Tommy Robinson

shull

46 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:
14 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:
This is the only video you need on a man convicted of mortgage fraud, violence, drug possession, contempt of court...

You forgot illegal immigration when he used someone else's passport to enter America.

I forgot about that one actually.

Amazing that a man who continually reoffends and has a history of fraud and violence is worshipped by some in Britain. It’s embarrassing.

5 hours ago, Hands of stone said:

Tommy speaks his mind so would be sin binned in here as not allowed freedom of speech on forum!

Why is this Daily Mail brained gormless bigot still disgracing our St Mirren supporters forum?

Utter embarrassment that he has even this tiny association with our club and support.

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

I think the guy's a total twat but that "joke" you quote is actually pretty accurate as the qur'an does contain all those things - same could be said of the bible, of course, maybe even more so.

I  did consider that but I reckoned it's about the context - I could be wrong but it's an online post designed to be offensive not part of a Dave Allen stylee stand up routine.

Edited by Bud the Baker

10 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Why is this Daily Mail brained gormless bigot still disgracing our St Mirren supporters forum?

Utter embarrassment that he has even this tiny association with our club and support.

Says the Tartan Terror shitebag who has Braveheart on loop and despises and detests anything English /British. 

And a fecking crybaby to Div. 

17 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

This is the only video you need on a man convicted of mortgage fraud, violence, drug possession, contempt of court...

If only our strikers could score goals as easily as it is to find footage of Tommy Robinson being racist.

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

Kemp the Tartan Terror hates St Mirren fans and Scottish people who don't want INDEPENDENCE for our wee REGION that we all reside in. 

He is a bully and a major abuser on here. 

Laughingly he runs crying to Div when replied to. 

4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I'm not saying that he isn't a racist, he is, just that, on it's own, that "joke" was accurate and in no way islamophobic.

Also, when did hatred of things start to be labelled "phobias" when a phobia is actually an extreme or irrational fear of something?

On in's own the "joke" is intended to be and is Islamophobic, suggesting that Mr. Yaxley-Lennon's target was Creationists is well wide of the mark.

The English language is continually evolving and I'd argue that the narrow definition of "phobias" you suggest is outdated.

PS - Islamophobia is in the dictionary! :P.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

I never suggested that his target was creationists.

All languages evolve, if they didn't there wouldn't be any languages, never mind different ones.

Not outdated, just accurate - look it up and tell me how any definition of "phobia" could mean "hate". Islamophobia literally means an irrational fear of Islam, not hatred of, or bigotry against, Islam.

Just you wait until the phrase "I could care less" (meaning "I couldn't care less") becomes "wholly acceptable", then you'll regret this slippery slope.

Islamophobia

Islamophobia is the fear, hatred of, or prejudice against the Islamic religion or Muslims generally, especially when seen as a geopolitical force or the source of terrorism. The meaning of the term continues to be debated, and some view it as problematic.
You said the joke was "in no way Islamophobic", I say it was i.e. prejudiced against the Islamic religion - if you disagree then who would you suggest was it's target?
Like I said language evolves and I take the wider view that the definition now includes prejudice against - these sort of changes occur when you've been in cryogenic suspension!
Edited by Bud the Baker

19 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

It looked to me like you were saying that my definition of "phobia" was narrow.

Why would there have to be a target? If anything, the target was a book of fables.

If he had made the same post with "bible" instead of "Koran" at the end, would anyone be getting upset about it, or labelling him Christianophobic (or whatever word could be made up for it)? The fact is, there are very similar things in many places online using "bible" instead of "Koran" but I have yet to see any post on here denouncing them, why would that be? Not fashionable enough?

Just because the guy is a racist twat, it doesn't mean that everything he says can be labelled as racist/

Hypothetical but if it had been a standalone tweet from a Muslim cleric regarded as extreme then I'm sure there would be - as I said it's all about context it was intended as an Islamophobic tweet, it was an Islamophobic tweet and I'm sure the man on the GHR omnibus would see it this way. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

10 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

But a Muslim cleric, extreme or not, would know that he couldn't make that comment without also disparaging the Koran.

You can't prove that it was "intended" as an islamophobic tweet, not unless he admits it was. It's very hard to prove intent without an admission.

Obviously the law doesn't see it as islamophobic or he would be getting charged as I'm sure there would have been lots of complaints seeing as who made it. So, therefore, you cannot accurately say it "was" an islamophobic tweet.

There's a GHR omnibus? Have you asked "the man" on it? Is there only one man on it? The driver?

Can the tweet really be described as islamophobic if it is 100% accurate? As an example, if someone said "I hate black people" then that would make the person a racist but the comment itself would not be racist.

At least we've got by the first part of your quibble and you now accept that Islamophobic can also mean prejudice against Muslims.

I stand by my opinion that the "joke" is Islamopobhic (i.e. prejudiced against Muslims) and is recognized as such by the majority of people - even shull  didn't object! The "joke" is one of a long list of on-line statements by Mr. Yaxley-Lennon criticized for being Islamophobic and I don't foresee him suing for libel, however I guess I have to accept there's a grey area which has saved Mr. Yaxley-Lennon from appearing in the criminal courts.

Edited by Bud the Baker

11 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

There's a GHR omnibus? Have you asked "the man" on it? Is there only one man on it? The driver?

As a proud Londoner, I was also perplexed by “GHR”.  :unsure:

“Clapham”, surely?

Though it could pertain to the Glasgow Housing Register... which would work as well... though for many years it has been “Clapham” that helped the phrase be meaningful in a Justice Courts scenario.

(recently reviewed as - ironically - many Clapham bus passengers are not as “typical” people as when the phrase was first used in the courts.  A majority are now likelier to be foreign/European incomers  with little of the commonplace “British” perspective in life required for that test to hold true.)

I'm unsure if this helps, but I thought some background was desired.

Also fyi, from long before the phrase entered the justice system... (from Guardian Notes & Queries)

IN THE Journal of the Society of Arts (May 1857), the following passage appears: "so thoroughly has the tedious traffic of the streets become ground into the true Londoner's nature, that ... your dog-collared occupant of the knife-board of a Clapham omnibus will stick on London Bridge for half-an-hour with scarcely a murmur." How times don't change!

19 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Hypothetical but if it had been a standalone tweet from a Muslim cleric regarded as extreme then I'm sure there would be - as I said it's all about context it was intended as an Islamophobic tweet, it was an Islamophobic tweet and I'm sure the man on the GHR omnibus would see it this way

TBF, the man on the GHR omnibus is an absolute spangle of the first order so I don't think  we should be trying to use that type of person as a benchmark. :D

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, shull said:

Show me my racism. 

I didn't accuse you of racism. I accused you of sharing racist propaganda by sharing videos promoting Tommy Robinson's views, who it has already been established earlier in this thread is a racist.

However, the more I think about it, that is quite a racist thing to do.

14 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I didn't accuse you of racism. I accused you of sharing racist propaganda by sharing videos promoting Tommy Robinson's views, who it has already been established earlier in this thread is a racist.

However, the more I think about it, that is quite a racist thing to do.

Show me anything that I have posted that shows Robinson  to be a racist.

• 3 weeks later...