Danny Mullen

Kemp

3 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

I have a feeling with our attacking options in midfield we will see more chances converted in these positions. Tony Andreu if starting or at least having some involvement in a game, could easily see him bag at least 10 goals this season. I'm quite confident of that. 

Wow!! That is confidence indeed.

At this moment in times I'm struugling to see us 10 more goals as a team this season, never mind Andreu alone!

Danny Mullen is a proven goal scorer. He is a better player than Andreu, Obika and Morias combined.
If it wasn't for Mullen's goals at the end of last season we would have been relegated.
Why is he not starting every week?
I think Goodwin is trying a bit hard to put his mark on the team. Get McGinn and Mullen back on the pitch as of next week!
Problem with DM is his first touch ball control and passing are all dreadful. But he has sniffed out a few goals. Obika has been poor. And the jury is still on Junior. Apart from Magennis we were piss poor on Sat. And Goody can dress it up all he likes. I dont think in 5 games Obika and Junior have had a shot on target. And that's not good enough imo.

Kemp says half a dozen posts back that Morais and Obika have been missing chance after chance yet here we have someone else watching the same games saying they have hardly had a shot . I personally tend to agree more with Santaponsa, I don't recall either getting too many chances possibly one each a game at most which is awful service to be judging strikers on.

Problem with DM is his first touch ball control and passing are all dreadful. But he has sniffed out a few goals. Obika has been poor. And the jury is still on Junior. Apart from Magennis we were piss poor on Sat. And Goody can dress it up all he likes. I dont think in 5 games Obika and Junior have had a shot on target. And that's not good enough imo.

11 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

when you say expecting of our strikers...

Point i was making is that even if they were playing to the maximum level of expected non OF goals last season after 5 games they would be averaging 1 at most. Anyone expecting us to unearth a striker at this level who is going to score every 3 or 4 games is living in cloud cuckoo land. They are rare as hens teeth !

17 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Kemp says half a dozen posts back that Morais and Obika have been missing chance after chance yet here we have someone else watching the same games saying they have hardly had a shot . I personally tend to agree more with Santaponsa, I don't recall either getting too many chances possibly one each a game at most which is awful service to be judging strikers on.

I include Andreu in the places that Mullen could take. Aberdeen (multiple times), Rangers & Livingston games all had excellent chances created that Mullen would have put in the net. Actually, I would have put them in the net - some of these were tap ins really.

Our playing style obviously isn't shoot on sight. We are trying to work the ball in to good positions in the box. It is not true to state big chances haven't been created, we would have several more points on the board had Mullen been on the pitch to put away those chances.

For me JG  has his first 11 and DM is not in it.  Come hell or high water like a few others in the squad he will live and die by his selections.

Unfortunately early signs are not good enough in regards to our forward line.

Hopefully that changes on Saturday and we take at least 4 points from Hamilton/Hearts games.

If we don't I really can't see where we go from here except being stuck in another dog fight that I just can't see us winning this time around.

20 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Somebody who puts ball in net on regular basis, not somebody who goes upfront and scores 5-6 goals a season and says they are a striker...

Hmmm... let me think...Salah?...Aguero?...Sterling?  Let me put it this way, how much money do you want the club to spend?  Or another way, what 'regular goalscorer' do we have in the squad that you would recommend?

Exactly and everyone bar Cosgrove outwith the OF were struggling for double figs last season. The myth of a free scoring striker is just that for the vast majority of clubs in our position. If either gets half a dozen or more it's pretty standard for a season. We need goals from all positions not just strikers.

Hmmm... let me think...Salah?...Aguero?...Sterling?  Let me put it this way, how much money do you want the club to spend?  Or another way, what 'regular goalscorer' do we have in the squad that you would recommend?

23 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Somebody who puts ball in net on regular basis, not somebody who goes upfront and scores 5-6 goals a season and says they are a striker...

Mullen has never said he is a striker, so yet again you lambast one of our players " in my opinion " its lack of service none of the strikers have had barrow loads of chances we need other players to step up to the mark as well. We need pace in the team, we need we need our wide men to produce balls into the box we need the midfield creating and also taking chances. Strikers are judged on goals but they can'tdo it by themselves the need service 

I include Andreu in the places that Mullen could take. Aberdeen (multiple times), Rangers & Livingston games all had excellent chances created that Mullen would have put in the net. Actually, I would have put them in the net - some of these were tap ins really.
Our playing style obviously isn't shoot on sight. We are trying to work the ball in to good positions in the box. It is not true to state big chances haven't been created, we would have several more points on the board had Mullen been on the pitch to put away those chances.

Service to our strikers has been very poor. There have been chances, but not many, and not nearly enough.
This needs to change, starting this weekend.
I would start Danny on Saturday alongside Junior.
Durmus on the wing with McAlister to come off the bench when Accies defence is tiring.

17 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Exactly and everyone bar Cosgrove outwith the OF were struggling for double figs last season. The myth of a free scoring striker is just that for the vast majority of clubs in our position. If either gets half a dozen or more it's pretty standard for a season. We need goals from all positions not just strikers.

I don't disagree with what you have been saying about strikers - but Ross Stewart has 7 goals already - 3 from 5 league games...

He had a field day against Waters - Height and all...

5 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Service to our strikers has been very poor. There have been chances, but not many, and not nearly enough.

This needs to change, starting this weekend.
I would start Danny on Saturday alongside Junior.
Durmus on the wing with McAlister to come off the bench when Accies defence is tiring.

I am with you on this. Magennis and Flynn could run the midfield with Foley in behind or in front and swapping into Magennis's or Flynn's position when they attack.

I'd also start with Mullen and one of the other strikers - Mullen will work his socks off and gets stuck into tackles. He should also be hungry for a chance.

Along with Obika/Morais potentially swapping their is also Andreu to come on along with McAllister if we are going for it or needing fresh legs.

We would need to demand more from Paul McGinn, but he is a better player than he has shown recently. (Wondering if he is not happy about Stephen's exclusion?)

I'm still a wee bit worried they will have seen how poor Waters was against a tall player - I think that will be their primary assault route. Although we are not fully convincing in central defence either.

In recent weeks they have been tight defensively - a game for hitting shots at them from all over the park: rebounds, deflections, wonder goals - all of these please for us...:turtle

On 9/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, Ayrshire Saints said:

Point i was making is that even if they were playing to the maximum level of expected non OF goals last season after 5 games they would be averaging 1 at most. Anyone expecting us to unearth a striker at this level who is going to score every 3 or 4 games is living in cloud cuckoo land. They are rare as hens teeth !

So we paid a lot to sign a perennially injured McAllister.... when we could have got Shankland for free! Right there is your regular scorer capable at this level.

7 minutes ago, ged62 said:

Where has he shown he’s capable at this level?

At the level, and the success our current strikers play at, Shankland is a stick on to score. He isnt a simple poacher, he makes goals for himself. Something we dont have. Are you suggesting he couldn't cut it with us at the Bottom end of the premiership?

21 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So we paid a lot to sign a perennially injured McAllister.... when we could have got Shankland for free! Right there is your regular scorer capable at this level.

You mention Shankland a lot. If rumours are true, his Dundee United signing on fee would be much higher than any transfer fee we’ve paid since the 90’s.