Jump to content

faraway saint

St Mirren v Hearts, Sat 28th Sept

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of your point:

16th February: Aberdeen 2 - St Mirren 2 (just over 2 weeks after Kearney's only transfer window closed)

23rd February: Hearts 1 - St Mirren 1

2nd March: St Mirren 1 - Livingston 0

 

2 draws (one thanks to a lucky OG) and a very fortunate win with a goal in the 90th min. 

After the Livi game we went on to lose 3 out of the next 4 games too.

8 points out of a possible 21.

Don't let facts get in the way of your point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I think you are overly-generous on Jack Ross' "good signing policy" in return for shipping out Lawrence Shankland and selling Jason Naismith, Kyle McAllister, Stevie Mallon and Lewis Morgan Jack Ross signed (and re-signed) over 40 players in 3 transfer windows (i.e. 18 months)

1. Craig Storrie 2. Rory Loy - brought in to replace Shankland 3. Pal Fjelde 4. Josh Todd 5. Billy 'The Fish' O' Brien 6. Stellios (was signed twice by Jack Ross) 7. Cammy Smith (was signed twice by Jack Ross). 8. Stephen McGinn (was signed twice by Jack Ross) 9. Adam Eckersley (signed twice by Jack Ross) 10. Harry Davis (signed twice by Jack Ross) 11. Jack Baird (given 2 contract extensions by Jack Ross) 13. Jamie Langfield (player contract extended and brought on to the coaching team by Jack Ross)  14. Ross Stewart 15 Jordan Kirkpatrick 16 Ross Stewart 17. Gregor Buchanan 18. Gary Irvine (contract extension) 22. Dale Hilson. 23. Ian McShane 24. Darryl Duffy 25. Liam Smith 26. Jamie McCart 27. Danny Mullen (signed twice, 2nd time on a 2 and a half year deal when we were heading from the premiership), 28. Ryan Flynn 29. Mark Hill 30. Myles Hippolyte 31. Gary MacKenzie (2 contract extensions from Jack Ross) 32. Massimo Donati (does any signing better illustrate the extravagant spending spree Jack was allowed to go on during his time with us?) 33. Jim Kellerman 34. Paul McGinn.

Inspired signings by Jack Ross (out of 40): Stephen McGinn; Cammy Smith; Adam Eckersley; Harry Davis; (all signed during his 1st window)

Decent signings by Jack Ross: Stellios (1st season); Rory Loy; Craig Samson; Liam Smith; Paul McGinn

Jack Ross signings who only played about 5 games a season or less under him (or subsequent managers): Craig Storrie; Pal Fjelde; Josh Todd; Jamie Langfield; Ross Stewart; Jordan Kirkpatrick, Ross Stewart, Gary Irvine, Dale Hilson, Darryl Duffy, Jamie McCart, Mark Hill, Massimo Donati, Myles Hippolyte, Jim Kellerman, Gregor Buchanan.

Jack Ross signings who looked decent for 6 months before falling out of favour with Jack Ross: Gavin Reilly (still offered a contract extension when we move up a league after being dropped in favour of hardly-scoring Danny Mullen), Ian McShane. Jack Ross didn't win a game until his 4th month in the job (December - after being appointed in September).

Players who did a job at the time: Billy O'Brien (brought in to replace Jamie Langfield - before Jamie Langfield was given a new contract as a player and coach) , Stellios (2nd season).

0% of Jack Ross' punts / investments for the future worked out during his own time at the club - the 2 Ross Stewarts are now playing regular premiership football elsewhere.

The squad inherited by Oran Kearney in the premiership was significantly poorer than the one inherited by Jack Ross in the Championship (Naismith, MacKenzie, Irvine, McAllister, Morgan, Mallan, Shankland!). After the fiasco of Stubbs, Oran brought in Hammill,  Lyness, Ferdinand, Jackson, Hladky, Muzek, Popescu, Dreyer, Lyons,  McAllister, The Duck. I'd suggest that Oran achieved a similar number of inspired signings in 1 transfer window as Jack Ross achieved in 3 and the only players signed by Kearney who hardly featured were the right back (Paul McGinn kept him out the team) and the Duck. 

A lot of opinion and not a lot of fact.

The facts are he essentially rebuilt the team in Jan 2017 and kept us up, added another significant amount of players in the summer, followed by another handful of players in the winter to ensure we went up. All targets achieved.

For starts you have Paul McGinn - our POTY as only a decent signing.

I'd also argue 20 goals Gavin Reilly was pretty inspired and Ian McShane with some of the most assists in the league as pretty inspired also. Decent signings for that level.

Both Ross Stewarts as you say are now playing every week and doing well. 2 more good signings in hindsight no longer at club thanks to Mr Stubbs.

Stelios scored some important goals in his time. Where would we be without his double against Hibs in March 2017? Decent signing for that level.

We've yet to see the best of Mullen - he was signed as a project player. Done well in Championship without scoring a lot of goals. Was hardly given a run of games last year and still ended as our top scorer.

Your point about playing 5 games is bizarre - the like of Hilson and McCart were signed to fill gaps... as we know the likes of them came in and done a job when asked. That's the point in having a squad...

Let's not forget OK had Gus M holding his hand during the window to bring in the players you mentioned either. By your own rather bizarre judging process surely Lyons, Dreyer, Duck, Corbu, Musek, Holmes, Ferdinand and Lyness all fall into only the decent/poor/or strange 'less than 5 games' category? Not so impressive when you look at it without bias.

 

Edited by W6Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

2 draws (one thanks to a lucky OG) and a very fortunate win with a goal in the 90th min. 

After the Livi game we went on to lose 3 out of the next 4 games too.

8 points out of a possible 21.

Don't let facts get in the way of your point.

 

If you want to start bringing luck and last minute goals into things:

2nd February: Rangers 4 - St Mirren 0 (Andrew Dallas awards Rangers 5 penalties in 1 game, the first goal from open play came in the 81st minute)

11th March: St Mirren 0 - Kilmarnock 1 (on a horrendous night, we lose to a last minute goal against a team who finish in 3rd place)

27th March: St Johnstone 1 - St Mirren 0 (Simeon Jackson misses that penalty).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

A lot of opinion and not a lot of fact.

The facts are he essentially rebuilt the team in Jan 2017 and kept us up, added another significant amount of players in the summer, followed by another handful of players in the winter to ensure we went up. All targets achieved.

For starts you have Paul McGinn - our POTY as only a decent signing.

I'd also argue 20 goals Gavin Reilly was pretty inspired and Ian McShane with some of the most assists in the league as pretty inspired also. Decent signings for that level.

Both Ross Stewarts as you say are now playing every week and doing well. 2 more good signings in hindsight no longer at club thanks to Mr Stubbs.

Stelios scored some important goals in his time. Where would we be without his double against Hibs in March 2017? Decent signing for that level.

We've yet to see the best of Mullen - he was signed as a project player. Done well in Championship without scoring a lot of goals. Was hardly given a run of games last year and still ended as our top scorer.

Your point about playing 5 games is bizarre - the like of Hilson and McCart were signed to fill gaps... as we know the likes of them came in and done a job when asked. That's the point in having a squad...

Let's not forget OK had Gus M holding his hand during the window to bring in the players you mentioned either. By your own rather bizarre judging process surely Lyons, Dreyer, Duck, Corbu, Musek, Holmes, Ferdinand and Lyness all fall into only the decent/poor/or strange 'less than 5 games' category? Not so impressive when you look at it without bias.

 

Alan Stubbs gave both Ross Stewarts about as much game time as Jack Ross did whilst being at he club for a shorter period of time. Jack Ross was the one who dropped Reilly after signing Mullen. Gareth Wardlaw once kept us in the premier league with about his only goal of the season... does he count as a good signing because it was an important goal?

McCart I think played 1 game, possibly two, as did Hill, as did Buchanan, as did Donati, almost half of Jack Ross' signings hardly played for him! Hippolyte signed for us after promotion to the premier league was almost certain... money well spent?

Maybe Jack should have signed Mullen on a 5 year deal so that we can get the best out of him in years 3, 4, and 5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack this, OK that.  f**k off.  Neither are our manager now and neither is going to be anytime soon. The only thing we need to worry about is how Goody is doing. So far I'd give him a seven. Came in late, Inherited f**k all from OK and built a team that at least looks well organised and difficult to beat. Needs a bit of polish upfront. I'd say we are comparable to Ross Jack's first season team around the start of the transfer window. We had stopped losing every game and resembling the keystone cops, and with a few tweaks and signings,  began to find a goal threat. 

If we can start scoring goals, then I think we'll do alright. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 2:38 PM, insaintee said:

Jack this, OK that.  f**k off.  Neither are our manager now and neither is going to be anytime soon. The only thing we need to worry about is how Goody is doing. So far I'd give him a seven. Came in late, Inherited f**k all from OK and built a team that at least looks well organised and difficult to beat. Needs a bit of polish upfront. I'd say we are comparable to Ross Jack's first season team around the start of the transfer window. We had stopped losing every game and resembling the keystone cops, and with a few tweaks and signings,  began to find a goal threat. 

If we can start scoring goals, then I think we'll do alright. 

 

Intellectual addition to the discussion.

Edited by W6Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...