Magennis playing wide

Doakes

33 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Thought this was worthy of a debate.

Does anyone else agree that Kyle Magennis has been somewhat wasted by playing out wide so far this season?

No question for me that his best position is in the middle of the park as a centre mid...

I guess it depends on the structure we’re playing.

You could argue he’s not a wide player in a 4-4-2, but then he created our two best chances on Saturday.

I like him in the ‘3’ when we go 4-2-3-1 as he’s great at cutting in and pressing the full backs, see our goal against Aberdeen. 

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

Does anyone else agree that Kyle Magennis has been somewhat wasted by playing out wide so far this season?

No question for me that his best position is in the middle of the park as a centre mid...

I'm not sure I would say wasted. He has one goal already and could well have had two more on Saturday. Along with Hladky, our stand out player this season, imo. 

3 hours ago, Doakes said:

I get why you ask this. I too like him more central but JG has to juggle people in to fit his formations, and he clearly likes Foley and Flynn as the CM's.

It is easy to see why - they are the best at tracking back and covering, as well as being a link going forwards too.

Kyle for me is playing well, but not yet firing 100%. Had his 2 shots gone in instead of hitting the woodwork, we would all be arguing otherwise.

He is a talent who can play right across the midfield. I think he'd prefer being on the right, but he will be where JG dictates.

I don't think he is wasted in any of these roles, but whether wide is his best position is definitely not a given...

2 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

He is performing ok in the wide role however when he’s there we struggle to have anyone in the middle passing the ball out to players in the wide areas.

Similarly, I feel for our strikers who so far are receiving little or no service.

JG will find the winning formation soon.

Wish he would hurry up and find it

6 hours ago, aldo_j said:

I guess it depends on the structure we’re playing.

You could argue he’s not a wide player in a 4-4-2, but then he created our two best chances on Saturday.

I like him in the ‘3’ when we go 4-2-3-1 as he’s great at cutting in and pressing the full backs, see our goal against Aberdeen. 

I'd agree with that, I prefer the 4-2-3-1 however would like to see Magennis play in the 2 , I feel like Magennis and Foley would dominate a midfield battle. Maybe play Flynn further forward, great player but sometimes gets bullied against more physical teams 

6 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

He is performing ok in the wide role however when he’s there we struggle to have anyone in the middle passing the ball out to players in the wide areas.

Similarly, I feel for our strikers who so far are receiving little or no service.

JG will find the winning formation soon.

Putting balls into wide areas was Captain Fantastic's speciality. Sadly looks like he has been frozen out fit for weeks cant get on the bench or even a game with the reserves.