Thomas Cook

faraway saint

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I was up most of night when it became obvious what was about to happen. I got onto BA within a couple of minutes of CAA announcement and booked for Miami tomorrow morning. Transferred car hire as well and contacted credit card team at bank for refund on initial flight. 

My own impact has been minimal compared to some (most, I'd imagine) passengers but then I had a backup plan in mind the whole time. Just got lucky that I got in before the hike as the BA flight to Miami has went up by nearly 200 quid since 2am. 

Good work, dj!

You’ll appreciate your holiday even more now.

2 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

My daughter has just lost her job, she’s gutted. She’s been at the Silverburn branch for a few years now.

Shame, seemingly 9,000 employees in the UK alone.

There were some reports up here that the staff in the shop were getting abuse over the weekend.

I realise emotions are high for some people who have booked a holiday but taking it out on shop staff isn't on. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Shame, seemingly 9,000 employees in the UK alone.

There were some reports up here that the staff in the shop were getting abuse over the weekend.

I realise emotions are high for some people who have booked a holiday but taking it out on shop staff isn't on. 

That is because a lot of people are just basically cunts.

Guest TPAFKATS
My daughter has just lost her job, she’s gutted. She’s been at the Silverburn branch for a few years now.
Hope she picks something up soon buddie.

Ideally there will be staff required at other companies (shops, call centres, airline crew and resorts) due to them picking up the capacity from Thomas Cook's huge market share.

Guest TPAFKATS

Is that the same banking institutions that were bailed out by the then government using public funds around ten years ago?
RBS have also refused to pay back their bail out. Disaster capitalism sees hedge funds make millions out of this event.
UK Gov spending more to bring folk home than the 250 million bailout they were asked for.
Gov, hedge funds and banks all too cosy with each other
Cunts

11 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

RBS have also refused to pay back their bail out. Disaster capitalism sees hedge funds make millions out of this event.
UK Gov spending more to bring folk home than the 250 million bailout they were asked for.
Gov, hedge funds and banks all too cosy with each other
Cunts

Indeed but as Thomas Cook look as though they are haemorrhaging money the govt didn't, unfortunately rightly IMO, decide to throw good money after bad. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Indeed but as Thomas Cook look as though they are haemorrhaging money the govt didn't, unfortunately rightly IMO, decide to throw good money after bad. 

For that reason and others, the government have done exactly the right thing here.

Redundancy is a bastard of a thing to go through but almost everyone who lost their jobs today will eventually find a decent job. Might be a few difficult months ahead though.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

For that reason and others, the government have done exactly the right thing here.

Redundancy is a bastard of a thing to go through but almost everyone who lost their jobs today will eventually find a decent job. Might be a few difficult months ahead though.

Might need a Food Bank

The government should have bailed them out and took an equity stake , it was good enough for the banks, instead a fortune has to be spent bringing people back from abroad, 9000 staff out of work, thousands of holidays cancelled and less choice in the market going forward which will mean increased prices for all.

I take the point about them haemorrhaging money but none of us know what their plan was to get back to recovery, you are making assumptions with no idea. Fosun was prepared to put in another £900,000,000 so there must have been some faith or at least a chance.

Instead what will it cost the government not to mention the issues caused by the collapse.

Would it have worked , no idea but worth a bet more than the f**kers in the banks

Unfortunately, the fact that administration was bypassed altogether and liquidation was the first port of call, suggests that the Government were correct not to bail them out on this occasion. The extra £200m required would have likely been very much a temporary solution. It's a sad situation all round.

Those already rich from the company coffers need not lose any sleep as this, of course, will not send them to the poor house. They will still wake up in their massive houses with not a financial woe in the world. 

Seen rumours already that Fosun could buy certain rights to branding, etc and relaunch the brand down the line. I don't know of the possibility or even legality of this but it would be absolutely ludicrous as there would be no faith in Thomas Cook as a brand in the eyes of the public. 

Look at Woolworths which struggled on for another 8 years after brand faith was long since dead. Funnily enough, they also announced a comeback for 2020 just 2 days ago (which went largely unnoticed) and that will have a similar outlook with the public, I feel. 

Edited by djchapsticks

The last time 1 flew with them was around 10 years ago coming back from Faro,

Wee skinny guy in front of me decided to decline his seat right back.

Ask him to put it back up but he refused.

Ask steward what the score was, and her answer was he is allowed and then she walked away with no attempt to ask the guy.

Spent the next 2 hrs sticking my knee into the back of the seat for some childish revenge.

Since then I fly only with Jet 2 since their seat doesn't decline.

Thomas Cook lost me as a customer that day for me never to return. 

20 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The last time 1 flew with them was around 10 years ago coming back from Faro,

Wee skinny guy in front of me decided to decline his seat right back.

Ask him to put it back up but he refused.

Ask steward what the score was, and her answer was he is allowed and then she walked away with no attempt to ask the guy.

Spent the next 2 hrs sticking my knee into the back of the seat for some childish revenge.

Since then I fly only with Jet 2 since their seat doesn't decline.

Thomas Cook lost me as a customer that day for me never to return. 

I had an arrogant twat think it was smart to pull a sneaky stunt like that a few months ago

a sharp word in his ear stopped the knees in the back of the chair. That is what the wee guy should have done in your case

pay for extra legroom the next time