Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
jaybee

Am I the only one impressed by the team JG has assembled?

Recommended Posts

Leaving myself wide open for the castigation that is (fairly sure) to follow.............. but, points apart you have to be reasonably impressed with the work of JG, GS, GlS et al in their short tenure to date.......... surely?  Well I certainly am as he is most definitely raising the standard of player playing for the Buddies........ even though it isn't QUITE clicking yet, I am ever hopeful and much as I love Baird's tenacity and work rate; KIrk is a class above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Leaving myself wide open for the castigation that is (fairly sure) to follow.............. but, points apart you have to be reasonably impressed with the work of JG, GS, GlS et al in their short tenure to date.......... surely?  Well I certainly am as he is most definitely raising the standard of player playing for the Buddies........ even though it isn't QUITE clicking yet, I am ever hopeful and much as I love Baird's tenacity and work rate; KIrk is a class above.

I'd say that I am impressed by the improvement in standard across the squad. A better balance too and overall more competition for places.

A step up from the early part of this season and from last. Goals from the strikers will be needed to prove their worth, as always in those positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Haven't nearly seen enough of Morias in his two brief cameos but he looks like a wee powerhouse who is very direct. Obika though, put in a really good shift at Livingston, a few times in the second half, he picked the ball from deep and went on a bit of a driving run at the heart of their defence and actually carved open a couple of half chances. 

He also has good awareness from what I can see of where his team mates are and will bring them into the game. 

Also worth noting that Saturday was his first full 90 mins after his injury so he is still building up. I believe goals will come from the guy, don't think he'll be prolific but if he can bag us 8 or 9 this season it'd be a very decent return. 

I'll say that he's a significant improvement on Nazon (a player some fans had a lot of time for) from what I've seen so far. 

The improvement on Nazon is entirely related to much better work rate. You could tell the duck had talent but he was a lazy fecker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m very happy with every position, we look arguably stronger in so many areas. 

Tough to judge the strikers, first four games, three against some of the best teams in the league & the last against a team that’s game plan frustrated practically every strike force at one point or other last season. (They’re also siting third) 

Even in saying that, our forward options got into good positions, created chances & have been very unlucky not to score. The quality is there for sure IMO. 

Hope everyone stays fit & I think Junior (the old one) will have a big part to play in that. 

Can see clean sheets & goals this season with every player playing their part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a valid post Jaybee

JG will judged on one thing and that's how many points this assembled squad gets and that we finish above 10th.... Last season under Stubbs we had 3 points after 4 games and qualified to latter stages of LC

I think we have a far better team than Accies and County and Livi on paper, but as shown at Livi that counts for nothing....

However JG unlike Livi and Accies and County, has not had time to implement his plans AND HIS MINDSET

So a bit like Clarke at Scotland, baby steps, fan buy in and players giving 100% to the Jersey every game and yes we COULD have a better less stressful season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very concerned over the centre of defence, hopefully Broadfoot solves that worry.

Like others concerned about the wastefulness of our strikers so far. I see good link up play but poor finishing. I'd actually rather have Cooke and Mullen up there thus far. Hopefully we will see more from them in the upcoming games.

Left back is a problem still, but this is what happens when you have to cobble a squad together so quickly.

Pleased with our 25 central midfield options.

Kyle McAllister is an outstanding player.  He won't be here for 3 full years.

Looking forward to Djorkaeff breaking in to the team at some point, and hopefully seeing more of Cammy Breadner too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kemp said:

I was very concerned over the centre of defence, hopefully Broadfoot solves that worry.

Like others concerned about the wastefulness of our strikers so far. I see good link up play but poor finishing. I'd actually rather have Cooke and Mullen up there thus far. Hopefully we will see more from them in the upcoming games.

Left back is a problem still, but this is what happens when you have to cobble a squad together so quickly.

Pleased with our 25 central midfield options.

Kyle McAllister is an outstanding player.  He won't be here for 3 full years.

Looking forward to Djorkaeff breaking in to the team at some point, and hopefully seeing more of Cammy Breadner too.

We didn’t have to cobble a squad together quickly. We did the opposite & completed our due diligence on players. That’s why we’ve been comfortable in offering so many of our squad longer term deals & much less reliant on loans 

yes our LB is a loan signing but so far he’s been solid & we have players that can cover if need be. It’s historically a tough position to fill for a lot of teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

We didn’t have to cobble a squad together quickly. We did the opposite & completed our due diligence on players. That’s why we’ve been comfortable in offering so many of our squad longer term deals & much less reliant on loans 

yes our LB is a loan signing but so far he’s been solid & we have players that can cover if need be. It’s historically a tough position to fill for a lot of teams. 

We shall agree to disagree.

Well, you probably won't actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kemp said:

We shall agree to disagree.

Well, you probably won't actually.

I suppose we’ll likely see if it looks like this squad has been thrown together or it actually looks like we've Signed quality. Too early to know for sure... like late July was far too early to say the DoF model had failed. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I suppose we’ll likely see if it looks like this squad has been thrown together or it actually looks like we've Signed quality. Too early to know for sure... like late July was far too early to say the DoF model had failed. :lol:

Oh Bazil.

Seek help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on highlights, one tv match and comments from our more sensible fans, I'm looking forward to seeing how this season pans out. By this time last year, we might have had three points as well, but apprehension had well and truly set in as the poor standard of signings was clear to see!

Incidentally, this thread has proved an interesting read, so thanks to all for keeping it sensible. No doubt the usual suspects will be along soon to mess it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm impressed the type of players who can compete at premiership level.  Our forwards will score goals helped by a strong midfield. Broadfoot in the heart of our defence has just went up a notch. I for one am really looking forward to the season ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jaybee said:

Leaving myself wide open for the castigation that is (fairly sure) to follow.............. but, points apart you have to be reasonably impressed with the work of JG, GS, GlS et al in their short tenure to date.......... surely?  Well I certainly am as he is most definitely raising the standard of player playing for the Buddies........ even though it isn't QUITE clicking yet, I am ever hopeful and much as I love Baird's tenacity and work rate; KIrk is a class above.

No doubt our new manager and the BOD/Gus have done their best given all kinds of issues which they faced.

Given that Oran inherited a load of dross amidst a few players, he did what he could in a short time. Much as we hoped for more than survival, it was our minimum goal and we achieved that. Of course the squad had to move on, but not because we had players who were only good enough for the play-offs - over the last 10 games our points etc. were nearer top 6, but mainly playing in games against bottom 6 teams. However, some of these guys would not stay and some were being let go to make room for better.

The real answer is : We will only know over the season.  IT does look like we will have a go and be a bit harder to beat in some games, but it is early days and we have a smaller squad. This means some glaring holes if we pick up long term injuries or suspensions to key personnel.

I would love us to finish 4th, but I would be very very surprised if we finish top 6. (AND I am an optimist)

7th to 10th then we have done fine for now. Anything less would be really poor...

My final thoughts are : - We should be better than Hamilton and Ross County (but they may spend big in January). The Fakes don't look as good as last year at this point - so we might finish above them - especially if May does not perform or gets injured. Killie too a bit in transition and not likely to do as well as last season - could we finish above them??. We should do better against Liv in the other games we play them, but we may not. The likes of Hearts, Hibs and Well will all likely finish above us. The other 3 are way above us too... (even though we beat the Dons last time)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...