Jack Baird joins Morton

mattman

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Soapdodger in my work says he's probably the best player they have. He's not too pleased with Hopkin though- good. 

Yeah, it seems the stories that his wee Assistant at Livvy was the real driving force, going on how Hopkin has done at Bradford and Morton, are true enough. 

6 hours ago, munoz said:

Soapdodger in my work says he's probably the best player they have. He's not too pleased with Hopkin though- good. 

I've always rated Baird highly and truthfully don't think the new guy is much better (if at all). I think having him along side Broadfoot can only make him better. Come back Bairdy Come back 

1 minute ago, insaintee said:

I've always rated Baird highly and truthfully don't think the new guy is much better (if at all). I think having him along side Broadfoot can only make him better. Come back Bairdy Come back 

I feel he needs to add some composure to his game, but definitely would have him back. 

1354204748_Screenshot_20191114-150829_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0e5ec5ca678664b2a1f8332d38af9219.jpg

Every cloud has a silver lining ?

While I am disappointed that Broadfoot is out for a few weeks, it will force JG to bring back the Bank, which I am pleased about. I thought he would have started against Hearts to try and nullify the physical presence of their big centre forward.
He wins most crosses into our box and I’ll be happy to have him back against County.

1 hour ago, turrabuddie said:

Every cloud has a silver lining ?

While I am disappointed that Broadfoot is out for a few weeks, it will force JG to bring back the Bank, which I am pleased about. I thought he would have started against Hearts to try and nullify the physical presence of their big centre forward.
He wins most crosses into our box and I’ll be happy to have him back against County.

Trouble is we will still likely have Waters at LB - he was utterly culpable last time. Ross Stewart had him in his pocket the entire game and we took no action to resolve the mismatch.

This game is one for 3 CB to cover their height when they attack , and no not just their strikers..

Big Gary was culpable for Hearts 5th !

Bring back Bairdy !!!! :magic   And sign a quality LB

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/18055407.st-mirren-boss-interested-bringing-back-morton-loanee-baird-paisley/

The general consensus seems to be that Baird is doing well but the fact that Morton have the worst defensive in the Championship is a bit concerning (in relation to Baird that is, obviously the more goals that mob concede the better!).

19 hours ago, Stu said:

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/18055407.st-mirren-boss-interested-bringing-back-morton-loanee-baird-paisley/

The general consensus seems to be that Baird is doing well but the fact that Morton have the worst defensive in the Championship is a bit concerning (in relation to Baird that is, obviously the more goals that mob concede the better!).

Morton were leaking more goals without Jack and with their other CB and RB out injured it is no surprise they are struggling defensively.

My take is JG wanted to make his own mark on our team. And sending Jack out on loan gave us some income to add to the January window budget.

Bairdy has a lot to offer us, though defensively, we have generally been doing okay... money needs to be spent on players who will create and score  goals for us :magic

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 9:29 AM, aldo_j said:

Yeah, it seems the stories that his wee Assistant at Livvy was the real driving force, going on how Hopkin has done at Bradford and Morton, are true enough. 

Livi are on their third manager since Hopkin and have also lost all their best players.

Yet they continue to get better and better

Managers at Livi are front men for the media 

10 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Bairdy staying with M*rt*n until end of season

Can’t say I’m happy about this, unless we are aiming to bring in another CB. Mack and Broadfoot’s injuries have shown having 3 CBs, including two of their age is not a good way forward. 

Goodwin did say that we needed at least one new central defender so that hints that another may arrive. 

However, McGinn and Foley have both shown they are capable of playing central defence.

And with Flynn doing well at right back and Cammy McPherson emerging in central midfield, maybe we have enough cover already. 

If 3 centre halves is good enough for Manchester City then I’m sure it’s good enough for us!

What is certain is that Goodwin doesn’t rate Baird.

5 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

However, McGinn and Foley have both shown they are capable of playing central defence.

And with Flynn doing well at right back and Cammy McPherson emerging in central midfield, maybe we have enough cover already.

The problem with Paul McGinn playing CB is that we have no full back cover on a normal day, hence as you state above the inclusion of Flynn at RB. It might be okay for now, but there’s a reason Paul is a RB and Ryan is a midfielder, and at some point I fear they will be exploited and ripped a new hole. I’ll give you Foley, who seems to be one of our most competent players. I can’t say much on him as I don’t see the games, but those who do will know if we are missing something from Foley not being in midfield, or if we are better as a team with him at CB.

This wouldn't be happening unless we we're certain another centre half was on the way.
Ya think?
Imo Goody just doesn't rate Bairdy. So he was always going out the door one way or another.
I think Goody is gambling that Conor hits the spot, and the crocs return from the physio table.
Let's hope so. Foley can slot in there, but we lose his drive in midfield.

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ya think?
Imo Goody just doesn't rate Bairdy. So he was always going out the door one way or another.
I think Goody is gambling that Conor hits the spot, and the crocs return from the physio table.
Let's hope so. Foley can slot in there, but we lose his drive in midfield.

I think Jack himself feels he should be an established first pick by now at his age and game time since his debut. I like him, though in order for him to get first team football every week, it is probably best for his career for a move.