Football On The Telly

shull

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I can get this idea but, as the competition stands, it still works perfectly well.

The best teams qualify and, overall, produce the best football available.

For me it's all about the quality and it produces that year in year out.

Sure there are disappointing games, last years final for one, but theirs always cracking games, goals and drama.

Best club football tournament in the world for me.

It's a sham. Made to suit the larger countries with bigger viewing figures for advertisers. Artificially loaded. 

1 minute ago, Slartibartfast said:

I don't agree with seeding, just playing into the hands of the big boys again.

A team entering at the preliminary round in the current setup would have to play 23 games if they reached the final, whereas the big boys would only have to play 13 - totally unfair IMO.

11 groups of 5 (totally at random, home and away), top 2 and 10 best 3rd place progress into last 32 group stage then knockout from last 16. A total of 21 games for a team that reaches the final.

Maybe they top athletes would get too tired, though, and the first group stage could be cut to 4 games, home/away determined by the order teams were drawn, making a total of 17 games. Or maybe knockout from last 32 stage for 17 games. Or both, for 13 games.

(Hope my arithmetic hasn't let me down :) )

Simple, but it'll never happen - turkeys and xmas.

(I'm assuming the 55 quoted is correct, I can't be arsed checking)

I agree about seeding. Champions only. Knock out over two legs until the quarter finals which I would have as straightforward knock out from then on.