Football On The Telly

shull

5 hours ago, guinness said:

Champions league not usually worth watching until knock out rounds

I disagree.

The qualifiers are the most interesting stage, full of actual league champions and involving most of Europe, the way it should be.

The groups are good for seeing clubs with less money shafting those with lots of it, like Slavia away to Inter today. It also means BT show The Goals Show, so instead of watching loads of meaningless shite like one guy taking 25 minutes for a thrown in, you get the best of the action between all the games, see all the goals, red cards and so forth. Best bit of tv during the club season as it focuses on what you care about instead of “man takes goal kick 17 minutes after ball goes out of play”.

The Knockouts are pish, full of sides who didn’t win their domestic league constantly reminding us of why big money in football is destroying the game. The occasional Ajax/Monaco type run is nice until you remember their squad will be ripped apart in the summer.

Of course I’m not saying your wrong, just my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I disagree.

The qualifiers are the most interesting stage, full of actual league champions and involving most of Europe, the way it should be.

The groups are good for seeing clubs with less money shafting those with lots of it, like Slavia away to Inter today. It also means BT show The Goals Show, so instead of watching loads of meaningless shite like one guy taking 25 minutes for a thrown in, you get the best of the action between all the games, see all the goals, red cards and so forth. Best bit of tv during the club season as it focuses on what you care about instead of “man takes goal kick 17 minutes after ball goes out of play”.

The Knockouts are pish, full of sides who didn’t win their domestic league constantly reminding us of why big money in football is destroying the game. The occasional Ajax/Monaco type run is nice until you remember their squad will be ripped apart in the summer.

Of course I’m not saying your wrong, just my opinion.

Apart from normally the same teams qualify anyway. The whole competition is set up to let the richest through. It will get even worse, I believe. In the next few years. I do not even watch the finals stages now either.

17 minutes ago, guinness said:

Apart from normally the same teams qualify anyway. The whole competition is set up to let the richest through. It will get even worse, I believe. In the next few years. I do not even watch the finals stages now either.

Exactly why my interest becomes less and less the further the tournament goes on. If it wasn’t for my liking of Score predictor games I wouldn’t even know how the knockouts were panning out.

9 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:
3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:
I'm with CS on this one. The credibility of the competition has been lost. Champions only should be the criteria for entry. 

What, all 55 of them? All in at the first round?

I get your point EAB. The dreaded seeding system would help together with removing multiple clubs from the bigger leagues. 

Countries getting independence haven't half complicated things though. 

Not forgetting that England, Scotland, Wales and NI have individual entries. 

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's ok, I have other means...............:wink:

On more important stuff, celebrity masterchef is shit. 

Never ever watched it as I guessed it would be shite.

I used to enjoy Fanny Craddock.

What a wummin she was. 

On 9/18/2019 at 12:29 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:
On 9/18/2019 at 9:23 AM, St.Ricky said:
I'm with CS on this one. The credibility of the competition has been lost. Champions only should be the criteria for entry. 

What, all 55 of them? All in at the first round?

Top 9 seeds go straight into group stage.

That leaves 46 teams - 23 games, two legs. 23 winners join the 9 making 32 team group stage.

Then we have an actual Champions League.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

That leaves 46 teams - 23 games, two legs. 23 winners join the 9 making 32 team group stage.

Thanks CS. I would favour only the Champions of Each Country being involved. 

5 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I can get this idea but, as the competition stands, it still works perfectly well.

The best teams qualify and, overall, produce the best football available.

For me it's all about the quality and it produces that year in year out.

Sure there are disappointing games, last years final for one, but theirs always cracking games, goals and drama.

Best club football tournament in the world for me.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I can get this idea but, as the competition stands, it still works perfectly well.

The best teams qualify and, overall, produce the best football available.

For me it's all about the quality and it produces that year in year out.

Sure there are disappointing games, last years final for one, but theirs always cracking games, goals and drama.

Best club football tournament in the world for me.

The current setup has hoarded football’s money into four countries, and killed it off for many others. In the past we had the likes of Ajax being dominant because they had a stunning youth system. Their youth system is still quality but that dominance will never occur again because they can’t keep the players. Last season was a great effort but I can’t see them repeating it year after year like they used to.

I just can’t support the idea of 4 countries taking 16 group spaces while the other 51 countries have to fight it out for the other 16. 

The problem now is too deep, and any suggestion to change it in a way which will hurt the bigger countries will result in the European Superleague taking form, which again  I can’t support.

6 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

The current setup has hoarded football’s money into four countries, and killed it off for many others. In the past we had the likes of Ajax being dominant because they had a stunning youth system. Their youth system is still quality but that dominance will never occur again because they can’t keep the players. Last season was a great effort but I can’t see them repeating it year after year like they used to.

I just can’t support the idea of 4 countries taking 16 group spaces while the other 51 countries have to fight it out for the other 16. 

The problem now is too deep, and any suggestion to change it in a way which will hurt the bigger countries will result in the European Superleague taking form, which again  I can’t support.

Every league, International tournament in the world is about maximising income.

You only need to look at our club with the current situation giving our ground to the OF.

There is no point IMO whining about supporting or not supporting it, every supporter supports this in some way.

I already mentioned, plenty of smaller clubs in every country could whine about other clubs having more resources, it's always happened, now it just happens more.

It's football, I leave the politics to others.