack's central defensive partners during the last 5 seasons: Ellis Plummer, Marc McAusland, Viktor Genev, Jim Goodwin, Andy Webster, Gary Irvine, Ben Gordon, Gary MacKenzie, Harry Davis, Gregor Buchanan, Jamie McCart, Cole Kpekawa, Josh Heaton, Alfie Jones, Mihai Popescu.
I make that around 15 other central defensive partners over 5 seasons - most of whom weren't good enough for the level required. Jack's appearance record suggests that apart from when Harry Davis and Gary MacKenzie were both fit he has been regarded as a starting XI defender for the last 4 seasons. He has played under 9 managers during his time with the 1st team.

For what it's worth I like Bairdy.

For me Baird is an alright old fashioned centre half. He puts his body on the line, is tough in the tackle and not great with the ball at his feet. I do think he has a career above Mortons level. I think he can do a job for us in the future.

22 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Both will do for this season, I'd imagine JG will be planning ahead on this. 

McLoughlin is a better player than Baird. 

Doubt Baird will be back.

We differ in our opinions and that is fine... but I suspect Baird will stay fit, not sure MACK and Kirky will, but injuries can happen to anyone...just that MACK does not have a great track record and Kirky is getting on a bit and more likely than the younger Bairdy… IF either gets a long term injury, you think Bairdy won't be recalled?

McLoughlin cost us 2 goals against Livi. He has been really decent in the other games, but I am not convinced he is better than Bairdy. However, it looks like JG thought so when bringing him in - and no matter what we think JG decides who plays and who does not... only time will tell... :turtle

3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

We differ in our opinions and that is fine... but I suspect Baird will stay fit, not sure MACK and Kirky will, but injuries can happen to anyone...just that MACK does not have a great track record and Kirky is getting on a bit and more likely than the younger Bairdy… IF either gets a long term injury, you think Bairdy won't be recalled?

McLoughlin cost us 2 goals against Livi. He has been really decent in the other games, but I am not convinced he is better than Bairdy. However, it looks like JG thought so when bringing him in - and no matter what we think JG decides who plays and who does not... only time will tell... :turtle

I think Baird may be recalled if we get a long term injury before January otherwise not and I don't think he'll be back after Jan. Think we might get McLoughlin for the season also.

On 9/4/2019 at 11:41 PM, Hambud said:

What have Naismith and Kelly did? Have i missed something...Kelly was a very limited ability footballer...

Baird is a straight forward CH that gets stronger each season. In addition he has that rarest of qualities in a CH pace. I think he'll be back in the Premiership for someone. I don't think us not loaning him to Premiership rival is any measure of who would be happy to pick him up.  For most of the the last four seasons he's been first pick for us. 

3 hours ago, insaintee said:

Baird is a straight forward CH that gets stronger each season. In addition he has that rarest of qualities in a CH pace. I think he'll be back in the Premiership for someone. I don't think us not loaning him to Premiership rival is any measure of who would be happy to pick him up.  For most of the the last four seasons he's been first pick forh us. 

I hope that , that someone is us. Baird is underestimated the best years have still to come. Baird has fight in his belly a future leader.  

Guest TPAFKATS

Jack is a much better player than Sean.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:03 PM, Sweeper07 said:
On 9/4/2019 at 7:53 PM, lenziebud said:

Both will do for this season, I'd imagine JG will be planning ahead on this. 

McLoughlin is a better player than Baird. 

Doubt Baird will be back.

I think McLaughlin has potentially more quality than Baird; but is at the moment  (very much like Baird was a season or two ago) naive at times and gets caught out, I would also agree Baird MAY not reach Kirks career level..................... but I love a grafter and he is certainly that, when he was playing with Popescue he was sooooooo much more reliable, ergo the answer is to pair him with quality,  problem solved . Next question? ☺️

9 hours ago, Hambud said:
On 9/6/2019 at 11:06 AM, gstretchuk said:
What have Naismith and Kelly did? Have i missed something...Kelly was a very limited ability footballer...

They are both managing to make a living as footballers.

So is Baird so what's point your making? Also this so called level that Kelly and Naismith reached that I'm missing!

.........   Baird is a good player, he wouldn't be a professional at any level if he wasn't, .... but I've never been convinced that he has what it takes at the level we are playing at just now. ......... As others have already said, he's definitely a 100%-er, and no fan of any club is ever going to really complain about any player who gives his all week-in-week-out, but I think I can see where JG is coming from in allowing him to step down a division on loan. ...... It's a similar scenario to the Marc McCausland one a few years back, ....... decent enough player, 100% effort every week, fans like him, but there's just that wee question-mark about which level he should actually be playing at. ...

5 minutes ago, Yflab said:
50 minutes ago, suedehead said:
.........   Baird is a good player, he wouldn't be a professional at any level if he wasn't, .... but I've never been convinced that he has what it takes at the level we are playing at just now. ......... As others have already said, he's definitely a 100%-er, and no fan of any club is ever going to really complain about any player who gives his all week-in-week-out, but I think I can see where JG is coming from in allowing him to step down a division on loan. ...... It's a similar scenario to the Marc McCausland one a few years back, ....... decent enough player, 100% effort every week, fans like him, but there's just that wee question-mark about which level he should actually be playing at. ...

Interesting that Cheesy is playing in the top tier in Iceland. A country that is boasting a better record in international football that our nation despite only having a population of 330,000.

........ Yip. ....... And it's possible that something similar to that could happen to Jack Baird, he's only in his early twenties. ..... 

My point is that Jack is capable of playing at a higher level than Morton.

I don't think I mentioned a level that Kelly and Naismith reached, I just feel Baird can have a similar career to them, though obviously all three still have a chance to make me eat my words.

I don't think any of the three will achieve what broadfoot achieved.

So is Baird so what's point your making? Also this so called level that Kelly and Naismith reached that I'm missing!

Guest TPAFKATS
Interesting that Cheesy is playing in the top tier in Iceland. A country that is boasting a better record in international football that our nation despite only having a population of 330,000.
Aye, but their international players don't play in their domestic league.

13 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
5 hours ago, Yflab said:

Aye, but their international players don't play in their domestic league.

True. But neither do some of the millionaires that turn out for Scotland and still  play pish.