The January 2020 Transfer Window

Sweeper07

Tomorrow we wake up with 45 days till the January window opens.

Hoping the behind the scenes scouting is already paying dividends and players are being lined up and signed early in January rather than at the last minute . . . 

Rumours could start earlier than this though, but they have kept most things close to their chest previously...

On 9/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, St.Ricky said:
On 9/25/2019 at 7:18 PM, Sweeper07 said:

I think we need to find some top guys on the way up and have them on 4 year contracts. first year they get into the team a bit a first then claim a starting spot, next season they are stars and they either perform great a 3rd season and get sold or go after the 2nd season for big money with good sell on clauses

Sounds like a plan. 

IF  only his name was striker.....................sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• 4 weeks later...

The Transfer window opens 2 weeks from tomorrow...

Nothing much leaking out . . . either great work or worrying.

Given that we don't have any fixtures until the 22nd January, the only rush is getting players in before an other club gets them...

Who will be leaving : on loan or permanently ? ? ? ? ? 

22 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Nothing much leaking out . . . either great work or worrying.

I can't remember the last time a genuine leak came out. For most of us, the first time we'd even heard of Obika, Durmus, Morias, and others, was when they were being announced.

So I wouldn't worry too much. It strikes me that Goodwin will be very aware of the deficiencies in the squad, so I'm sure everything possible is being done.

52 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I can't remember the last time a genuine leak came out. For most of us, the first time we'd even heard of Obika, Durmus, Morias, and others, was when they were being announced.

So I wouldn't worry too much. It strikes me that Goodwin will be very aware of the deficiencies in the squad, so I'm sure everything possible is being done.

I think so too. I am not overly worried, but it is this game of juggling budget, getting some players out to help that, and trying to get some better players to come in, haggling with their representatives, contracts and the signing. Then its how they fit in and how fit and useful they are to us...

It is the same sort of demands for every team, but some get better results than others. We obviously want to do better than our rivals etc.

Considering the mess we began the season in - we are not in a terrible shape right now - 2, 3 or 4 better fit players to improve and strengthen our squad, and we will retain our place for next season in the top league. Then its another summer of change (not wholesale, but some) and I am hopeful we will be above the relegation worries at the end of 2021. (Three seasons in a row in the top tear and progress in each - that would be a big well done to all who might help achieve this)

It will also be better for supporters, seeing a better product, winning more often, fearing the worst less often etc too.

The last time a genuine leak came out was yesterday - did you not see Flareybob's post?

On 12/18/2019 at 8:22 PM, Lethal89 said:

The rumour I heard on Saturday was Stephen McGinn to Dundee Utd due to a lack of playing time

I saw something said along them lines on St Mirren Facebook book page . Would be a good option for Dundee United , or Falkirk as they push for promotion .

We are relatively well covered in central midfield with Foley , Magennis, McPherson and Flynn . So if we can move McGinn on and get a couple of youngsters out on loan , we could maybe strengthen in central defence and up front .

On 12/18/2019 at 8:22 PM, Lethal89 said:

The rumour I heard on Saturday was Stephen McGinn to Dundee Utd due to a lack of playing time

Cant see Utd spending money on any player, since they are so far ahead of everybody else in the league, it is as good as won. 

The window is almost upon us, the time for action doth approach.

What positions will be stengthened?  Who will come ? Who will leave?

All questions that we could start to discuss/answer from today.

Meaning that everything typed in this thread up until now is and alwayd was irrelevent.

Happy New Year when it comes Buddies, im away on a wee pensioners trip for the bells, happy new year indeed.

My prediction...

In...
Left back
Two centre halfs
Winger
Striker

Out...
McLaughlin
Djorkaev
S. McGinn
J. Baird

You think we’ll keep Waters ?

Agree with the positions you suggest we go for.

Is Djorkaeff on a 12mnth contract ? If so do we terminate by mutual consent ?

I hope we can keep McLoughlin but not sure Hull will allow that. And no idea if he’d be happy to stay.

Would be sad to see either or both McGinn or Baird go, but at the same time I’m not sure JG sees a future for them.

I think a priority should be trying to keep McLaughlin. Wouldn't be averse to also keeping Waters, but we definitely need another full back, Waters lack of height can be exposed quite badly. Also need another centre half, or two if McLaughlin leaves. I don't think either Mackenzie or Baird have a long term future at the club.

I'd rather keep McGinn, but understand he might want more game time. We'd only need another winger if McAllister is struggling with injury, and another striker if one leaves, Mullen perhaps the likeliest. Agree that Djorkaeff may leave as he's hardly played.

Unless we are offered a million for Hladky we should keep him also.

I hope we can keep McLoughlin but not sure Hull will allow that. And no idea if he’d be happy to stay.

Would be sad to see either or both McGinn or Baird go, but at the same time I’m not sure JG sees a future for them.
I do think we will keep Waters...
I think the manager rates him.

Note, it was my prediction, not necessarily my preference. [emoji12]

7 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Paul McGinn has played every game he's been fit and has played 3 positions well enough. Why do you think the manager doesn't see a future for him?

I think Buddie in EK has it pretty much right to be honest, though I can see Waters leaving if we get a capable replacement, especially with McGinn covering LB reasonably well. I also think Djork will stay. He's cheap cover for a couple of positions. We might mutual consent him if it's what he wants and someone else wants to sign him I suppose, but otherwise I think he'll stay.