Jack Baird joins Morton

mattman

On 9/3/2019 at 6:08 PM, billyg said:

The only important negativity is from JG . He clearly thinks that Jacko is not the answer !

………. and there we have it. Looks like he won't be wearing the stripes again , which really is no surprise !

Goodwin's known Baird for years. I assume that Jim's opinion is that Jack is not good enough to be in the team we aspire to be i.e. one competing for a top 6 place. Great guy, 100% effort at all times but I would have to agree if that is the assessment. We need to aim for the standard of the likes of Davis, Popescu and McLoughlin.

Baird is under contract for another 18 months but I reckon he's probably played his last game for us. Will most likely move on in the summer.

That's twice today that Baird has been praised for giving 100% effort on the pitch. 

So he should. 

So should all football players

They should give nothing less.

Most, I guess do give the full whack.

A few over the years have given a lot less than 100% and they are a disgrace.

David Elliot, Alan Gow and Ricky Gillies spring to mind as those who could have tried much harder.

Funnily enough those three had great footballing skills, if only they had applied themselves more.  

19 minutes ago, shull said:

That's twice today that Baird has been praised for giving 100% effort on the pitch. 

So he should. 

So should all football players

They should give nothing less.

Most, I guess do give the full whack.

A few over the years have given a lot less than 100% and they are a disgrace.

David Elliot, Alan Gow and Ricky Gillies spring to mind as those who could have tried much harder.

Funnily enough those three had great footballing skills, if only they had applied themselves more.  

Obviously Shull. But.. You know exactly what people mean when they say someone gives 100%. Or, do you think that's a matter of being dammed with faint praise. 

Agree with the poster who said that Jack performs best as the support act with an experienced partner in Central defence. 

34 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

~JG has limited money to juggle - that is a factor in all the decisions he is making.

Whether Jack is finished with us or not, only time will tell. But I would be he will be playing Premiership football at some point - probably next season.

I tend to agree. Meanwhile the lad gets game time and no loss of income  and we save some wage costs. 

22 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

This wouldn't be happening unless we we're certain another centre half was on the way.

Bang on the money.

23 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Bairdy staying with M*rt*n until end of season

Can’t say I’m happy about this, unless we are aiming to bring in another CB. Mack and Broadfoot’s injuries have shown having 3 CBs, including two of their age is not a good way forward. 

That’s my worries eased now, good stuff.

2 hours ago, Ethan said:

The only way Baird will be back is if we drop down a division imo

I’m not sure. Long term the only CB we have is McCarthy as Famewo is on loan and the other two are in the latter stages of their career. It really depends on what the permanent options are in the summer.

I’m not sure. Long term the only CB we have is McCarthy as Famewo is on loan and the other two are in the latter stages of their career. It really depends on what the permanent options are in the summer.
and, dare I say it, Jack's development!

We have a history of giving up on young players too soon (Shankland, Ross) or not fully appreciating their skill till they have left McLean, McGinn).

I have no problem whatsoever with the gaffers decision...

but I'd be surprised if he doesn't fully reassess the situation at the end of the season.

If Jack doesn't float his boat by then, it's his call 100%... but the lad deserves a chance to show if he has developed and learned from his loan time.