Am I the only one impressed by the team JG has assembled?

jaybee

Let's not forget that 2 windows in a row we've brought in a lot of players. The squad hasn't really been settled for any length of time, Goodwin signing players on longer deals will hopefully change that trend and we'll only need to tweak the squad a little in the next window. I don't think we're far away from changing draws and narrow defeats into wins but we'll see how do this Saturday, still too early to panic or write anyone off.

I'll say again I'm happy the business JG did once he got his own targets in but we're a yoyo club and IMO still in our target position. My one worry as I've said elsewhere is the size of the First Team squad, especially at CH if Mackenzie is out for any length of time. We'll just have to raid players from the best team in Renfrewshire - St. Mirren Colts!

21 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Let's not forget that 2 windows in a row we've brought in a lot of players. The squad hasn't really been settled for any length of time, Goodwin signing players on longer deals will hopefully change that trend and we'll only need to tweak the squad a little in the next window. I don't think we're far away from changing draws and narrow defeats into wins but we'll see how do this Saturday, still too early to panic or write anyone off.

Overall I agree but if what we have turns out to be shit we're in deep doo doo.

It is early, we have what we have and it's up to the manager to get the best from the current group of players, as it was last season.

It seems another reason that signing players earlier could have been important as we'd be weeks ahead of where we are, if the players are up to it. 

PS It is too early to write people off, just as it's too early to get excited, as seen by the usual knee jerk reactions in this thread. 

Edited by faraway saint

On 9/16/2019 at 9:13 AM, faraway saint said:

Overall I agree but if what we have turns out to be shit we're in deep doo doo.

It is early, we have what we have and it's up to the manager to get the best from the current group of players, as it was last season.

It seems another reason that signing players earlier could have been important as we'd be weeks ahead of where we are, if the players are up to it. 

PS It is too early to write people off, just as it's too early to get excited, as seen by the usual knee jerk reactions in this thread. 

I've seen signs of us being a good team but that's on the assumption that as the players improve as a team then hopefully the performances will  follow.

On 9/15/2019 at 11:53 AM, proudtobeabuddy said:

Its never too early to panic.

On 9/15/2019 at 11:53 AM, proudtobeabuddy said:

We havent drawn yet in the league, so any coach that can turn those 'mythical' draws into wins is a genius. Best looked at after first round of eleven games. We didnt move much after that round last year.

We havent drawn yet in the league, so any coach that can turn those 'mythical' draws into wins is a genius. Best looked at after first round of eleven games. We didnt move much after that round last year.

Ok I’ll explain my post a little more... at this point we’ve suffered narrow defeats, some of them should/could have been draws. Nothing mythical about it... we’re not far away from turning these results to victories... but then I’m sure you knew what I meant[emoji849]

2 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Ok I’ll explain my post a little more... at this point we’ve suffered narrow defeats, some of them should/could have been draws. Nothing mythical about it... we’re not far away from turning these results to victories... but then I’m sure you knew what I meantemoji849.png

Can we have the narrow defeats turned into wins too please!

and naw, i didnae know what you meant.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:21 PM, Lord Pityme said:

Aye we huv and naw we didnae.

Early days, still to gel etc. 

Hope to feck Celtic, Rangers and Hibs win tomorrow. 

Team P GD Pts
1   Celtic 5 15 15

2   Rangers 5 7 12
3   Aberdeen 6 5 11

4   Motherwell 6 2 10
5   Ross County 6 -1 10
6   Livingston 6 0 8
7   Kilmarnock 5 0 7
8   Hamilton 6 -4 5
9   St Mirren 6 -3 4
10   Hibernian 5 -9 4

11   St Johnstone 5 -8 3

12   Hearts 5 -4 2

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

I predict we will finish bottom

It’s worse than Stubbs!

Stubbs signings (since you seem to have trouble remembering)

Danny Rodgers (permanently crocked, now at Morton)

Hayden Coulson (loan ended by the autumn)

Josh Heaton (record signing fee in the past 25 years, 2 poor performances against Queens Park and Spartans)

Cole Kpekawa (a first pick under Stubbs and banished and mutually consented by Kearney)

Alfie Jones (loan ended early)

Matty Willock (loan ended early)

Lee Hodson (loan deal honoured until the end of the deal, injured for most of the 2nd half of the season)

Ryan Edwards (loan deal ended early)

Jeff King (mutually consented)

Cody Cooke (3 goals in 1st season)

Nicolai Brock-Madsen (0 goals, loan deal ended early)

League results under Stubbs - every game over before half time apart from against relegated Dundee.

Stubbs signings (since you seem to have trouble remembering)
Danny Rodgers (permanently crocked, now at Morton)
Hayden Coulson (loan ended by the autumn)
Josh Heaton (record signing fee in the past 25 years, 2 poor performances against Queens Park and Spartans)
Cole Kpekawa (a first pick under Stubbs and banished and mutually consented by Kearney)
Alfie Jones (loan ended early)
Matty Willock (loan ended early)
Lee Hodson (loan deal honoured until the end of the deal, injured for most of the 2nd half of the season)
Ryan Edwards (loan deal ended early)
Jeff King (mutually consented)
Cody Cooke (3 goals in 1st season)
Nicolai Brock-Madsen (0 goals, loan deal ended early)

League results under Stubbs - every game over before half time apart from against relegated Dundee.

How does the fact that we we were shit under Stubbs make this any better? [emoji1]

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

How does the fact that we we were shit under Stubbs make this any better? emoji1.png

At least a decent percentage of Goodwin's signings look fine, all the games have been tight and competitive so far - just two ways which pour considerable doubt over your claim that things are worse now than under Stubbs. Goodwin also has a better attitude towards being St Mirren manager than Stubbs had.