Club Captain?

Kemp

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/17900441.jim-goodwin-praises-kyle-magennis-midfielders-scotland-exploits/?ref=twtrec

I notice in this interview about Goodwin states that Kyle Magennis is "captain here for now"

Stephen McGinn didn't even make the bench for our last game against Livingston. He was in the stand and said he was fit & ready to go. I understand him not walking back in to the team, but it seemed odd him not even being on the bench.

It doesn't sound like Goodwin is thinking of asking Kyle to hand the captain's armband back tomorrow either.

I will be interested to see the team tomorrow. Is McGinn going to be in Goodwin's plans at all?

JG walked into a bit of a problem with McGinn as captain. His performances have been up and down, he’s been battling fitness and injury, and he’s not the standout player in the team in the way he was when he arrived back. At that time he was head and shoulders above the rest of the team and was the standout candidate for captaincy. 

The way things are now, he can’t be considered a definite starter over the course of a season so I think JG is being quite sensible in trying to gently transition the captaincy while McGinn has a spell in the stands - rather than publicly stripping him off it and making it an event.  

I may be wrong but I would think it will stay with Magennis. 

It will be interesting to see to what extent McGinn comes back into Goodwin’s plans. He’s been a great servant and still has something to contribute as part of a squad for me. 

Hopefully McGinn can pull out a Shuggie Murray type comeback.

Every time he got dropped it looked like his days were numbered, just for Shuggie to find his best form again. Even more so when he lost the captaincy. I hope Stephen has some of that too.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

18 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Hopefully McGinn can pull out a Shuggie Murray type comeback.

Every time he got dropped it looked like his days were numbered, just for Shuggie to find his best form again. Even more so when he lost the captaincy. I hope Stephen has some of that too.

Getting dropped then finding form describes another very similar captains situation at our club in recent years... Jim Goodwin. 

I have every faith McGinn will be back hammering the midfield at our great club before long. 

7 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Injury and suspension may only be one game away.

Failing that, I can’t imagine our entire midfield will be 10/10 for every game for the rest of the season.

Correct. Also.. Steven is the Club Captain but needs to merit his place in the starting 11 and match day squad on a game by game basis. I hope he does. 

9 hours ago, lenziebud said:

So who are we going to drop in midfield for McGinn ??

I think it’ll more be that he’ll impress in training and give Goody a decision. I wouldn’t want to say specifically but it’s common throughout the season for players to dip, get injured, suspended etc and when his chance comes McGinn will take it. 

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

Flynn could easily be dropped for his performance against Livingston.

If we're basing being dropped on this basis, then every player could be dropped.

Like others Flynn was honking in the first half, but he was much better in the second half.

Anyway, Goodwin was on the radio during the week and said that the players in the team are there on merit, and it's up to the others to get back into the team.

He also made a point of mentioning Flynn and Foley's current partnership in midfield, when asked about McGinn.

9 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Avoiding the question ?

No. He said that McGinn would have to play his way back in. He referred to his own career, when he had been in a similar situation to McGinn, and as frustrated as he was, he got on with it and eventually got back in the first team.

Flynn and Foley is understandable, but Cammy MacPherson is on the bench ahead of McGinn today.

McGinn also hasn’t been picked for the reserve games recently either.

Unless there is another injury then it looks like he is being frozen out.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Flynn and Foley is understandable, but Cammy MacPherson is on the bench ahead of McGinn today.

McGinn also hasn’t been picked for the reserve games recently either.

Unless there is another injury then it looks like he is being frozen out.

U have no idea what is happening behind closed doors so why are u speculating...u simply do not know the facts!

1 minute ago, Slartibartfast said:
3 hours ago, gstretchuk said:
U have no idea what is happening behind closed doors so why are u speculating...u simply do not know the facts!

If he knew what was going on then there would be no need for speculating. As he doesn't know, then speculating is all he can do.

Well dont..

If we were winning or at least drawing some of our games it wouldn’t matter, but we’re getting beat from the teams we need to be taking points from. Lineup is too negative and funnily enough reminds me of McPhersons teams. We must attack more and start beating the teams you would imagine will be around us. Looks like another relegation battle already.

4 hours ago, wee bud 62 said:

If we were winning or at least drawing some of our games it wouldn’t matter, but we’re getting beat from the teams we need to be taking points from. Lineup is too negative and funnily enough reminds me of McPhersons teams. We must attack more and start beating the teams you would imagine will be around us. Looks like another relegation battle already.

Man for man we are better than last season. Had we won or drawn today (only taken away in the last seconds and would be 3 positions higher in the league. You are right though that heads to head with our closest competitors need to show improved results.