Am I the only one impressed by the team JG has assembled?

jaybee

On 9/5/2019 at 7:26 PM, Sweeper07 said:

No doubt our new manager and the BOD/Gus have done their best given all kinds of issues which they faced.

Given that Oran inherited a load of dross amidst a few players, he did what he could in a short time. Much as we hoped for more than survival, it was our minimum goal and we achieved that. Of course the squad had to move on, but not because we had players who were only good enough for the play-offs - over the last 10 games our points etc. were nearer top 6, but mainly playing in games against bottom 6 teams. However, some of these guys would not stay and some were being let go to make room for better.

The real answer is : We will only know over the season.  IT does look like we will have a go and be a bit harder to beat in some games, but it is early days and we have a smaller squad. This means some glaring holes if we pick up long term injuries or suspensions to key personnel.

I would love us to finish 4th, but I would be very very surprised if we finish top 6. (AND I am an optimist)

7th to 10th then we have done fine for now. Anything less would be really poor...

My final thoughts are : - We should be better than Hamilton and Ross County (but they may spend big in January). The Fakes don't look as good as last year at this point - so we might finish above them - especially if May does not perform or gets injured. Killie too a bit in transition and not likely to do as well as last season - could we finish above them??. We should do better against Liv in the other games we play them, but we may not. The likes of Hearts, Hibs and Well will all likely finish above us. The other 3 are way above us too... (even though we beat the Dons last time)  

Having lost to Hibs & Livingston I would say it is fair to assume we won't be getting anywhere near the top 6.

Hearts, however, are there for the taking. If they stick with Levein we should be targeting finishing ahead of them. St Johnstone and Killie likewise.

40 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Having lost to Hibs & Livingston I would say it is fair to assume we won't be getting anywhere near the top 6.

Hearts, however, are there for the taking. If they stick with Levein we should be targeting finishing ahead of them. St Johnstone and Killie likewise.

What about Hamilton? 

If you include them then we would have 4 clubs below us and us just 1 or two place off the top six. Unless I am mistaken. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

What about Hamilton? 

If you include them then we would have 4 clubs below us and us just 1 or two place off the top six. Unless I am mistaken. 

Yes along with County they are all clubs we should aiming to compete against. We won't beat all of them though, I think 9th is a realistic target for this season.

The squad looks decent in quality, hopefully the new strikers will be fully bedded in by the Ross County game, KB is an upgrade on Baird & it'll be interesting to see how JG fits in him, McLoughlin & Makenzie into the team. My only worry is the size of the squad (21 on the OS) but as I've said elsewhere Erhahon & MacPherson are still in the development stage of their careers & Kellerman is clearly for use in emergencies only.

I'll be happy if we maintain our current position.....

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

The squad looks decent in quality, hopefully the new strikers will be fully bedded in by the Ross County game, KB is an upgrade on Baird & it'll be interesting to see how JG fits in him, McLoughlin & Makenzie into the team. My only worry is the size of the squad (21 on the OS) but as I've said elsewhere Erhahon & MacPherson are still in the development stage of their careers & Kellerman is clearly for use in emergencies only.

I'll be happy if we maintain our current position.....

McLoughlin will be getting fitted right on to the bench going by his performance at Livingston.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:41 PM, St.Ricky said:

What about Hamilton? 

Is it time yet to start the whingeing about JG...  JR, AR, AS, DL, GUS (strike out as appropriate) being unable to take us to this mythical "NEXT LEVEL"?

Edited by antrin

1 hour ago, gstretchuk said:

Impressed? Players have shown yet they are any better than what Stubbs signed last season with current results..upfront is a major concern with to many non-scoring players calling themselves strikers...Obika currently has as many goals as i have in league...NONE

The fact that our strikers goals total at the moment matches your IQ at zero is very true...................... however, there is more than a reasonable chance that their numbers will increase ........................ whereas?  :whistle

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:
1 hour ago, antrin said:

Is it time yet to start the whingeing about JG...  JR, AR, AS, AL, GUS (strike out as appropriate) being unable to take us to this mythical "NEXT LEVEL"?

AL? :blink:

Yes!  AL a little fella frae abroaf ............. wi dilushons ae grandure.  😎

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

He did say "strike out as appropriate". :D

I was once an apprentice alongside a Paisley Buddie called, Alan Lennon.  Easy mistake to make, if mistake it was!  (I often slip in deliberate mistakes to see who is all paying attention...  :whistle)

On 9/6/2019 at 7:57 PM, Kemp said:

1. Having lost to Hibs & Livingston I would say it is fair to assume we won't be getting anywhere near the top 6.

2. Hearts, however, are there for the taking. If they stick with Levein we should be targeting finishing ahead of them. St Johnstone and Killie likewise.

1. Not sure it is fair to assume. Assumptions can be wrong, but I get where you are coming from. I do think we will improve and get points from Hibs and Liv over the season rather than the straight defeats we got last time around. SO it might depend on how they do. Livi have started well but fell away badly after Christmas last year and Hibs have not looked too great so far, but will most likely gel a bit as time goes on...

2. Hearts are dire at the moment and have lost a couple of good players, have a few injuries and coupled with (like many teams) trying to get new guys to play to their system. I am NOT a Levin fan, but do think they most likely have a better squad than us. My suspicion is they will finish above us, but hope I am wrong... Also, as you alluded, there is no guarantee Levin won't get sacked..

I think the team is set out better than last year for sure,too many games were gone by halftime last season,I think we will be challenging in most games for the full 90 minutes ,the Livingston game was not the best but that pitch is atrocious it looked like they were playing on a waterlogged pitch the ball hardly moved,that said the forwards will have to get an eye for goal soon,albeit only four league games in,a point away this week would be ideal,knicking a point here and there away from home and solid performances in Paisley will see us more than safe this year,but I’ll settle for 10th now but think there’s more than that in this squad

On 9/7/2019 at 9:26 AM, gstretchuk said:

Impressed? Players have shown yet they are any better than what Stubbs signed last season with current results..upfront is a major concern with to many non-scoring players calling themselves strikers...Obika currently has as many goals as i have in league...NONE

Obika has as many goals as you have made sensible contributions on here.

The difference is Obika has just arrived, you've been on here for ages.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, Gunni Thorfason said:

I think the team is set out better than last year for sure,too many games were gone by halftime last season,I think we will be challenging in most games for the full 90 minutes ,the Livingston game was not the best but that pitch is atrocious it looked like they were playing on a waterlogged pitch the ball hardly moved,that said the forwards will have to get an eye for goal soon,albeit only four league games in,a point away this week would be ideal,knicking a point here and there away from home and solid performances in Paisley will see us more than safe this year,but I’ll settle for 10th now but think there’s more than that in this squad

I like your analysis.