St Mirren v Hearts, Sat 28th Sept

faraway saint

2 hours ago, munoz said:

Jackson had a great engine and gave his all. Unfortunately he (Again) didn't score enough.  Decent forwards are notoriously difficult to find. Thomo and the like are like gold dust to teams like us. 

Find a prolific target man and we are top 6- dont , and we are what we are currently. 

:lol:

Got quite a lot to say about this game tomorrow that being Sunday. What I will say just now  is I fully expect us to be in a usual relegation battle. Hearts did not need a goalie we still would not have scored.  Jim you said I will have the fans out the seats. Hope so it will take time. Right now the team is not right especially up front. Also you need to try Stephen McGinn at least one game. Flynn has been very good. But BUT today it was not  move forward with speed.  It did not happen it was pass back or sideways giving Hearts time to get every player back. Junior very poor. Kyle captain poor, Mcalister poor, A point may be looked on as good. Hearts are weak just now to injuries.  We were utter bullshit.  Come on Jim time to mix up the team. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

We have the best goalkeeper in recent memory and maybe of all time playing for us, so surely this is the time to be more expansive? As much as I admire the players work rate we seem to set up being more worried about how the opponents are playing rather than focusing on our strengths going forward. Maybe we don't have many but if we don't try we will never know. There is a coat of paint this season between all the clubs outside the old firm but we still find ourselves struggling towards the bottom of the league.

Our defensive record is very commendable but 3 goals scored in 7 games is not good enough and there are only so many hard luck stories that the manager can spout. I have no problem setting up against the old firm in the way we are playing but we need to take the shackles off against the other teams.

Probably should not have posted this on the match day thread but there wasn't really much to talk about again!

As much as it’s frustrating seeing us struggling in attack - I find today’s performance pretty encouraging. 
We looked absolutely solid. We’ve got very good foundations and are competing in games where for much of last season we were getting swept aside easily. Best goals against outside the old firm? 
Yes, we look toothless in the final 3rd at the moment. We need to create more chances and the strikers need to get off the mark. That’s the challenge but give it time and I think we’re heading in the right direction. 

Totally agree while I was frustrated with our forward play I thought we played not to bad. Really need to address the striker options soon. The 11 we finished with should of been the 11 we started with.

I think we can all see the area that needs improvement. We have a solid defence, backed up by an excellent goalkeeper. Midfield seems to be working pretty well, with Flynn and Foley developing a good understanding. It's the attack which isn't working. I was surprised that JG started Morias again, as he was very poor against Hamilton. What chance does such a small man have, playing lone striker against tall defenders? Before the game I was sure that Obika would start. At least he's a bit taller! Also thought Danny Mullen was decent when he came on. We urgently need at least one of the strikers to find a scoring touch.

We've depended a lot on Magennis this season, and we see the result when he is even just slightly below par, like yesterday. Kyle McAllister continues to be a bit of a mystery. It's been a while now since we've seen him at his best. He really needs to perform better, and with more consistency.

28 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Found it.....................5,901

More than 5 times the Accies  v Livvy  crowd   :lol:    

Fortunate to get a point i reckon with all the Hearts shots going straight to the keeper, with us trying to win without shooting  :zipit

Was the stand lineman the Tory MP  ?   

Disappointed we started with one up front at home. Particularly against a Hearts side that is really struggling.
In his post-match interview Goodwin said he set out the side to catch Hearts on the breakaway. That sounds sadly negative and doesn’t bode well for games against good sides.
Thought we looked much more likely when we switched to two forwards.

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

More than 5 times the Accies  v Livvy  crowd   :lol:    

Fortunate to get a point i reckon with all the Hearts shots going straight to the keeper, with us trying to win without shooting  :zipit

Was the stand lineman the Tory MP  ?   

Yes. He got some amount of abuse all game. 

And rightly so. 

1 hour ago, doonhamer said:

Disappointed we started with one up front at home. Particularly against a Hearts side that is really struggling.
In his post-match interview Goodwin said he set out the side to catch Hearts on the breakaway. That sounds sadly negative and doesn’t bode well for games against good sides.
Thought we looked much more likely when we switched to two forwards.

I can't argue too much with the effectiveness of our defensive set up. Only 6 goals lost in the league so far. Most games have seen the opposition forced into taking shots from long range. Having only one player up front relies upon either that players ability to hold the ball or having great pace. Alternatively our wing men hitting the bye line for incoming midfielders. So yes.. Looked more dangerous with two up front. 

1 hour ago, dumbarton_bud said:

Yes. He got some amount of abuse all game. 

And rightly so. 

I have noticed he always get the main stand of the ground, not only at our place but every other ground that i have see him at.

Maybe the SFA thinks it is only Tories supporters than sits in the main stand and are scared of putting him in front of non Tories fans :lol:

8 minutes ago, delpierro said:

We've been reduced to taking some sort of comfort from our defensive quality.
However a quick glance at Goal Diff., puts pay to any shouting.

Don't think that is entirely fair. Our GD is - 3, Two teams are in minus double figures and only two outside the top 4 or 5 are on - 1 or 2. 

37 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I have noticed he always get the main stand of the ground, not only at our place but every other ground that i have see him at.

Maybe the SFA thinks it is only Tories supporters than sits in the main stand and are scared of putting him in front of non Tories fans :lol:

Plenty of non-tory fans in the main stand, as the wee tory ****  will have heard quite clearly.😉

Edited by FTOF

10 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

As you can only think that most or all know that. I'll take that as you just made it up as thinking ain't your speciality when combined with story telling. emoji23.png

Ah dear. You are just so slow but its nice of you to back me up. Yes. Think that's true. Often covered before. 

Edited by St.Ricky

21 hours ago, ford prefect said:

Our squad is like Greenock. Toothless. Stubbs, Craig and Goodwin all wouldn't know a striker if one bit them on the arse. If the first two had lifted a cup with us they would have got an easy ride with the forum "experts"

We are toothless but Goodwin in the same breath as Stubbs and Craig is a joke.

Stubbs and Craig not only didn't know a striker if one bit them on the arse, they didn't know defenders either.

One also turned a midfield with the likes of Flynn, McGinn and Magennis into sheer dross. The other relegated a literal future Scotland midfield.

At least with Goodwin we are clearly setup firstly to not concede goals, and its working.

Unfortunately, we aren't scoring a lot of goals but we're not the first team this has happened to. All the best teams are built on a good defence. Goals will come and Goody will come good.