First Quarter Points Target

The positive is we have not been humped, unlike most of the bottom 6.
The negative is our goals scored is pitiful, 5 goals in 11 games. 
It is a bonus we are within 2 points of 4 teams.
Points tally for the next quarter, oh, 10.
As the post above mentions, at least one team, I believe 2, will break away leaving 3 teams after the half way point (in fact over half way) fighting it out for survival. 
Isn't it a worry that St Johnstone have jumped above us in a few days? 
The point on St Johnstone is valid. Getting two wins is everything compared to not conceding many goals.
If you lose by one, you've still lost..!
It was, it is and always will be points that count. Nothing else just points.

At the start of the season I thought we at last would be mid table. Now I would take 10th as success.  Not because we are crap the premiership has a high level of defenders which are hard to break down.  The training ground is where work is needed for the midfield and forward line. If Jim could get Thommo a forward coaching role I'm sure it would pay dividends. 

You said only points mattered and then that only they two had better success than Ross. They can't both be true since neither of them managed in the same league as Ross, yet teams finished above Sunderland.

Basically, if only points matter then others did better than Ross in his league and if only they two had more success than Ross then you must think something else matters.

That, bud, is how you contradicted yourself.
I accept your apology. No need to make yourself look a bigger berk in the process though with that clusterf**k of a climbdown above. lol

You gotta laugh innit.. only a st moan fan could try to turn a points tally that puts a manager up with Klopp and Guardiola as a negative!
Theres a lot more teams above em now!

This is what you seem to be misunderstanding.
Sunderlands points tally WASN'T up there with these 2 managers.
Their points tally wasn't even up there with teams in their league, and a few other leagues. 
Plenty of teams had more points, which is ALL that matters.
Not losing that many is immaterial when you draw a massive amount of games.
There were 4 teams above them last season at the end of the season, at this stage their are 6, still plenty of games to go I think. 
The new manager has a chance in January to sign his own players, we all know how important that can be.
The info is crystal clear.. Ross was in his time at Sunderland only bettered by two other managers in points gained.
Feck me everyone knows they didn't win their league, but their manager had the third best standing in points gained.

Show me the info that is crystal clear please on points gained.
I, seriously, think you're are having a mental block on this point.
You seem to be getting confused between Ross not losing many games and forgetting his games won and drawn and, more importantly, points gained was not as good as many teams/managers.
image.png.beadfccb59372bf5f0f8432c3cdfcef9.png
This is going nowhere, ta ta. 

I accept your surrender bud. If you can prove Ross was not rated as the third best manager in his time for points gained please publish it like this...

7 - Of current teams within the top four tiers of English league football, only Liverpool (1) and Manchester City (6) have lost fewer league games (excl. playoffs) than Sunderland (7) since Jack Ross was appointed ahead of 2018-19. Dismissed.

Are you really trying to say that the four teams that finished above Sunderland in their league last season had fewer points than Sunderland?

https://www.google.com/search?q=english+league+1+table+2018%2F19&oq=english+league+1&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.10517j1j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
You see right there you are focusing on 'teams' and I am talking managers. Plus the results Ross hot this season before the sack are counted in this info.
It's an independent analysis not my own. And quite simply it shows he had the third best points haul over one and a bit seasons.
You gave to factor in the teams that got promoted haven't got the results they got last season.

Are you really? Then why this from you a couple of posts ago ... "only Liverpool (1) and Manchester City (6)"? Who is this manager named Manchester City?

Can you give a link to this independent analysis instead of just quoting a bit about the number of losses teams have had (which obviously says virtually nothing about points gained)?
Ffs how many times you want this posting?

https://mobile.twitter.com/optajoe/status/1181580287098179584

47 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Sunderland were very, very average on Saturday against a Southend side who seemed set up to try and not lose by a thumping.
Saw a Whitestar coach after the match, was there another trip to the SoL by saints fans, or just coincidence it was there on another hire?

I hope you were supporting the mighty Shrimpers ?

Opta stats quoted seem to relate to number of defeats not points gained For example you can draw 38 games out of 38 and have 38 points Or you can win 30 lose 8 and gain 60 points The first manager leads on games lost and the second on points and league position Get it LPM? Jack Ross might be third in your fewer defeats table but much lower in your points gained table

Edited by Danny

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, faraway saint said:

With 5 games remaining in the first quarter and us sitting on 4 points from 6 games what do we think we should achieve after we've played all the teams in the league? 

The 5 remaining games are Hearts (H), Motherwell (A), St Johnstone (H), Kilmarnock (A) and Celtic (A)

Last season we ended up with 32 points, comfortably ahead of Dundee on 21.

That works out at 8 per quarter, admittedly the last 5 games will all be against diddy teams, if we're in the bottom 6. 

FWIW I can see us sitting on 8 points. 

On 9/25/2019 at 11:39 AM, turrabuddie said:

I agree, 8 points. 3 against the Fakes and a point from any one of Hearts, Well or Killie.

Well done me and you. 

What did Long John predict for the 2nd set of games, I agree with him.