St Mirren v Hearts, Sat 28th Sept

faraway saint

Apart from offside goal didn't test keeper once. Better pace in attack first half but wing play gets insufficient support coming into box and delivery is not consistently good enough. Defending is solid and midfield works hard. Would start Mullen and obika though. We will go down unless we sort attack

41 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Jonathan Sutherland describes us as toothless. Do we have a coach for the strikers? If yes, should we sack him and get another? If no, should we get one? Does McCoist not live nearby. A couple of sessions a week couldn't do any harm

His description is accurate. I don't think we have a coach for the strikers so your idea would get my vote. 

Current position..........................

Team P GD Pts
1   Celtic 7 17 19

2   Rangers 7 16 18
3   Motherwell 7 3 13

4   Aberdeen 7 0 11
5   Ross County 7 -1 11
6   Livingston 7 -1 8
7   Kilmarnock 7 -2 8
8   Hamilton 7 -3 8
9   Hearts 7 -3 6
10   St Mirren 7 -3 5

11   Hibernian 7 -10 5

12   St Johnstone 7 -13 3

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Current position..........................

Team P GD Pts
1   Celtic 7 17 19

2   Rangers 7 16 18
3   Motherwell 7 3 13

4   Aberdeen 7 0 11
5   Ross County 7 -1 11
6   Livingston 7 -1 8
7   Kilmarnock 7 -2 8
8   Hamilton 7 -3 8
9   Hearts 7 -3 6
10   St Mirren 7 -3 5

11   Hibernian 7 -10 5

12   St Johnstone 7 -13 3

Only a couple of wins off Fitzy’s 4th spot. 🤣

58 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Hladky, McGinn, Broadfoot, Flynn, Foley, Magennis is a good base team.

Agree with this. Would probably add Durmus to the list but unfortunately for him he doesn't get many decent balls from his full back (unlike McGinn/Magennis on the right). As much as I do not like him Richard Foster would have been an excellent signing from the Fakes.

Mullen did more in his first touch than Morais did in the previous 60 mins. And we looked more a threat playing two strikers rather than with one supported by a midfielder. Hope Jim starts with Mullen and Obika next week.

Could you greenkeepers out there explain to me why we keep watering the pitch when the ball is held up in the water and players are sliding all about the place.  Crazy!
The players couldn't stay upright.

You'd think being the home team could afford you an advantage... Prepare... Correct studs...

But no...

It was like an ice hockey match!

21 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Could you greenkeepers out there explain to me why we keep watering the pitch when the ball is held up in the water and players are sliding all about the place.  Crazy!

Was going to post much the same. Not only is the pitch soaking, it's cutting up in areas. Don't remember the pitch being in such bad shape at this time of the year.

As much as it’s frustrating seeing us struggling in attack - I find today’s performance pretty encouraging. 

We looked absolutely solid. We’ve got very good foundations and are competing in games where for much of last season we were getting swept aside easily. Best goals against outside the old firm? 

Yes, we look toothless in the final 3rd at the moment. We need to create more chances and the strikers need to get off the mark. That’s the challenge but give it time and I think we’re heading in the right direction. 

5 minutes ago, Taylor Edgar said:
38 minutes ago, munoz said:
Positive- we dont look like we'll lose. 
Negative- we don't look like we'll win.
Bring back the Hammill. 

Adam hammill signed for stockport county

Ah well. Surely there must be out of contract players just like Kearney found last season that could make  the difference.  

Has Jackson signed for any team ? 

Guest TPAFKATS

We were the better team in first half, couldn't take our chances. Hertz only threatened at set plays and crosses from mulraney.
Still waiting to hear why the andreu goal was offside (I'm not wading through hundreds of posts on here).
Second half we sat back deeper and deeper. Surprising as we should have been fresher than them. Mibees just a sign of a team low in confidence and looking to hang onto a point.

Looked more of a threat when we changed the front 2.

As others noted, the watering of the putsch was a bit excessive. You could see the moudture on half a dozen patches at least, still showing after 70 minutes and spray flying up as the ball was passed through it.

Need to start with mullen next week.
Away from home I don't see us going with 2 up front to begin with.

Guest TPAFKATS
Ah well. Surely there must be out of contract players just like Kearney found last season that could make  the difference.  
Jackson didn't score much but he stretched defences with his movement. Noticeable now that we don't have that, although mullen does offer a level of this when playing.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
5 minutes ago, munoz said:

Jackson didn't score much but he stretched defences with his movement. Noticeable now that we don't have that, although mullen does offer a level of this when playing.

Jackson had a great engine and gave his all. Unfortunately he (Again) didn't score enough.  Decent forwards are notoriously difficult to find. Thomo and the like are like gold dust to teams like us. 

Find a prolific target man and we are top 6- dont , and we are what we are currently. 

I think the issue with Morais is he can't play the lone striker role. He struggled to hold the ball up for runners from midfield, wants to come short all the time leaving no-one up front, resulting in us struggling to break up the park. The difference when Mullen and Obika came on was noticeable.

However, at this point last season, we had scored the same number of goals but lost 13. This got me wondering where the fantastic defensive signings Alan Stubbs made are now.

Josh Heaton is now playing for Bradford Park Avenue in the sixth tier of English football. They are second bottom of the league with a goal difference of minus 29, lost 8-0 today, but to be fair this wasn't his fault, as he was suspended having been sent off the previous week in a 4-2 FA Cup defeat.

Cole Kpekewa has now signed for a Slovakian side. He was sent off after nine minutes of his debut after breaking the leg of an opponent and has now been banned by the Slovakian FA for six months. 

We're on a journey and should be grateful of the progress we have made.